Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 12:37 PM

555 posts, read 892,489 times

Advertisements

Something else to consider: purchasing a small apartment building so that each person/couple has private space, but there is always someone around. My spouse taught in Toledo before retirement (I have another year to go, so he is with me in another town), and we were taken with all the 4-6-unit buildings to be found in some of the older neighborhoods (generally built between 1920-1970). Each apartment has separate heating, cooling, and cable, and most have at least one parking space per unit.

If we migrate that way in retirement, we are considering the purchase of such a building. Here is an example of one in a neighborhood we know and would consider if we were ready to take that leap: 3470 Cheltenham Rd Toledo, OH 43606-1869

It is walking distance (if you don't mind walking along a busy street) to a nice local produce market, a large grocery store, and the university, and is right across the street from a family-owned pizzeria that has been there since the Fifties. Driving time to a selection of nice parks, the mall, and downtown is less than fifteen minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 10:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
this is so ez, so common, yet we (C-D / retirement forum) have our resident K-I-A naysayers who would NEVER consider such a thing and want to make sure you wouldn't consider it either... Wonder why they post on threads that have no application interest to them.? Nothing better to do and always been 'controllers' I suspect. (the world (especially USA) is full of them).

Resources / examples:
http://www.womenlivingincommunity.com/
Welcome to FIC - Fellowship for Intentional Community

Very popular in Denmark / Scandinavia.

I contacted 3 groups in Davis, CA who formed their own housing co-ops. They were very nicely done and members were quite satisfied. They had available community / rental space for shared caretakers and caregivers (if need arose).

Old 11-26-2015, 08:18 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Read recent article in NYT about younger families in NYC who choose to stay in fairly small apts because they have made friends w/other couplEs with children and live as extended families
So don't think this is just for older seniors...

Just lot of legal issues that need to be worked out prior to jumping off the dock and committing

Would be nice if a complex couple work out way to include caregivers as people age and might need help that only younger/stronger residents can provide...

Old 11-26-2015, 08:27 AM

1,204 posts, read 872,859 times
Many of the alternative options presented, I truly believe we could do. Think the only other requirement would be the ability to have a dog.

We have mused about our hopeful return to Soo, Mi might include purchasing a large home with room rentals, in the college area.

We knew of elderly people(as neighbors) who preferred to live in the off campus student areas, as they claimed it helped keep them mentally young. If they needed something heavy to be moved, or storm windows installed, payment was frequently a nice cooked meal or a 12 pack of beer.

One of our neighbors was a very dear lady that we continued to visit and write to for many years. She was very spirited and spunky and just a delight to know.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:43 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
this is so ez, so common, yet we (C-D / retirement forum) have our resident K-I-A naysayers who would NEVER consider such a thing and want to make sure you wouldn't consider it either... Wonder why they post on threads that have no application interest to them.? Nothing better to do and always been 'controllers' I suspect. (the world (especially USA) is full of them).

Resources / examples:

I contacted 3 groups in Davis, CA who formed their own housing co-ops. They were very nicely done and members were quite satisfied. They had available community / rental space for shared caretakers and caregivers (if need arose).

Maybe I'm cynical and biased, but from what I've seen, financial issues exclude a lot or people.

Old 11-26-2015, 02:38 PM

9 posts, read 8,944 times
Great websites for reference, and a couple that I hadn't seen. Though many of them, as freemkt says, are out of reach financially for a number of people, including myself, especially in areas where home prices and the cost of living are higher. Some co-housing projects require buy-in, whereas I want "rent-in". I own a small home now and would prefer to be "homeowner free" one day (divorced and no kids, thus no heirs!). I'd rather sell it, gain a small profit, tuck the $$ away for travel, and rent something somewhere, and it wouldn't chain me to a house if I decide to up and move again. Still, it would be nice to settle somewhere in a community-type place. Jimandthom have a good idea too (I'd be sure to keep some 6-packs handy in the fridge, just in case), with being around young people. That's a consideration as well.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Maybe I'm cynical and biased, but from what I've seen, financial issues exclude a lot or people.
financial issues of shared housing? what would that be? (presuming you have to live 'somewhere'?)

Probably only cheaper to 'live under a bridge' (shared housing as well)
or...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dignity_Village

There are several shared housing groups in Portland, OR.
Shared Housing (on hold due to funding)
National Shared Housing Resource Center : SHARED HOUSING PROGRAM DIRECTORY
House Shares Roommates in Portland Area - Find your House Shares Roommate
Lets Share Housing: Cultivating Community, Home by Home (Portland, OR) - Meetup
https://letssharehousing.com/

Old 11-27-2015, 04:58 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Quote:
1) Would never work for me.
2) Everyone needs their private space.
3) I could see how it would work if you needed the money.
4) Sounds like a good time, but could be a lot of work.
Rate this post positively
Never is a pretty long time. I lived for 20 years right in San Francisco in one of the most expensive areas. And that entire time I had a flatmate because that's pretty much the only way most people can live there. It worked out pretty well in all occasions and three of them I am still pretty good friends with. The two others have moved away and I've not kept in touch or kept track of them (pre-Facebook). We solved the separate living space quite easily - this was a San Francisco flat so it was long and narrow and I had two separate rooms in the front and the other person had two separate rooms in the back. So each person had their own bedroom and living room space (therefore TV) and then we shared the kitchen and the bathroom.

Old 11-28-2015, 02:11 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Resources / examples:

It doesn't really appeal to me. I like that me and the four legged kids are the only occupants of my house. I've lived where we had a bunch of unrelated women and it was awful. Of course, if its done right, it should work. But that demands the wish to share in everyone's part. And everyone has to have something they give.

If this appeals to you then good, it may be a perfect solution. But if its never going to, you can't make someone like it. I think that's the point since its being suggested as an option. And historically its not uncommon, but that was a very different society. People were programmed into roles which we tend not to do now.

The intentional communitites which work are straight forward about their organization and responsibilities, and tend to be very defined. What most people think about as one is the revised boarding house, where those who need a home help with food and a small rent, usually share meals, and yet are free to come and go. In theory this works but you must have people willing to respect others space involved, and most people look at the good parts and don't the responsibilities.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:01 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
I live in a 55+ income based apartment (built almost 5 years ago).

I like my apartment very much. My main complaint is noise. I am on 2nd (highest) floor, try to be considerate of downstairs neighbor as she is for me. Can't hear very much from either neighbor on both sides. Some of the people who live on my floor at my end of the hallway think nothing of banging their door shut. Very annoying (to me). Sometimes late at night, sometimes noon. Doesn't really matter to them. At least daytime is more acceptable for noise tho there are a few on this end who are quite old and could possible be napping or trying to and no doubt are disturbed with each door banged shut. They also stand in the hallway (does not matter time of day/night) and talk in loud voices (like they were outdoors). Same problem with the possibly napping elders (87 and 90+ women). Yes, I have mentioned this to those people directly.

Our management, when you can find her, is recycled quite often. One comes in, leaves a month or two later, we go for long time without one, then another one hired. Then she leaves after a month or two..... and so it goes. None of us are sure why it's like that other than the fact the owners probably don't pay much and expect too much (several apartment complexes with several to many miles in between)..... driving in a spell of bad weather often makes them quit.

If I had money to afford it, I would like something with less people living in it. I have often wished I could find an "in-law" apartment. Nothing so far, not even sure how to find such a thing. Probably drive around looking for signs.

I would really like a place where I could have more than one pet. I think my cat would like a playmate. No way allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement