Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 09:41 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
My DW's nitro-quik has to be replaced every 90 days.

She wears it in a necklace.
90 days is a good guideline. To help ensure minimal degradation make sure the necklace is as airtight as possible. The Pharmacy may be able to supply an unusually small zip-lock bag used to package single doses typically dispensed in hospitals. Additionally, the biggest factor for deterioration is exposure to light. That is why Nitroglycerin is packaged by the manufacturer in amber colored glass bottles.

If storing the nitro in her necklace is the most practical approach for your wife, then wrapping the pills in dark colored cellophane, and placing this in a very tiny zip-lock that will fit in the necklace, is the best guarantee of potency. As a safety net, you can carry the small amber-colored glass vial
of nitro in your pocket when you accompany your wife. This is a back=up supply if the supply in your wife's necklace has lost potency.

There is nothing more frightening to a patient with angina than to take a nitro and find that it has lost it's potency. Best wishes for continued good health to you and your wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 10:28 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Not so much angina, no artery blockages; her heart just stops for a while and incurrs tissue damage. Apparently the inner lining of the chambers gets damaged and sluffs off.

They guess that it is just an un-explained vasospasm, a spasm of the arteries to the heart.

She has had three so far, and each time after a week in a cardiac ward [and every test known to modern man] they have no idea of what is causing them or how to treat. No hi-BP, no hi-cholesterol, no heart disease, no plague, no clogs, etc.

We have cool videos of the dye being injected into the blood as it goes to the heart muscles.

Her necklace has a stainless steel vial the type with a threaded cap and O-ring seal, more commonly used for carrying holy water or oils.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:48 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,638 times
Quote:
Not so much angina, no artery blockages; her heart just stops for a while and incurrs tissue damage. Apparently the inner lining of the chambers gets damaged and sluffs off.

They guess that it is just an un-explained vasospasm, a spasm of the arteries to the heart.

She has had three so far, and each time after a week in a cardiac ward [and every test known to modern man] they have no idea of what is causing them or how to treat. No hi-BP, no hi-cholesterol, no heart disease, no plague, no clogs, etc.

We have cool videos of the dye being injected into the blood as it goes to the heart muscles.

Her necklace has a stainless steel vial the type with a threaded cap and O-ring seal, more commonly used for carrying holy water or oils.
The necklace sounds great. That takes care of the Nitro potency problem.
Unfortunately, the elusive diagnosis must be really stressing you. I am assuming you have already racked your brain to try and remember any change in routine (food or drug ingestion, exercise induced exertion, etc.) immediately preceding the event. I also assume that they cannot pinpoint any ectopic foci on the EKG that might be amenable to a pacemaker. The fact that she recovers fairly quickly points to an acute etiology vs the traditional chronic diseases such as hypertension. Have they considered some type of autoimmune phenomena. This is a shot in the dark, and rather esoteric, but they might look at cardiac specific t-cell response as a possible indicator of autoimmune myocarditis. I wish I could be of more help, but this is way way beyond the scope of an internet chat room. I know you are in Maine, and there are excellent medical resources there. However, if you haven't already, you might want to select a cardiologist in the Boston area. Boston University School of Medicine, Dept of Cardiology may be able to give you a referral. Good luck.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:47 PM

857 posts, read 4,879,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
What mthly income dollar wise do you need to live compfortable when retired or make ends meat so you dont have to choose between perscription drugs or food Will your pension, social security or 401k be enough or must work p/t also.
I wish there was a magic formula to tell you haw much you will need to live on. A friend once told me that whatever amount you think you need to have in savings in order to feel financially secure... when you get to that amt you don't think it's enough. You will always think you need more.
If I knew which side of the family I take after that would tell me if I could retire today or keep on working. Those on Dad's side generally die in their 40's and 50s, while Mom's side go into their 90's. It really makes it difficult to do any financial forecasting!

Old 02-22-2008, 07:14 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Too much depends on what you are accustomed to and as others have pointed out, where you are. If I had stayed in FL, I would not be able to live on my $900/month even though I know there are people in FL living on that or less. It's the personal variable.

Do you have expensive hobbies? Expensive tastes? Love to travel? These all play a part in the scheme of things.

I know people who longed to travel when they retired, but when they actually had the opportunity and freedom to do so, health issues forced them to change their plans.

A person that has horses will need more income than the person content to knit or sew.

I have "retired" on $900/month. I have a friend who gets $2,100/month and it's not enough for her lifestyle. A neighbor manages on $560/month and food stamps. It's really an individual thing.
Where in Maine can you live on $900/month? What town or city are you in?

Old 02-22-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Most areas of Maine. [since 52% of Maine is not within 'organized' townships with their higher tax base]

My pension is near to minimum-wage I am able to support a family and build a house.

I have neighbors who are working part-time seasonally and supporting families.

$900/month would be tight, but doable.

Better if you were not raising children.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:51 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,609,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Forest_beekeeper hit the nail on the head. And it's not just Maine, it's true of most any small or rural town. I bet our interests are vastly different and I bet you aren't partially disabled which limits your mobility.

Shall we compare notes? I have no children. I have inexpensive interests such as cooking, baking, sewing, making soap, photography (the digital type and I am not even good enough to rate as an amateur), gardening, reading, surfing the internet and watching movies. I knew this was coming, knew what I would have and knew where I would be. I bought the things I knew I would need when I was working full time, including most of my power tools.

I stock up on sugar, flour, butter, most baking supplies and spices between November and January because they are always on sale that time of year, no matter where you live in the country. I occasionally take a trip into Canada and buy items there that are less than I can get them in the USA. When you buy in bulk, pennies count.

I eat a lot of tuna and a lot of oatmeal. Truth is I really like oatmeal and tuna. Lucky for me, they are inexpensive and healthy. I only rarely buy prepared or convenience foods like shake-n-bake or bisquick. Making everything from scratch is not only more economical, it generally tastes better, too.

I buy meats that have been reduced. And when there is a good sale, I get as much as I can afford at the time.

I haven't started canning yet, but am already stocking up on the items I will need when I do. I am big on making a big batch of something, such as chili or stew and then freezing serving-sized portions for later use.

I do like carbonated beverages, but generally buy the cheapest I can find in 2 or 3-liter bottles. I want the bottles. I reuse those bottles for just about everything from storing sugar and flour to containers for home made cola beverages. Pennies on the dollar. I am a coffee-holic. But that, too, is on sale between November and January. And all year, I keep those annual sales in mind.

I rarely pay for anything with exact change. I want the change. Change adds up for my little extravagances, like eating out once or twice a month.

It also helps that I invested well when I worked full time and that I saved every possible penny I could for exactly this time in my life.

My house is no Taj Mahal, but it's paid for and it's mine. My yard is far more impressive with nearly 60 acres of trees, meadows and wildlife.

But as I originally pointed out, it's mostly a matter of what you're comfortable with.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Forest_beekeeper hit the nail on the head. And it's not just Maine, it's true of most any small or rural town. I bet our interests are vastly different and I bet you aren't partially disabled which limits your mobility.

Shall we compare notes? I have no children. I have inexpensive interests such as cooking, baking, sewing, making soap, photography (the digital type and I am not even good enough to rate as an amateur), gardening, reading, surfing the internet and watching movies. I knew this was coming, knew what I would have and knew where I would be. I bought the things I knew I would need when I was working full time, including most of my power tools.

I stock up on sugar, flour, butter, most baking supplies and spices between November and January because they are always on sale that time of year, no matter where you live in the country. I occasionally take a trip into Canada and buy items there that are less than I can get them in the USA. When you buy in bulk, pennies count.

I eat a lot of tuna and a lot of oatmeal. Truth is I really like oatmeal and tuna. Lucky for me, they are inexpensive and healthy. I only rarely buy prepared or convenience foods like shake-n-bake or bisquick. Making everything from scratch is not only more economical, it generally tastes better, too.

I buy meats that have been reduced. And when there is a good sale, I get as much as I can afford at the time.

I haven't started canning yet, but am already stocking up on the items I will need when I do. I am big on making a big batch of something, such as chili or stew and then freezing serving-sized portions for later use.

I do like carbonated beverages, but generally buy the cheapest I can find in 2 or 3-liter bottles. I want the bottles. I reuse those bottles for just about everything from storing sugar and flour to containers for home made cola beverages. Pennies on the dollar. I am a coffee-holic. But that, too, is on sale between November and January. And all year, I keep those annual sales in mind.

I rarely pay for anything with exact change. I want the change. Change adds up for my little extravagances, like eating out once or twice a month.

It also helps that I invested well when I worked full time and that I saved every possible penny I could for exactly this time in my life.

My house is no Taj Mahal, but it's paid for and it's mine. My yard is far more impressive with nearly 60 acres of trees, meadows and wildlife.

But as I originally pointed out, it's mostly a matter of what you're comfortable with.
Could I be in love?

hmm, you sound remarkably like my wife.

Tiny variations do seem to exist.

She uses her digital camera for doing 'mystery shopping' jobs. [check it out!]

We have 5-gallon buckets with sugar, flour, rice, wheat, etc.

Home-baked bread is common in our home.

We have the 'hook-up' on cheap coffee too!

You two must have been twins seperated at birth.

I just read her your last post. She thinks you must be a relative.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:06 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,609,504 times
Quote:
Could I be in love?
Yes, with your wife.

Quote:
You two must have been twins seperated at birth.
Umm, that'd be a neat trick since she's 48 (you blabbed it) and I'm 50-something.

Quote:
I just read her your last post. She thinks you must be a relative.
She wouldn't be the first adult I considered adopting as a relative.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:41 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,663,459 times
"Mystery shopping" can provide nice little bonuses or free meals out. I pick up jobs from time to time that appeal to me.
I just finished one that paid $150 to buy a new pair of glasses. Add that to a 50% off coupon for the lenses and my insurance coverage and they ended up costing me $50 instead of the $650 on the receipt.
A lot of mystery shopping is more trouble than it's worth. You need to look at what type of report is required ahead of time. But it can get you some nice little extras, from glasses to a house-cleaning (really!), to a meal at Arby's or McDonalds. You can use this link to apply
[Mod cut-no adsurl]
This is the company that had the eyeglass shop
[Mod cut]
After you sign up, you'll get a lot of e-mails with potential shops. I can usually delete the ones I don't want from the heading.
They usually get desperate for shops in out of the way places and pay bonuses, so don't feel you can't do it if you don't live in a big city.
Another very lucrative way to pick up some extra money is by participating in focus groups. I did this when I lived in Washington, D.C. These are in-person groups, NOT the on-line scams.
They're fun and pay big money in cash. You usually need to be in a city, though. Check Craig's List.

Last edited by Waterlily; 02-23-2008 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: no ads even for jobs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement