Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 10:18 AM

284 posts, read 362,276 times

Advertisements

Well, there aren't Golf treads in the Forums, so thought I'd post here. I'll be retiring at the end of the year and one thing on my "list" is to start playing golf. I've played on an off since I was a teenager, but just never have had the time to devote to it. That's about to change and I really want to get out and play some this spring, but the old, cheap set of clubs I have are pretty unforgiving on these old bones, so I'm wanting to see if anyone has suggestions on any reasonably priced clubs that might be good for little "older" ladies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 11:35 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,386,399 times
I recommend you go to a reputable golf store in your area and visit with one of the pros. They can watch your swing, maybe even check your swing speed and then make some recommendations. They might have something used even. You will probably want to avoid steel shafts. In our current area Edwin Watts seems to be the place to go.
When I sent my wife to a store in Tulsa she wound up with Mizuno irons and I thought the price was very reasonable.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:40 PM

6,594 posts, read 7,087,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Away View Post
Well, there aren't Golf treads in the Forums, so thought I'd post here. I'll be retiring at the end of the year and one thing on my "list" is to start playing golf. I've played on an off since I was a teenager, but just never have had the time to devote to it. That's about to change and I really want to get out and play some this spring, but the old, cheap set of clubs I have are pretty unforgiving on these old bones, so I'm wanting to see if anyone has suggestions on any reasonably priced clubs that might be good for little "older" ladies.
Something that you should consider are graphite shafts. They will lighten the club for you. You are not a starter but you could go to Golfsmith and see what they have on for sale. It really is a matter of how you swing so if you go to the big golf stores like Golfsmith or even Dick's they have the fitting room where you can try out the set. It would make more sense since you already have some idea of how the clubs are. Lady Hagen are a nice set. My wife has that but it is a starter set that was on sale from $180 to $120 for Christmas a few years ago. Sears has them now listed about $220

Old 02-03-2016, 08:14 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
An inexpensive boxed set (clubs, bag, etc.) all with graphite shafts would be best. Take lessons and not from somebody you sleep with. The main issue will not be the quality of your equipment. The main issues will be do you take to the game in ability and the time required. You can always upgrade your equipment at a later time.

I owned a custom golf club business. I assure you, I know what I speak of.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:35 AM

11,119 posts, read 9,753,246 times
Personally, I would go to a golf course in your area that has a large pro shop and driving range so that you can test a variety of clubs on the range. Talk to the pro about your skill level and your budget. Try out several sets within your budget. You don't have to try every club in the set, just a short iron, a longer iron and a 3 wood. Ask the pro to do a fitting for you. This is where the golf pro watches your swing and your body geometry to determine what adjustments are necessary to make the clubs suit your particular swing, height, grip size, etc. I would probably go with graphite shafts and clubs that are classified as "forgiving", usually these will be cavity back irons and woods with somewhat oversized heads and faces with a large sweet spot. They should have a variety of brands with a good range of prices.

edited to add: If working with a pro will make you nervous, maybe a couple visits to the range first will help you relax and find your swing again before shopping.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:10 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Away View Post
I am a 68 year old woman and I play golf - increasingly poorly these days (although I "get by" - I play well enough to play with strangers).

How old are you and how athletic are you? I assume you never had time to play enough to keep a handicap. But - for example - how long do you typically drive the ball? I used to be able to drive the ball 150 or so yards when I was 55. But I am lucky to do 125 yards these days (there is nothing wrong with my driver - just me - I've seen golf pros hit my driver close to 300 yards). Also - how tall are you? Another physical factor might be the distance from the the ends of your hands to the ground - normal or shorter or longer than average. All of these things play a role in club selection/fitting. I am short - 5'0" - with a normal arm length. Except for my driver - and my putter (which I had to cut down substantially even though it was the shortest putter length available on the market) - all of my clubs are "petite". Petite clubs are hard to come by these days - except second hand on Ebay.

When you play - do you find it easier to hit woods - or irons? Have you tried any of the new hybrids yet? My wood play is much better than my iron play (the latter stinks). I carry 7-15 woods in my bag. I like the 9 and 11 woods the best.

I wouldn't consider anything except graphite shafts (except on a putter).And I don't know why anyone here even thinks it's an option.

In going about putting together a decent set of clubs that suits you - I would first buy a good driver and a good putter. Because these are the 2 clubs you will use on every hole (except the driver on some par 3s). My favorite companies for these are Callaway (which makes forgiving clubs and has always been a company that is friendly to woman golfers IMO) and Odyssey (now owned by Callaway). I would buy these new. Although I might buy last year's model in terms of a driver on sale. Also - Callaway usually has at least one 20% off sale every year (usually at the end of the season). It's also possible to find discount coupons for local golf stores (at least where I live).

In terms of "filling in the middle" - getting from the fairway to on/near the green - you have to decide whether you like irons - woods or hybrids best. Many woman tend to be "sweepers" as opposed to "diggers" and like woods/hybrids better than irons. But this is a personal decision you have to make for yourself. I might have some suggestions if you have a good sense of this now.

Hybrids are increasingly popular. Many golfers don't even carry long irons these days - they're using hybrids instead - because they're easier to hit (my husband carries a 4 and a 6 hybrid). You probably won't need a full set of any of these clubs - unless you get good enough where you're talking about a consistent 10 yards or so between clubs. Although many irons are of course sold as full sets.

You will need some wedges/short clubs. First a sand wedge. I also carry a "bump and run" club (made by Cobra and now discontinued) - and an Odyssey chipper (made by Callaway and also discontinued - although other companies are still producing chippers). You can buy these clubs on Ebay these days. I find these clubs very handy and easy to use from about 50 yards in. Forget about wedges like lob wedge - too difficult to hit well. Most old ladies like me are never going to win long drive contests . To be good - we really have to be sharp when it comes our short games. These clubs have worked well for me - but you may find something else that works for you.

In terms of trying out clubs - there are demo days in many areas in the spring (at least where I live). Where you can try out new clubs. Stores like Edwin Watts have hitting bays. Also - Edwin Watts has a 30 day guarantee. Which basically - IIRC - means you can return a club in 30 days if you don't like it - and get a store credit for a new one.

And do yourself a favor. Splurge on clubs you like and hit well. A golf bag you like too. I've seen too many women playing with worn out second hand/hand me down stuff because their husbands didn't think their games were worth more than that. No one will take us seriously as golfers unless we take ourselves seriously . Robyn

Last edited by Robyn55; 02-03-2016 at 03:27 PM..

Old 02-03-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
...When I sent my wife to a store in Tulsa she wound up with Mizuno irons and I thought the price was very reasonable.
But did she hit the clubs well?

I think that increasingly these days - there is less and less need for a full set of irons - especially for (senior) golfers with high handicaps. I've seen some sets of irons for women that have combination clubs - like a 5/6 iron.

In all honesty - how many golfers can hit their 125 yard club 125 yards give or take 5 yards (120-130 yards) even 75% (much less 90%) of the time? I think the goal for most average golfers is to get their approach shot to the green on the green. And not within 5 feet of the pin . Robyn

Old 02-03-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
An inexpensive boxed set (clubs, bag, etc.) all with graphite shafts would be best. Take lessons and not from somebody you sleep with. The main issue will not be the quality of your equipment. The main issues will be do you take to the game in ability and the time required. You can always upgrade your equipment at a later time.

I owned a custom golf club business. I assure you, I know what I speak of.
I agree about graphite shafts. Also agree about taking lessons. Up to a point. I've run across too many pros (although not all) who teach everyone the same - the 16 year old high school phenom and the 60 year old woman. I will never be good enough to do all that work around the green chipping and pitching with various irons at various degrees of the clock. Nor will most players like me. So I have found 2 utility clubs that work for me. Also - like some (older) people - I have difficulty when it comes to bending over/addressing the ball in certain ways - using various grips - etc. I take what I have been taught in the past - and apply it to what I can reasonably expect my body to do these days and still be able to get out of bed the next morning.

Like I said - I think the driver and the putter are the most important clubs in the bag. And I do think different drivers can make a difference for even mediocre golfers like me. I've gone to many a golf demo - and I consistently hit Callaway drivers - the Big Bertha series - better than other brands. My husband has had similar experiences with Taylormade drivers - they seem to suit him better than the others. Note that we rarely buy new drivers - but have just found that these brands "run true" for us.

My husband recently - at my urging - bought a new Callaway 6 hybrid. It is one sweet club for him - and has replaced some of his irons (a 4 hybrid he bought a few years ago replaced other irons).

When it comes to putters - I like my old Odyssey mallet putter. Just like the swing feel. More important - I took a series of great putting lessons one year. And the pro who taught me made me realize that most people are using putters that are too long for them. For most people - their eyes should be right over the putter when they're putting. The lessons were great - but cutting my putter down 2" was the best thing I ever did when it came to my putting. Because I line up putts a whole lot better.

I don't like boxed sets - because they have a "one size fits all" mentality. And most people don't need so many clubs. The clubs I use about 95% of the time these days are my driver - and my putter - and my 9 wood - and my chipper and my bump and run. When you only use a few clubs during a round - you tend to groove your swing with those clubs. I would rather hit a club I've used 5 times before in a round that I am pretty sure will go 10-15 yards long or short than one I haven't pulled out of my bag in a few weeks that might hit my exact target (but probably won't).

FWIW - I don't hit long enough to be wrong these days for the most part. I am usually short - straight and down the middle. Not a bad place to be. But - today - we had a couple of college player foursomes ahead of us. The game they play doesn't resemble ours at all . Still - I think the most important thing to learn is how to hit the ball reasonably straight. Robyn

Old 02-03-2016, 04:10 PM

11,119 posts, read 9,753,246 times
My set of Cobra irons came with a 5/6 iron and it is one of my favorite clubs. For me, having the clubs fitted was very important due to my small grip and some body geometry issues. I feel that trying various sets at the pro shop, out on the green, is really important to finding a set that works with your swing. I would try 2 brands head to head against each other, then try the winner of that trial against another brand, and the winner of that match up against another until you find the ones that work the best for you.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:48 PM

6,594 posts, read 7,087,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I agree about graphite shafts. Also agree about taking lessons. Up to a point. I've run across too many pros (although not all) who teach everyone the same - the 16 year old high school phenom and the 60 year old woman. I will never be good enough to do all that work around the green chipping and pitching with various irons at various degrees of the clock. Nor will most players like me. So I have found 2 utility clubs that work for me. Also - like some (older) people - I have difficulty when it comes to bending over/addressing the ball in certain ways - using various grips - etc. I take what I have been taught in the past - and apply it to what I can reasonably expect my body to do these days and still be able to get out of bed the next morning.

Like I said - I think the driver and the putter are the most important clubs in the bag. And I do think different drivers can make a difference for even mediocre golfers like me. I've gone to many a golf demo - and I consistently hit Callaway drivers - the Big Bertha series - better than other brands. My husband has had similar experiences with Taylormade drivers - they seem to suit him better than the others. Note that we rarely buy new drivers - but have just found that these brands "run true" for us.

My husband recently - at my urging - bought a new Callaway 6 hybrid. It is one sweet club for him - and has replaced some of his irons (a 4 hybrid he bought a few years ago replaced other irons).

When it comes to putters - I like my old Odyssey mallet putter. Just like the swing feel. More important - I took a series of great putting lessons one year. And the pro who taught me made me realize that most people are using putters that are too long for them. For most people - their eyes should be right over the putter when they're putting. The lessons were great - but cutting my putter down 2" was the best thing I ever did when it came to my putting. Because I line up putts a whole lot better.

I don't like boxed sets - because they have a "one size fits all" mentality. And most people don't need so many clubs. The clubs I use about 95% of the time these days are my driver - and my putter - and my 9 wood - and my chipper and my bump and run. When you only use a few clubs during a round - you tend to groove your swing with those clubs. I would rather hit a club I've used 5 times before in a round that I am pretty sure will go 10-15 yards long or short than one I haven't pulled out of my bag in a few weeks that might hit my exact target (but probably won't).

FWIW - I don't hit long enough to be wrong these days for the most part. I am usually short - straight and down the middle. Not a bad place to be. But - today - we had a couple of college player foursomes ahead of us. The game they play doesn't resemble ours at all . Still - I think the most important thing to learn is how to hit the ball reasonably straight. Robyn
Robyn

Your posts here are very good. I only quoted this one but I wanted to point a couple of things that I find helpful. You are correct that you honestly don't need all the clubs. In fact I find that I use maybe 4 clubs out of my 13. I start the season using the 3 wood on tee shots until I get back to the swing of things. The 1 wood (Driver) is tough to control until you get your rhythm back. I currently use the hybrids where some folks might use the 3 fairway wood. I typically use the 4h when I need a distance over 120 and under 180 and I more of a line drive. If I need control I use my irons 4 or 5. Under 100 I grab my 7 all the way to even the bump and run. I find that club as easy to control and it gives me confidence to send it over or between hazards and onto the green consistently. I rarely use a wedge or 9.

As for lessons I agree there too. I have talked to a few pros about grip but that is about it. What I did was read. I got books on the game. I got a few books that talked about grip and swing. I even got a book on how to break 100 written by a 75 year old pro whose game instruction said to not worry about the long game first practice two putting. Putting from anywhere on the green to get so close that you could drain the second shot. Then the short game of getting the ball on the green. Avoid the traps if you are uncomfortable even if it gives you a long first put. Then worry about the middle game. Being consistent of going straight down the fairway and allowing the ball and the club do the work. Last of all is the drive off the tee. It made sense and I have been requested often by my peers when playing best ball teams. I am not perfect yet at putting but I did get very good at 2 putting.

I think drift away would be well served by looking at starter sets when they go on sale or find out when the next demo day is at the local club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement