Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 04:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times

Advertisements

I dropped off my laptop and company credit card, walked out the door and headed to the Utah National Parks for a few weeks. National Parks and classical Chamber Music are my rewards.

Walking out the door of an excellent, but demanding career was celebration enough for me.

I was 'Free-at-last', and it felt good!

I stopped for a $0.99 Frostie and then drove 900 miles non-stop. It was great! And I still had 1/4 tank of fuel remaining to enjoy the parks.

I would never desire to attend my own work retirement party. I told them to spend my portion on themselves... They are stuck, and the ones that need it... Not me.... Give me freedom.

My worst fear was having to take a business trip with a co-worker, or even worse.... A manager. Ick... I would ditch them at airport security, and hopefully never see them again! Work was never social, thank goodness. We were all great friends, and I helped several move cross country when they retired, but never mixed work and social.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 04:40 PM

536 posts, read 845,705 times
Where I work, a party is usual, but I will opt out. It won't be for a while, I think, but when it happens, I will ask my immediate superior not to publicize my exit. And when it happens, I will celebrate with my family a few thousand miles away in New England. They won't try to buy me a weird gift; we would just party.

That's what I want; of course, I could change my mind, or my job-site of 30+ years might insist. But I hope not.

I am _not_ a fan of retirement celebrations I have attended in the past. Goodbye is awkward, too. I'll stay in touch with only a few of these folks and I prefer one-on-one conversation to parties.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:36 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I was just curious as to what some of you did to celebrate your retirement? I assume my employer will throw some kind of get away party that I will be obliged to attend. Personally, I could take it or leave it.

I'd almost like to find something I'd like to do all on my own. I don't have any friends around. I haven't had a friend that I could hang out with since 1993. Any suggestions?. I do have son I could go do something with, but I don't know what it would be. My wife is kind of a killjoy, so that's not a possibility.
Sounds wonderful!

When I retire I want my last day at work to be any day but Friday. The first morning I wake under retirement I want it to be a workday for everyone but me!

Old 04-14-2016, 07:26 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,492,924 times
In my case, I'd heard of some acquaintances who had died on the day of their retirement (!) or within a few days thereafter. That made me nervous.

I had been running my own trucking company, so sellimg it was my retirement. As part of the deal, I agreed to work with the new owners for a couple of weeks.

Seven days into that, I flew myself and my wife down to FL for a vacation. We stayed there for 2 weeks. I'd left the new company owners with my cell number, but they never called.

Technically, I spent my retirement date down in FL on vacation. When I got back, I was still alive! I'm still celebrating that, every morning when I wake up!

Old 04-14-2016, 08:37 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Our school district holds a small reception one afternoon after school (ie. on your own time) for everyone who retired that year. If you worked for five years or for forty years, if you were a janitor, a teacher, or a secretary you received the same "mini" plaque, the same "mini" speech from your immediate boss and the same "mini" ($10) retirement gift. The teachers also received a gift from the Teacher's Union. Most years there would be 20 to 25 retirees sharing the limelight (usually about half to three-quarters showed up).

Each retiree could give a brief (up to five minute speech). And, the retirees and guests and other school employees could enjoy cheese & crackers, a fruit tray, a vegetable tray, soda, coffee & cake.

Each retiree's school would plan a party or celebration (if desired by the retiree). Of course, the employer (the school district) did not pay anything towards the retirement party. It was always held after working hours and the costs where paid by the people who attended the celebration.

When I started in the district in 1979-80 each person who attended the retirement party donated $10 for a gift. Guess what? When I retired almost 30 years later it was still $10 a person. Nevertheless, I enjoyed my party and I received enough of a retirement gift from my friends to buy a cheap airplane ticket to visit my son who lived out of state. So, I was happy.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:08 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,679,819 times
Retired in 07, had the usual obligatory party, went home at lunch and spent that winter rejoicing every morning that I heard my neighbors warming up their cars. Someone asked at the party what my "plans"were, I replied that I would be ready for work in the afternoon as always, then wait for some kind of inspiration to overtake me, if not then I'd simply have another cup of coffee...I did just that for about three days at which time I began going out to photograph, play a little guitar, take a trip, inspiration--in a word.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:09 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times
You can decline the retirement get-together at work. There is nothing wrong with saying you do not want a get-together at work pertaining to your retirement.
Especially if, as you state, you can take it or leave it.

If one is never going to see in retirement the people one has worked with, a get-together makes even less sense.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:17 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,351,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I was just curious as to what some of you did to celebrate your retirement? I assume my employer will throw some kind of get away party that I will be obliged to attend. Personally, I could take it or leave it.

I'd almost like to find something I'd like to do all on my own. I don't have any friends around. I haven't had a friend that I could hang out with since 1993. Any suggestions?. I do have son I could go do something with, but I don't know what it would be. My wife is kind of a killjoy, so that's not a possibility.

Well, the thread has turned from giving you suggestions to what kind of party (or not) was had, so I'll add mine (picnic at a local park) and ask you to think about what you like to do.

For instance, would you like to go camping with your son....some great wild lake area? Or Alaska? Europe? Or a cruise to either? (easy-peesee planning). Solo travel is a burgeoning market now, and cruise lines are adding what they call "studios" for singles to their ships (re: itsy-bitsy cabins). What about that restaurant you'd been meaning to get to one evening? Or joining a gym? Or beginning that book you meant to read one day (War and Peace?...lol..you've got the time now!). Sit down in front of the fire with a glass of wine and the book.

Could a simple or extravagant thing. But first you'd have to tell us of your interests. (Surely, many will abhor camping and/or cruising).

Old 04-14-2016, 09:57 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,923,196 times
I actually did want to know if some had some super-fantastic parties. I'll have to do the obligatory retirement dinner. Being a pastor of a church, they'd all be highly offended and rightly so if they didn't give me a proper send off, and I wouldn't snub them that way. They've actually been very supportive all these years and for that I am very grateful.

I was wondering if any had a party at home, or took a European vacation or something. I might just go find a quiet bar and have a couple of beers by myself. Peace and quiet has a lot of appeal these days.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:02 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
I had a nice retirement celebration in my honor at work. That was May 31, 2014, my final day of work. The next day our house sold. I haven't had a day of rest since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement