Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2016, 07:40 AM

519 posts, read 582,831 times

Advertisements

I came to the conclusion long ago to never judge a person by what they say. Instead, I always focus on what they do as that is indicative of true intentions/desires.

So generally speaking if someone keeps working, all else being equal (i.e. they have the resources to not), it's because they want to: so nothing to feel sorry about...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 01:17 PM

314 posts, read 238,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
The people I feel sorry for are those who retire and have no plans, no goals, no interests and nothing they really want to do with the rest of their lives. Many linger on for decades in a semi-vegetative state. At best they sleep a lot, watch TV, engage in some sedate hobbies and re-tell old stories.
'sounds like someone I know.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:49 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Do you ever feel sorry for people who keep working after "retirement age" (55, physically)

I see people all around where I live that appear to be 70-80 working. I feel sorry for them. I have no insight to whether they do it out of necessity to supplement. Some are doing tough work (cashiers at Walmart for intance, thankless work, fastfood cashiers) so I assume they need the money.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:19 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I see people all around where I live that appear to be 70-80 working. I feel sorry for them. I have no insight to whether they do it out of necessity to supplement. Some are doing tough work (cashiers at Walmart for intance, thankless work, fastfood cashiers) so I assume they need the money.
Please don't assume.

I am a 64-year-old woman and am a part-time wine associate in a very large liquor store, which means that in addition to advising people about wine selection, I also lift an average of about three dozen 35-40 pound cases of wine during a five hour shift. Although to outsiders it might appear that I need the job, I don't need the money, and I 'love' my job. It keeps me active, plus it gives me a social outlet -- and I would suspect that is the case of many seniors in minimum-wage type jobs.

I do feel sorry, though, for those who work "thankless" jobs because they need to, and there are many people like that out there, but I am just saying that is not ALWAYS the case.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:36 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Sympathy isn't the word.
If they wanted to retire -- but can't -- I suppose that's unfortunate. And I'd feel for them just as I would when any situation is unfortunate. Given that the person wanted and had hoped for something else -- something other than what the situation turned out to be.

To this day, I'll never 'understand' how or why people WANT to keep working -- especially when money is not an issue.
But if they want to -- they want to. That's on them. I'm done trying to talk to people about how great retirement is -- and how having your time be your own -- is wonderful.

I have a former co-worker who at age 74.5 who (along with more than a dozen of fellow co-workers, including myself) was able to get a RIF severance who -- between two pensions and Soc Sec. has a retirement income of about 10k a month. And he concedes it's enough. But he wants to KEEP buying cars for grand kids, and paying for their full college costs, and paying for family vacations -- so the additional money will come in handy. And, after working with him for more than 20 years -- I know he enjoys strutting like a peacock and being the big spender -- so whatever.

If he wants to do that at age 75, God bless him. He just started another full time job. Whatever.
He said he wasn't ready to retire -- more power to him.
Feel sorry for a guy who has a 10k a month retirement income -- got a six figure buyout, AND collected unemployment for 6 months, and still wants to work full time because he wants MORE? I don't think so.

Last edited by selhars; 10-26-2017 at 07:52 AM..

Old 10-26-2017, 07:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I'm still happily working at 65, and will stay as long as I enjoy my job. With 6 weeks+ of vacation time now and making more than ever before in my life I can enjoy my grandkids, nice vacations and meals at nice restaurants. Yes, we could afford to retire though with SS and pensions we would take about a 50% reduction in income. There is really no incentive to retire now, but I don't expect to work beyond 70. The last few people that have retired here were 70, 71, and 73.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:14 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,244,243 times
No, I don't waste time or energy "feeling sorry" (or superior to or smug, etc.) about how other adults choose to spend their retirement years. We all make the choices that we consider to be the best for us. The fact that someone else's choice might not be the choice that I would make does not make them automatically worthy or scorn or pity or anything else. Other people's retirement choices are no threat to my freedom to make my own choices.

People who choose to spend their retirement differently from the way I choose to spend mine really don't care what I think about their choices any more than I care about what they think of mine. I don't need their approval, and I don't owe them an explanation, and vice versa. Judging or scolding or "pitying" people for making different choices is a waste of time and energy. I prefer to spend my retirement doing something else.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:07 AM

309 posts, read 195,971 times
Do what makes you happy. Whether it's remaining in the workforce, volunteering, or simply sitting around.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:29 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Guy View Post
Do what makes you happy. Whether it's remaining in the workforce, volunteering, or simply sitting around.
Assuming they're still working BECAUSE it makes them happy.

As for me, I will always want -- if not a formal part-time job, in retirement -- something I regard almost as my "job." A vocation, goal, program, regimen, classes, trips, group/scheduled hobbies, etc. I like having some structure to my day most days. Otherwise I'd be too apt to sit around watching old movies and eating bon-bons (not that I won't be doing a lot of that, too).

Old 10-26-2017, 09:43 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
No. Some people just have an abundance of energy and ambition. Slowing down just isnt in their genes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement