Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 11:43 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,843 times

Advertisements

I think I actually exercised more when I was working even though I had a desk job. I got up every 20-30 minutes and went up and down stairs all day long, etc and took two daily walks around campus. As far as I know, I am healthy either way but if I went to doctors, they would no doubt find something for me to worry about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 03:00 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
I go swimming more often. I sleep better.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:32 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Everything about my health is better. I have time to work out daily, meditate, and plan/prepare/eat healthy meals.

I use MyFitnessPlan to plan my meals. Each morning I input the meals and snacks I plan to eat that day and I check the nutrients to make sure I'm hitting all my nutrition and calorie goals. I have my recipes and my restaurant favorites in there so it only takes about 10-15 minutes.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:04 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
No change. I was healthy before retiring 3 years ago, and remain so.

As I posted in another thread, my family history has shown that staying really thin and remaining mobile are the 2 biggest factors in living a long life, so that is what I'm striving to do. At age 68, I take no meds, am at a low weight, and am just naturally active. I don't go out of my way to "exercise" and have never gone into a gym. Not much has changed since retirement, except weight loss.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:44 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,342,582 times
At my gym, there's a part of the gym where mostly seniors and people recovering from physical issues go to do their workouts. It's a lot more quiet than the main section of the gym where others work out. They have trainers and others there to assist them with their programs if they need them. There are regulars that I see that have been there a long time that work out about 3 times a week. There are also new people that are always showing up. Some stay and adapt to their programs while others, for whatever reason, slowly drop out. I've often wondered why those people were not able to stick with it. I'm sure there are many reasons.

There are also swimming pools where many take water exercise classes. These are very popular and have very good attendance. At these classes, the participants get a chance to socialize (before and after classes), in addition to their class-directed water workouts. They always seem to be in a pretty good mood.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:52 AM

10 posts, read 7,147 times
Most of the money after retirement is spending for health purpose. We should prepare for it. A good calculation keeps a secure life.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:08 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizwhizc View Post
Most of the money after retirement is spending for health purpose. We should prepare for it. A good calculation keeps a secure life.
I spend the same amount in retirement as I did when I was working. Pretty much nothing.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:14 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,648 times
6 Months after I retired, I had a physical and found that my vitals were all much better. It's been 15 years since I retired and I'm in much better physical condition now and I weight 30 pounds less then when I retired. I sleep 7-8 hours a night and when I was working a good night was 5 hours.

One thing that makes no sense to me is that my eye sight has gotten much better. My eyeglass prescription has gotten weaker over time since retirement, and now I find that I can function well without wearing glasses at all. I have worn glasses all my life and was almost blind without them. My eye doctor did tell me that this is not unusual to retired because stress can affect the way the eyes function. Take the stress a way and the muscles in the eye relax and vision changes.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:32 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
One thing that makes no sense to me is that my eye sight has gotten much better. My eyeglass prescription has gotten weaker over time since retirement, and now I find that I can function well without wearing glasses at all. I have worn glasses all my life and was almost blind without them. My eye doctor did tell me that this is not unusual to retired because stress can affect the way the eyes function. Take the stress a way and the muscles in the eye relax and vision changes.
When DH was 64 and had been retired 2 years, the doc said his vision had improved to 20/20 in one eye and 20/15 in the other so he could throw away his contacts.
I'm 67 and my far vision has improved every year for the past 3 years but I still need to wear one contact (monovision).

DH needs reading glasses, I don't so far for routine reading. I keep a pair for the occasional tiny print on instructions for meds and other products.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:42 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
When DH was 64 and had been retired 2 years, the doc said his vision had improved to 20/20 in one eye and 20/15 in the other so he could throw away his contacts.
I'm 67 and my far vision has improved every year for the past 3 years but I still need to wear one contact

Oddly I too am noticing that my vision is getting stronger. Last day of work was nearly six months ago. As I type, I notice my glasses seem too strong to clearly see my monitor.

Other health changes:

Not tired five days a week

Moderate weigh lose, without trying

Overall body strength improvement-no doubt from not sitting at a desk five days a week

Lower blood pressure/stress

And that odd change in perception of time mentioned in an earlier thread Strangest, most Interesting thing about Retirement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement