Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 06:14 PM

4,280 posts, read 5,939,679 times

Advertisements

We are ages 62 and 59, and both plan to retire in 18 months time. We currently live in a 1800 sq ft two-story home we have owned for 37 years. Many neighbors in our development have lived here for similar periods of time and nearly all have decided to "age in place" - at least for now.

Our previous plan, developed 5 years ago, was to age in place for 12 to 15 years then move to a local CCRC.

About a year ago I learned that Del Webb has a 55+ community 20 miles from us. The 20 miles is in the opposite direction from our Doctors, Dentists, Financial Planner, Lawyer, Insurance Agent, etc., not to mention increased distance from friends, volunteer activities, favorite stores and restaurants..... Not really a choice unless Del Webb constructs another development closer to us.

Three weeks ago I discovered that the 900 sq ft cottage previously owned by an Aunt & Uncle on a small All Sports lake 40 miles away was for sale. (my Aunt & Uncle sold the property nearly 20 years ago and have both since passed). I mentioned to my wife that buying this cottage for a summer home and buying a ranch style condo smaller than our present home and in the same area as our present home for the other three seasons could be another possibility. I was shocked to see she was amenable to such an idea!

What are the experiences of others here, good and bad, when making housing changes in retirement? Thanks.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 06-26-2018 at 06:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 06:22 PM

705 posts, read 562,455 times
I can only tell you what my husband and I did. We sold our large home and bought a home in a retirement community. We wanted to be with people our age for the company and activities. Our place is just a little over 900 sq ft and we love it. It's much easier on both of us and we find it's plenty of room for us. We're close to the beach, Dr's etc.. I can't think of anything bad about it.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:07 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,370,302 times
We were spending 4 months every winter in 1100 sq ft and it just wasn't big enough to allow a quiet space for either of us. Everyone is different but we get along better if we can spread out.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:28 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,348,414 times
A community of over 55 may offer a better life style and you can still visit old friends on special occasions. I would visit some over 55 communities.
I can see getting out of a two story home but that could be years away if you are in good health.
Major regret of over 55 movers is the size of the home and storage space. Larger seems to be better. I would figure out how many rooms you want, not square feet Kitchen, Master bedroom, living room, dining room(?), hobby room, BIG garage etc.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:40 PM

13,078 posts, read 7,519,082 times
We just moved out of our 36 yo 4/2, with huge garden/orchard home, 1600ft. I moved into shared housing (120ft) in my childhood, Oregon, mid-valley neighborhood. Moved wife to Redmond Washington to a 2/2 Single level(1000ft), elevator, condo building. I will move when my last parent passes. Wife will get new doctors and perhaps take the train down to see the dentist. I will retain my doctors here during the duration. It's only a 210 mile move in the same climate zone. It's just moving from rural to urban that is makes our lives different. (keeping me locally to watch parent is an expense.)

Old 06-26-2018, 09:04 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
Been in 2000 sf+ Condos 16-years; Retired 10-years -- No interest in yard work and ongoing home upkeep and maintenance (or post-retirement downsizing?), plus like waterfront locations --

2000 sf gives us room to spread-out and for grandkids and visitors -- cleaning service makes inside upkeep easy.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:08 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Three weeks ago I discovered that the 900 sq ft cottage previously owned by an Aunt & Uncle on a small All Sports lake 40 miles away was for sale. (my Aunt & Uncle sold the property nearly 20 years ago and have both since passed). I mentioned to my wife that buying this cottage for a summer home and buying a ranch style condo smaller than our present home and in the same area as our present home for the other three seasons could be another possibility. I was shocked to see she was amenable to such an idea!

That's one smart lady you married.

Lake cottage, what's not to like?

We've been in the same home for 23 years and I can't wait to move.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
I expect there will be several 'As retired' housing options.
  1. Active: age 50 to 70 (3-4 different places in areas we desire to explore, including overseas (mandatory for HC, pre-age 65))
  2. Home bodies: age 70 - 80 (gardening / hobbies / enjoying the view)
  3. Medical age; 80 - 90 (access to medical facilities, likely NOT available in USA)
  4. 90+ senior living
  5. Care needs: 3 - 4 different places (age depends on needs... my own father needed FT care at age 49 - age 82) similar for DS mom.

Del Webb... younger than age 80, you may feel out of place (So say several friends I stay with felt when younger and in Del Webb)

Ambulatory / active / capable... you may feel out of place in a senior independent living place.

Then the 'other' Housing options;
  • (this weekend we were with a couple who use the 'cruise ship' option)
  • Others who rent furnished flats in international destinations / hubs
  • Others who volunteer on camps / schools for free housing
  • Others whose kids / adult children host them (for help or care)
  • Others who have had to BUILD a larger house for their now dependent grandkids or wayward / rehab adult kids
  • Others who stay in a farm bunkhouse
  • Others who RV FT
  • Some seniors who do the 24 month capital gains reaping (My mom has 'rolled' 8 custom homes (in 4 different states) since she retired)

As long as I have an uninterrupted view (while my eyes are capable to enjoy it) and I never hear a PEEP from a neighbor dog / TV / radio... I will be content in the above options.

In reality... NONE of the above options may be an 'option'. (Life throws curve balls)

Old 06-27-2018, 12:19 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,577,764 times
At 62 and 59, you are too young for Sun City living. The sign may say 55+ community but don't believe it. 75 is entry level.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:21 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,660,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
At 62 and 59, you are too young for Sun City living. The sign may say 55+ community but don't believe it. 75 is entry level.
Really? I live in Sun City. There are thousands of people younger than 62.

I have never heard a person say they were sorry they moved here because they were too young.

I have heard people that move here at 70 say they wish they had moved here when they were younger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement