Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 11:00 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times

Advertisements

After a short time of being really bored I went back to work. Easy less stressful job that I could not have afforded to have when raising family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 03:03 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,833 times
I got a visit at work yesterday from a colleague who retired a little over a year ago. This guy used to be always tense, borderline angry, and I rarely saw him smile. I was literally shocked at how great he looked now, huge smile on his face, and honestly he looked several years younger.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:03 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
After a short time of being really bored I went back to work. Easy less stressful job that I could not have afforded to have when raising family.
I am doing the same. Was not bored, but I could use the money, and the offer came to me. Four days a week. And it's so different not to HAVE to take the job. If it doesn't work out, I can go.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:18 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
I do. But dealing with negative doctors at this age is a pain. They see my age and sometimes get hellbent on trying to pinpoint a disease on me when there isn't one. They're incredulous that I don't take any prescription drugs on a regular basis.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:35 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
I do. But dealing with negative doctors at this age is a pain. They see my age and sometimes get hellbent on trying to pinpoint a disease on me when there isn't one. They're incredulous that I don't take any prescription drugs on a regular basis.
My story exactly. So I don't go more than once a year. I would if I were sick, but I don't seem to go that route lately. One doc insisted on writng me a script. I just smiled and thanked him, and never had it filled.

Now I have a new doc at a concierge practice. I told him not to expect to see me often. I still didn't get a discount!

Old 05-27-2016, 11:01 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Afternoon naps. Heaven!

Old 05-27-2016, 11:48 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
It is absolutely fantastic not having to get up early, dress, makeup, hair, clean shoes, shopping for work clothes, getting kids off to day care, and rushing all day to meet deadlines. Actually I burnt out and couldn't work anymore so I had to take an early retirement.
There is something disappointing about retirement too. Aging. Poor health can be a problem too and physical activity can be limited. Generally there is loss of energy.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:27 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
I know a few that went back to work and money had nothing to do with it...

One retired with a 15k per month income and lifetime medical at age 52... got bored after two years and went to work for another agency making 130k

Another friend retired from upper management when the plant closed... he did not have any financial problems... they moved to Florida and he soon got very bored... only so many games of golf and cocktails before he decided to make a change.

The owner of a local grocery store was lamenting about a high turnover and a lot of kids only work to meet a goal and then quit... like buying a car or taking a trip.

So my retired executive said he would take the job stocking shelves at night... the owner thought he was joking and he said one way to find out.

My friend was the first on the job and never left until his area was perfect... many came to him because of his gray hair thinking he was the store manager enough so the manager asked if he was out for the managers job... my friend said no way.

Here is where it gets interesting... his wife said he was like a new man... energetic with real friends... he mentored a lot of the younger employees about having a goal, job skills and career paths... he was loved so much he was best man when one of the kids got married and a store favorite with customers...

One day he did not show up for work... he had a heart attack and passed away... it was big deal with lots of 18 to 25 year olds speaking attesting to his being a father figure and grandfather... it was never about the money... it was about being needed and appreciated... and his wife was in tears saying how much he loved going to work each day and all the wonderful people that came into their lives...

Old 05-27-2016, 02:15 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Well, I had hand surgery nearly three weeks ago, and we decided that that's pretty much it for me. I'm burned out. I'm going to still be handling the paperwork of the business and going in once a week to clean the clubhouse, and doing to unlocking of doors...but for that I'm retired. And when I can sew and do my other crafts I will be much happier.... I am wiggling my thumb and trying to push it a little daily...

Helps that I am highly motivated to heal up...my niece is having her first baby, and I not only have to make her a quilt, I need to crochet her a blanket, too!!

Old 05-27-2016, 03:11 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,686,150 times
YES!!! That's the reason why I retired ... to get my health back after losing it in fast-paced, high-stress life as an executive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement