Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 06:26 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times

Advertisements

I once considered Ecuador but they have had civil unrest and earthquakes in the last 5 years. I doubt I would ever leave the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 06:34 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,119,343 times
I would never retire outside of the US, but would like to point out that Japan has lovely people and is stable politically. The politics of the area should be your first concern.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:44 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,424,762 times
I m only reading this thread out of interest, because retiring out of the US is not an option for me.
Having just returned from Costa Rica for a vacation, I would say that should be considered. I dont know specifics but I do know there are lots of Americans and Canadians retiring there and it certainly seems a pretty safe, beautiful place. Maybe not first world but certainly up there.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:34 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,612,664 times
I'm planning to visit Portugal this fall, & possibly So. Spain, with an eye to check out retirement possibilities. Not committed to expatriating but am intrigued by it. I don't like hot & humid climates so lot of the previously mentioned places aren't being considered anymore.

If you don't mind hot & humid Panama should be on the list, it has a lot going for it that most don't realize.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:38 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,201,169 times
In February and March there was a thread, "Best countries to retire to," in this forum which really went over this topic backward and forward. That might be a good thing to scan through for anyone interested in the topic.

For the record: I am a U.S. citizen, now aged 78. I emigrated from the U.S. to Europe permanently in January 2001. I have lived in two countries. One I lived in for three years and did not like for reasons that were not financial, and returned to Portugal where I had lived previously for about a year and a half, and I have lived here ever since.

I have not thought of any scenarios which would induce me to return to the U.S. I prefer life here; in fact, I love life here.

As has been brought out in many other threads on this subject...it is always money, money, money. And while money has certainly to be considered and well thought over, there are many countries where your U.S. income will go farther and which will provide you with good healthcare.

But question #1 should be: Could I make the adjustment of living in another country...a different culture, different society, different products, different types of shopping environments, etc..

# 2. Could I actually live in a neighborhood surrounded by local people, or would I have to huddle in an enclave with other Americans or at least other English-speakers?

# 3. Money and anything else.

Most Americans in these threads come up with, "No." Personally, I think "No" is probably the best answer for most Americans.

I can count the number of Americans whom I have met in the past sixteen years who have been living permanently in either country I have lived in. That number is 5. Most of the foreigners I have met who have come to live in another country, and there have been many, were English or German. The Germans seem to be able to really settle in, many of the Brits are very iffy about it and live in huddles.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:48 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,144,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I would never retire outside of the US, but would like to point out that Japan has lovely people and is stable politically. The politics of the area should be your first concern.
You will face language issues in Japan, even in Tokyo.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:28 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Wife is a Filipina. I may have a second home there when I retire. Probably not, just an annual extended stay there.

Now if our health declines we will move to the Philippines where we can get a care taker dirt cheap. No assisted living home for me. Baguio City is ideal. High attitude, lower temperatures.

English is one of two official languages in the Philippines. I suggest Belize as another nation where English is the primary language.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:46 AM

1,155 posts, read 963,415 times
I'm a Canadian citizen (dual citizenship), so I'm considering British Columbia.

I'm also an EU citizen (likewise dual citizenship), so I'm also mulling over London, where I've lived before. It has everything I need, including easy transit and tons of things to do every day.

I don't like hot weather.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:02 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
My sister lives in Vancouver. In theory, I could live there and still be able to drive over the border where my Medicare works. That would be my worst case "I lost a huge liability lawsuit and ended up destitute" contingency.

Once I've lost interest in skiing all winter, I'm toying with the idea of snowbirding to the Portuguese Algarve. Because of Medicare, I really can't envision a permanent move out of the country.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:10 AM

7,457 posts, read 4,693,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
In what country is your paid-off condo?
Philippines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement