Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 01:42 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,201,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Not a problem. Up to date, and in my experience (15 years ago) very accessible. Hospital lobbies don't look like modern airport terminals, and wards are not a 5 star hotel setting, but if that's what you require, I'd suggest one stay in the US. For complicated things like advanced (metastatic, end stage) cancer, Germany, to my knowledge is tops, and right next door. I know Americans who have made that trip. Pharmaceuticals are way cheaper than they are in the US.
The snazziest hospital and patient accommodation I have ever been treated in was QuirĂ³n in Bacelona, and top of the line doctors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 03:39 PM

7,457 posts, read 4,693,802 times
Mega projects happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOCpo10zQlM

Old 05-31-2016, 03:47 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,462,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Wife is a Filipina. I may have a second home there when I retire. Probably not, just an annual extended stay there.

Now if our health declines we will move to the Philippines where we can get a care taker dirt cheap. No assisted living home for me
Better hurry before all the Filipina's move to the U.S. to work as caretakers as they are currently doing.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:09 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,411,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
WOW! That's Krakow. Mariacki, with the guy up in the tower, tooting the horn every hour. Sitting in that Rynek Glowy, in front of the Sukiennice (cloth market), indulging in a scrumptious Polish-made pastry, just taking in the scene...one of life's greatest pleasures. That city has a 10+ walk score (make sure you have comfy shoes).

And to think, just sitting there, minding your own business, you may meet someone you never saw before, get to talking, and BOOM! they'll invite you home for dinner! Still happens. It's a Polish thing, happens anywhere you go. Poles are very sociable.
It's also not too far to attend the Castle Party, just a hop skip and a jump over by the German border.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:13 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,201,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
I can live without cable but I can't live without HS internet. Aren't there any HS service in your area? I pay $70 a month and get a quota of 300GB of internet usage.
HS Internet is not available where I am in the US. But I understand that in Europe they offer much higher speeds than we have here, for a lower cost too.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
I only shared from what I know of, just like others are sharing from their experience.
Actually quite pertinent to both my point and your situation ...

So ...

What if ...

The Philippines leave the US umbrella and opt for becoming either an actual or de facto member of the SCO?

Now taking it a step further. Think back to what happened in WW2 with Anschluss.

How would you feel about that happening to you?

Just some food for thought.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:15 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times
Quote:
International Living magazine's 2015 Top 10 Countries to retire to.
Be careful with Intl Living as a source of anything, they aren't known for giving unbiased information.

Their business model is to overhype retirement destinations to attract a customer base (both paying and unpaying) so they can send offers of "opportunities" to people in these wonderful paradise locations. To accomplish this they constantly churn out material about how perfect all these paradise locations are, downplaying/ignoring/glossing over any negatives while underestimating the cost of living.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
No offense mate but you clearly don't understand the world.

Couple of things

1 it is big and lots of places are much safer , with excellent law enforcement and excellent recourse to justice.

2 anecdotal stories you heard second hand, are just noise and have nothing at all to do with retiring abroad.
Right. Those places you've alluded to are not cheap.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:36 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times
I'd be curious what countries are really cheap while having law enforcement not known for corruption, since the two usually go hand in hand. Not saying there aren't any, just somewhat skeptical.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,742 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Developed and EU countries have pretty stable governments and police are accountable.
Portugal, Spain, southern France are easy to get to and quite cheap. Eastern EU countries are even less expensive.

Ecuador, and recently Columbia now have accountable police.

Having lived and worked in SE Asia for 27 yrs, I do see weaknesses in security / accountability of police. It is a known problem, but also expected, and can be mitigated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement