Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2016, 06:42 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,140,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Often due to poor diet, habits, hobbies, health, and healthcare.
The U.S. may have its issues. Lord knows it does. But you can't say it doesn't have great health care.
1) It's not for nothing that foreign royalty and world famous people come to the U.S. for treatment.
2) Bad eating and exercise habits and the Standard American Diet -- are not heath care. Two different things. Neither are the health habits of individuals relevant.
Europeans who bike and hike, and heavy Americans on cruise ships, have nothing to do with the topic at hand. Which is: Other than US, which country are you looking in to retire to?

YOU get around much?
There are plenty of Americans who hike and bike also, AND are very active and generally very healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 07:19 PM

863 posts, read 796,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
The U.S. may have its issues. Lord knows it does. But you can't say it doesn't have great health care.
1) It's not for nothing that foreign royalty and world famous people come to the U.S. for treatment.
2) Bad eating and exercise habits and the Standard American Diet -- are not heath care. Two different things. Neither are the health habits of individuals relevant.
Europeans who bike and hike, and heavy Americans on cruise ships, have nothing to do with the topic at hand. Which is: Other than US, which country are you looking in to retire to?

YOU get around much?
There are plenty of Americans who hike and bike also, AND are very active and generally very healthy.
The US does have great healthcare, if you can afford it. As one of my young interns. who is from Argentina told me, "the US has the greatest medical technology in the world, the rest of the world has the best care".

Was an interesting perspective.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:38 PM

7,457 posts, read 4,695,683 times
Friendly caution to people purchasing property/condo in foreign countries : make sure you are actual owner of the condo and not just entering into a contract with a developer who is in turn leasing the land from the real owner.

It's basically perpetual vs leasehold property. You want the former and the way to know it is to get a Master of Deeds copy from the agent/developer before you reserve or put any cent to the property.

This applies to any purchase. Most countries do not allow foreigners purchase of land so you are left to purchase a condo unit, say a unit on the 10th floor of a 40-story building. If land is on leasehold, usually 25 years renewable for another 25 years, this means the buyers of the condos must cough up lease renewal fee after 25 years. I'm just guessing but this could be about 35% of the value of your unit that time. Worse, at the end of 50 years, the land may be sold to another and occupant heirs have to vacate.

This practice is prevalent in cities than in provinces/rural. This is because if I am a land owner in the city, I know the land value appreciates over in time and would rather lease it to a developer than sell it so future generations can benefit from future renewal money after each lease expires.

This is a non-issue if you plan to rent abroad. But if you plan to purchase, check the Master of Deeds if it says anything about the land being on lease.

Last edited by Yippeekayay; 05-30-2016 at 07:47 PM..

Old 05-30-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I take it yippee has HS internet, Free...

I have never watched a youtube or internet video... Impossible and EXPENSIVE on 'pay-per-byte' USA rural dial-up...
I can live without cable but I can't live without HS internet. Aren't there any HS service in your area? I pay $70 a month and get a quota of 300GB of internet usage.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:56 PM

493 posts, read 443,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I would never retire outside of the US, but would like to point out that Japan has lovely people and is stable politically. The politics of the area should be your first concern.
Earthquakes and Tsunami are killers there though....

Old 05-30-2016, 09:05 PM

493 posts, read 443,295 times
I sill can't imagine living outside U.S. when I retired. There are so many low cost places to choose from within U.S. I just don't see a point risking health treatment or political unrest unless I'm really tight in retirement funds.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:43 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,583,898 times
Quote:
I take it yippee has HS internet, Free...

I have never watched a youtube or internet video... Impossible and EXPENSIVE on 'pay-per-byte' USA rural dial-up...
Only five percent of Americans can't get broadband internet access, which really is actually lower than I'd have guessed considering the vast size of the country. I sure do appreciate the internet in America though when in other countries that have censorship. I even have trouble getting to Reddit in Indonesia, wtf is that all about?

Quote:
While I have a lot of USA friends, My international friends seem to be a whole lot more interesting, informed, educated, traveled, and helpful.
I find international friends to be handsome, witty, generous, physically fit, and they all have really straight white teeth. They can also all speak nine languages, play the piano and violin, recite obscure poetry, sing in ranges that American ears can't detect, and juggle chain saws. I've found most international people are master carpenters, can cook up a healthy gourmet meal just by picking some weeds, have multiple PhDs, and can pull of the sportcoat with rolled up sleeves and t-shirt under it look. I'm pretty sure international people are all good in bed too, but not sure yet unless you count that one time in Thailand, I swear I thought Phet was a woman.

All my American friends are overweight, deep in debt, have 6th grade educations, have never left the state they were born in, chew with their mouth open, and wear polyester coaches shorts. They are entirely uninteresting and every night I cry myself to sleep that I'm one of them. I look at my ugly blue passport and dream of having some exotic green or red one that by itself would validate me as an international person who is of greater quality, in fact sometimes I take pictures of it and mess with color filters on my computer to see what it would look like if I was an international person. Oh how eyes would pop out of heads when I whipped that symbol of greatness out, I am international hear me roar. I'd probably hang out at grocery stores and accidentally drop it a lot, I'm sure people would ask woah there what sort of passport is that? You must be an interesting superior internationally person.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:29 AM

Wish to share.

Kiplinger's best 3 places to retire outside USA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnCyDpcgoUQ

Old 05-31-2016, 08:33 AM

25 cheapest places to live in the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csJ8vnUNTpM

Old 05-31-2016, 08:48 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,140,426 times
Quote:
really straight white teeth.
How many of those friends are British?
What's with the British (or English, if you prefer) and their teeth
It's joke of a stereotype (which are based in truth to a certain extent) that the British are known for having bad, crooked, buck, jacked-up teeth.

As for buying abroad, I know the U.S. is "different" -- but I have over the years found myself asking why OTHER countries don't just let anyone buy property, or move there. And we don't' seem to be so "selective."

Quote:
All my American friends are overweight, deep in debt, have 6th grade educations, have never left the state they were born in, chew with their mouth open, and wear polyester coaches shorts. They are entirely uninteresting and every night I cry myself to sleep that I'm one of them. I look at my ugly blue passport and dream of having some exotic green or red one that by itself would validate me as an international person who is of greater quality, in fact sometimes I take pictures of it and mess with color filters on my computer to see what it would look like if I was an international person. Oh how eyes would pop out of heads when I whipped that symbol of greatness out, I am international hear me roar. I'd probably hang out at grocery stores and accidentally drop it a lot, I'm sure people would ask woah there what sort of passport is that? You must be an interesting superior internationally person.
I'm just shaking my head in amazement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement