Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 08:52 AM

7,457 posts, read 4,695,683 times

Advertisements

Top 10 safest countries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE6lIYB0wl8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 08:56 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,801,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
I can live without cable but I can't live without HS internet. Aren't there any HS service in your area? I pay $70 a month and get a quota of 300GB of internet usage.
I wonder if there will be such a thing as cable TV in 10 years or if it will all be internet. It largely is now. it's been over a year since you could connect a TV directly to my cable and get service (even newer digital TVs). You have to use their box because there is nothing but data coming down the wire.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:08 AM

As with any posts, always use your own discretion and best judgment.

10 countries that may not survive the next 20 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vP3Ju7J4gk

Old 05-31-2016, 10:36 AM

International Living magazine's 2015 Top 10 Countries to retire to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4GG-iCohi4

Old 05-31-2016, 11:01 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
When you move to another country you live by that country's rules. Your medical may not be covered. You may have to come back to the USA periodically to keep your US citizenship. You may need to learn their language.

Any US citizen may remain outside of the USA for the rest of their life and not will have come back even once nor visit an embassy, you could fail to file taxes for 100 years, let your passport go out of date, burn a dozen US flags at the embassy gates and still you would be a full US citizen.

Medical is tied to your full time residence. But big deal one would be fully aware of that prior to any move.

Frankly your post reads as if you just wanted to make a list of reasons to stay in the USA.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:08 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypicalWageEarner View Post
Go ahead, move to a country you can get screwed over with impunity by local cops and have NO recourse (Here in the USA you can at least sue) or have to have guards at the compound 24/7 to protect your butt from those outside...

Case in point, spoke with a woman at my sister's church who is a missionary for a medical team. She said "After we close the gates to the mission, it's about midnight you may hear gunfire as the guards are firing warning shots to those trying to climb the fence to get at the corn growing in the protected fields"
No offense mate but you clearly don't understand the world.

Couple of things

1 it is big and lots of places are much safer , with excellent law enforcement and excellent recourse to justice.

2 anecdotal stories you heard second hand, are just noise and have nothing at all to do with retiring abroad.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:21 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,801,463 times
I was talking to some people I did business with about some training they had just gone through; how to act if approached by armed men, how to discern if police really were police, what areas to avoid, etc. I was having dinner with some people from the UK at a conference in DC. That's right - they got this training about the US. Our nation's capital is a crazy dangerous place if you turn the wrong corner. This was a few years ago but I don't think it has changed all that much.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:45 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,207,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
How is the health care?

Not a problem. Up to date, and in my experience (15 years ago) very accessible. Hospital lobbies don't look like modern airport terminals, and wards are not a 5 star hotel setting, but if that's what you require, I'd suggest one stay in the US. For complicated things like advanced (metastatic, end stage) cancer, Germany, to my knowledge is tops, and right next door. I know Americans who have made that trip. Pharmaceuticals are way cheaper than they are in the US.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:49 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,207,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
If I may, I saw this video of Krakow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shPXE8CL9oU
WOW! That's Krakow. Mariacki, with the guy up in the tower, tooting the horn every hour. Sitting in that Rynek Glowy, in front of the Sukiennice (cloth market), indulging in a scrumptious Polish-made pastry, just taking in the scene...one of life's greatest pleasures. That city has a 10+ walk score (make sure you have comfy shoes).

And to think, just sitting there, minding your own business, you may meet someone you never saw before, get to talking, and BOOM! they'll invite you home for dinner! Still happens. It's a Polish thing, happens anywhere you go. Poles are very sociable.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 05-31-2016 at 01:00 PM..

Old 05-31-2016, 12:57 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Can't believe no one has mentioned the #1 ranked country for Americans to retire....Panama. It's relatively simple to achieve a visa (proof of $1000 a month or more in funds from social security or other sources), the cost of living is affordable and driven by the US Dollar, it's a stable democracy, has excellent and very affordable health care, English is widely spoken, and it's largely free of hazards like natural disasters.

Retire in panama, retirement community, retire overseas, panama city real estate and panama land: Retirement Wave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement