Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 04:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Since we are in Logan, Ut until later in the summer, we have decided to make a trip on our way back to DFW. We will be stopping to look at St. George, UT. Then on to Mesquite, NV and Las Vegas, NV and then on to Scottsville. We may return to AZ in the Fall to look at Green Valley. We visited Sun City, AZ a few years ago and my husband wants a place where he can see mountains so we have ruled out Sun Valley.

I will report back!
While touring AZ, don't miss Oro Valley. I love to visit my retired friend who lives there. They have a home on the tip of a pennisula so a 270 deg view of mtns.

A mtn view is essential for me in retirement ( when you finally have time to enjoy it).

You might like to visit Show Low and Prescott. Great retirement spots as well.

I have retired friends in Sierra Vista and Cochise Mtns also. (very temperate, / cool in summer)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 01:01 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
We are spending this summer in Utah and it is a beautiful state. But at 80% LDS, we just don't feel its the right place for us longterm.
They don't bite. They don't intrude in your life and they make good neighbors.

I am not a member of the LDS church. I have family in Salt Lake City, who also are not Mormons.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,115 times
I find this thread interesting, as we are looking at several retirement areas, also. My husband is retired from the military and a civilian job, and we lived in many places over the years. We also traveled quite a bit. We lived in TX, AR, CO, Germany, and AZ, and traveled to Utah, Oregon, NV, CA, and many places on the east coast. Personally, I would not want to live in Utah, as the LDS influence rules, and that does not sit well with me. There are many LDS churches in AZ, also. It's not that they are bad people (far from it!), I just don't like the fact that they rule government, etc., and you won't have any say in matters. Oregon, too rainy. NV, CA, and AZ, are HOT, dry as a bone, and dried up desert landscape is not my idea of pretty. CO is gorgeous, but too cold for me. TX has some pretty areas, but the storms can be scary! SO! Right now we live outside Chambersburg, PA, and want to stay on the east coast, but go to a warmer climate. We have visited VA, NC, DE, and MD, and right now, NC seems to be the state we like the most. I want to be near a good sized city, have a bit of land for my horses, and be near a good hospital. All of NC is pretty, but we've narrowed it down to the Triad to Charlotte corridor.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharenflip View Post
I find this thread interesting, as we are looking at several retirement areas, ...want to stay on the east coast, but go to a warmer climate. We have visited VA, NC, DE, and MD, and right now, NC seems to be the state we like the most. I want to be near a good sized city, have a bit of land for my horses, and be near a good hospital. All of NC is pretty, but we've narrowed it down to the Triad to Charlotte corridor.
Several posters from our now deceased, all-time C-D favorite thread, retired to Greenville, SC after researching NC extensively. There are many good spots in each, as well as the tri-cities NE TN. Moderate climate with small mtns and out of the path of super storms / tornadoes.

Old 06-18-2016, 02:45 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
They don't bite. They don't intrude in your life and they make good neighbors.

I am not a member of the LDS church. I have family in Salt Lake City, who also are not Mormons.

We live in the Salt Lake Valley - and I am more than ready to leave once I retire in 2.5 years.

Perhaps they don't "bite" - but when the Legislature is 99.9% LDS they do have a say in how you're going to live your life.

I'm just done with them.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:05 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
Agreed, very nice decent people but they control everything according to their beliefs, by law or societal pressure. In the 6 years I lived there I could never figure out the liquor laws, probably because I am only an occasional social drinker, but it was like being in a foreign culture.

If I wanted to have some wine with dinner I had to travel to the only liquor store anywhere near me, run by the state government, in a city that was was 1.5 million (late 80's - early 90's).

If I went to meet a friend for a drink, at various times I had to "join a private club" right there at the bar for a small nominal fee or be handed a menu & pretend to look at it for ordering food & order my drink & then announce I decided not to eat or only have a choice of beer/wine... no liquor (I'm trying to recall if it was 3.2 beer then as well & also involved the previous petty charades).

All this in a deeply red state where people are fast to volunteer that they want "less government regulation." If one had children or was starting a business the pressure to conform had implications that were more serious. Luckily most of us are not in that demographic now. I just have to assume that they have since made an effort to simplify the hurdles to enjoy a gin & tonic after work.

Again very nice friendly people but a distinct culture just as urban/rural or north/south are different & as a newcomer you must adapt.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:04 PM
mlb

They cannot think about people who are not like them..... they've refused to expand Medicaid. We have health insurance - but cannot believe how heartless they all are.

They have no concept what it's like to not be them.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:53 AM

2,035 posts, read 3,352,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
What town(s) in Maine are you considering?
(I still haven't lost that dream)
I'm looking along the Coast. Anything i can afford with owned waterfront

Some of the homes i have in my "Saved" list are in Steuben, Lubec, Pembroke, Robbinston, Milbridge, Cutler, Jonesport, Machias, and Waldoboro.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:51 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
We live in the Salt Lake Valley - and I am more than ready to leave once I retire in 2.5 years.

Perhaps they don't "bite" - but when the Legislature is 99.9% LDS they do have a say in how you're going to live your life.

I'm just done with them.
For example?

Old 06-20-2016, 11:28 AM
mlb

For example - they hate Obama so much they refuse to expand Medicaid - leaving many without health insurance....tho they have not provided an alternative.

They gerrymandered the congressional districts to make it impossible to have a Democrat win a general election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement