Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 07:32 AM

524 posts, read 362,818 times

Advertisements

Every time I read an article about retirement, the amount you are "going to need" seems to change. The last one I read said 80% of current income, plus five times that in "cash" (CD's, cash etc.) Lets do a little math...if current household income is $150,000...that means you need an annual income of $120,000 and $750,000 "cash" in the bank. This just seems high, as we wouldn't be spending $10,000 a year on a vacation.....$900 a month on car payments.....use less gas because you don't drive to work anymore. Most of insurance is covered through retirement pension (we would pay a small premium). Currently we put away 40% of our income to savings. I totally understand that things come up financially that you don't plan on. To those that are retired or are retiring soon, "what am I missing"
Pete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 07:42 AM

106,915 posts, read 109,176,429 times
You are missing the fact that just like when we worked and made different amounts and lived different lifestyles the same thing applys in retirement .

There is no such thing as how much is enough. If life is more then paying bills then as much as you can muster can be your budget.

If our income and assets doubled we would still find ways of enjoying and spending whatever we have.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:44 AM

154 posts, read 536,864 times
You might be missing..lots of people do not have any pension. Lots of people don't have medical insurance coverage prior to age 65, Medicare, covered through their ex employer, Gas may or may not be less, depending on what you actually end up doing in all that free time you now have since retiring. Vacations can be done much cheaper than $10,000/year but I have noticed that hotel prices have risen substantially recently. If you plan on doing short, local jaunts, then yes $10,000 is very high. We plan on doing extensive traveling while we are young retirees so, for us, that $10,000 is actually not unreasaonable to budget for.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:52 AM

7,207 posts, read 9,355,612 times
The amount you need is enough to support whatever you spend.

There is no universal number.

So do a cash flow projection, i.e. imagine your checkbook that includes all expenses and all deposits going forward with enough income to maintain a reasonable balance.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:16 AM

8,364 posts, read 6,463,705 times
It depends on how you live, I have lived very frugally all my life and now I should spend more and I can't.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:19 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,336,806 times
Half the country is going to retire with nothing but their Social Security check, a bit of retirement savings, and some equity in their home. If they don't have children to do some kind of extended family housing, they have a big problem.

All the retirement financial planning articles are targeted at the top-third of the country to try to shock & awe them into increasing their savings/investing rate.

The reality is that everybody adapts to their retirement income stream whatever it is. There's no reason why you can't go from $150K to $50K. That's a heck of a lot easier than going from $60K to $20K that an awful lot of people face.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:29 AM

Right now we spend about 40% of our income on bills....mortgage/electric/cars/phone etc. We spend about 20% on frivolous ( hobbies/ dinner out /travel etc) The final 40% goes into savings / investments. I'm guessing that is how they calculate the 80%...lol...l would estimate spending about 10% less on each of these areas.....bringing our "needed" income to around 50% of our current income.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:33 AM

Thank you all for your insight on this.....the experts were scaring us into thinking we was going to have to work until we were 70.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
It depends on how you live, I have lived very frugally all my life and now I should spend more and I can't.

This is how we feel. We are not afraid to go for a nice bike ride instead of going to the mall and spending the extra money that we happen to have that week.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:36 AM

7,276 posts, read 5,299,171 times
How much you "need" mentally is based on what you did in your life leading up to retirement, and what you may have been planning for the past 30 years of what retirement would be.

If you saved travelling for retirement, like cruises or maybe a big motorhome, then you need a lot more money than a simple person who enjoys just staying home and gardening. What you "need" is determined by your lifestyle.

No of course there is a floor, that floor being how much you need to have a house (is it paid for or stilla mortgage) or rent, food, medical, daily living. Budget what the necessities are and that's the floor. Maybe you might need to downsize. Maybe the house you currently have is too expensive to upkeep. The list goes on.

Unless you do a personal budget you will never know just reading about general statistics. It's your life, so take accountability with it, understand it, and it will guide you better into what you "need" for your retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement