Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 11:01 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
So you are a Liberal disgusted that AARP is providing funding to ALEC that is a major Conservative think tank that proposes and supports conservative legislation? Just seeking clarification.
I don't speak for the OP, but I'm disgusted that AARP would fund an organization that espouses so many policies that make life harder and cost money to seniors, especially those on fixed incomes.

ALEC writes what they call "model" bills and puts them in the hands of legislators they fund through campaign donations. Most of the time these bills go right to the floor of state legislatures for votes with no appreciable changes. The vast majority of ALEC's funders are large corporations who want laws that favor the needs of corporations and the 1%. Not senior citizens.

In 2012, ALEC disbanded its arm that promoted things like Florida's Stand Your Ground law, Arizona's SB1070 anti-immigration law, various voter suppression bills, and laws requiring inmates to serve full sentences without ANY options for parole or supervised release. Public outrage led to pressure on the corporations funding ALEC and ALEC responded by eliminating their work in this area.

They are still, however, promoting bills that are bad for voters, bad for hourly workers, bad for public education, bad for consumers, bad for women, bad for immigrants, bad for LGBTQ people, bad for the planet, bad for low-income bank customers, bad for the National Park Service, etc., etc. While many of ALEC's meeting are open to the public, all of its bill-drafting is done behind closed doors and is very secretive.

Who LIKES ALEC? The Koch brothers; ExxonMobil and other oil companies; the pharmaceutical industry; the big banks and predatory lenders; the insurance industry; telecommunications companies that want you to pay through the roof for phones, TV, and internet access; Walmart; other groups that want to cut back on a minimum wage for hourly workers; politicians who want to block certain segments of our citizenry from voting; the U.S. Chamber of Commerce; the NRA; the private prison industry; the crowd that wants the government to accompany women to their doctor's appointments; the crowd that wants to investigate who's in public restrooms.

Who has benefitted from ALEC? Most dramatically Republican governors. People like Sam Brownback of Kansas, Mary Fallin of Oklahoma, Scott Walker of Wisconsin, Rick Scott of Florida, Mike Pence of Indiana, Jan Brewer and later Doug Ducey of Arizona, Rick Snyder of Michigan, Nikki Haley of South Carolina, and Bobby Jindal of Louisiana. ALEC is behind most of the things they claim as major accomplishments.

The Bush Administration might have been the heyday of ALEC with Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, John ********, and Tom DeLay all strongly tied to ALEC. ALEC gave long-time supporter and former Gov. Rich Perry of Texas its Thomas Jefferson Freedom Award in 2010. Gov. Fallin got it last year.

In some states, one of them being my state of Arizona, as many as 150 ALEC-provided "model" bills are proposed before state legislature each year. This organization is quietly making laws throughout our land. In 2012, the pressure for corporations to disengage from ALEC became so intense, literally hundreds of corporations with strong ties to the group — Shell Oil, State Farm and Blue Cross, Walmart, McDonalds, Google, Microsoft, etc., etc. — claim to have "dropped their memberships." But given ALEC has an annual budget estimated at $7 million annually, and the "model bills" keep rolling out, they're getting support from somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 11:19 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I don't speak for the OP, but I'm disgusted that AARP would fund an organization that espouses so many policies that make life harder and cost money to seniors, especially those on fixed incomes.

ALEC writes what they call "model" bills and puts them in the hands of legislators they fund through campaign donations. Most of the time these bills go right to the floor of state legislatures for votes with no appreciable changes. The vast majority of ALEC's funders are large corporations who want laws that favor the needs of corporations and the 1%. Not senior citizens.

In 2012, ALEC disbanded its arm that promoted things like Florida's Stand Your Ground law, Arizona's SB1070 anti-immigration law, various voter suppression bills, and laws requiring inmates to serve full sentences without ANY options for parole or supervised release. Public outrage led to pressure on the corporations funding ALEC and ALEC responded by eliminating their work in this area.

They are still, however, promoting bills that are bad for voters, bad for hourly workers, bad for public education, bad for consumers, bad for women, bad for immigrants, bad for LGBTQ people, bad for the planet, bad for low-income bank customers, bad for the National Park Service, etc., etc. While many of ALEC's meeting are open to the public, all of its bill-drafting is done behind closed doors and is very secretive.

Who LIKES ALEC? The Koch brothers; ExxonMobil and other oil companies; the pharmaceutical industry; the big banks and predatory lenders; the insurance industry; telecommunications companies that want you to pay through the roof for phones, TV, and internet access; Walmart; other groups that want to cut back on a minimum wage for hourly workers; politicians who want to block certain segments of our citizenry from voting; the U.S. Chamber of Commerce; the NRA; the private prison industry; the crowd that wants the government to accompany women to their doctor's appointments; the crowd that wants to investigate who's in public restrooms.

Who has benefitted from ALEC? Most dramatically Republican governors. People like Sam Brownback of Kansas, Mary Fallin of Oklahoma, Scott Walker of Wisconsin, Rick Scott of Florida, Mike Pence of Indiana, Jan Brewer and later Doug Ducey of Arizona, Rick Snyder of Michigan, Nikki Haley of South Carolina, and Bobby Jindal of Louisiana. ALEC is behind most of the things they claim as major accomplishments.

The Bush Administration might have been the heyday of ALEC with Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, John ********, and Tom DeLay all strongly tied to ALEC. ALEC gave long-time supporter and former Gov. Rich Perry of Texas its Thomas Jefferson Freedom Award in 2010. Gov. Fallin got it last year.

In some states, one of them being my state of Arizona, as many as 150 ALEC-provided "model" bills are proposed before state legislature each year. This organization is quietly making laws throughout our land. In 2012, the pressure for corporations to disengage from ALEC became so intense, literally hundreds of corporations with strong ties to the group — Shell Oil, State Farm and Blue Cross, Walmart, McDonalds, Google, Microsoft, etc., etc. — claim to have "dropped their memberships." But given ALEC has an annual budget estimated at $7 million annually, and the "model bills" keep rolling out, they're getting support from somewhere.
Thank you for the information. I'm going to check it. If it's as you say I'll be donating some money to them. I agree with everything mentioned and I'm sure that many of the other old folks here agree just as much with them. Seven million dollars is not much money. They need more.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:50 AM
mlb mlb started this thread

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I think right to work laws improve consumer and patient rights. Get rid of the ones not doing their job.
Right to work laws mean right to fire without cause.... and right to discriminate.

Figures that the right wing would support that.

Last edited by mlb; 07-31-2016 at 10:13 AM..

Old 07-31-2016, 11:08 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Right to work laws mean right to fire without cause.... and right to discriminate.

Figures that the right wing would support that.
There is always a cause. Why would you keep a person that wasn't necessary or able to do the job?

I have been a union worker, management, and self employed and have seen both sides.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:55 PM
mlb mlb started this thread

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
There is always a cause. Why would you keep a person that wasn't necessary or able to do the job?

I have been a union worker, management, and self employed and have seen both sides.

Thinkalot - you clearly don't.

My spouse - very able and capable worker - was let go from a job in sales here in Utah when it was found out he was Jewish and had previously lived in Los Angeles where that "nasty Rodney King lived"...because we all know that when you live in LA you sympathize with black people.

THAT was the "cause".....even tho it was not stated as such.

As long as there are morons running small businesses..... there will be people losing jobs cloaked in discrimination. With no appeal.

He was glad, btw, to be let go.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:32 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Don't belong never will.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:52 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
And here I thought ALEC was a terminally ill senior citizen that AARP was helping to fund their basket list.
Who would have thunk?

Old 07-31-2016, 07:15 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
It will take a lot more than that to get me to stop supporting AARP. I generally view AARP as an island of sanity in an ocean of utter nonsense that is often written about senior and retirement issues.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:02 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,676 times

Old 08-01-2016, 08:35 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
It will take a lot more than that to get me to stop supporting AARP. I generally view AARP as an island of sanity in an ocean of utter nonsense that is often written about senior and retirement issues.
And they publish some great articles at a minimal subscription rate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement