Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 12:10 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times

Advertisements

Your physician? Your health care provider?

In California any person (spouse, relatives) who stands to benefit financially from your death cannot be the person making life/death decisions. I have no relatives so who should I appoint and give the papers to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 12:18 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Most people have an attorney for that purpose. In the case of my mother-in-law, it was me, because "she didn't trust either of her daughters." When the time actually came, they both agreed with my decision so it didn't matter anyway.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Most people have an attorney for that purpose. In the case of my mother-in-law, it was me, because "she didn't trust either of her daughters." When the time actually came, they both agreed with my decision so it didn't matter anyway.
'

I'm not sure I want an attorney who charges $500/hour to get anywhere near my AD. If nothing else I'm sure he'd find a way to send me a monthly statement "AD maintenance for Thrillobyte.........$500. Payment due immediately"

Who else might be a candidate?

PC MY wife doesn't trust me. She wants her two sisters to handle it. I'm fine with that. I wouldn't want the responsibility. But I had to let her know that even her sisters who inherit much of her estate also would not qualify.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:30 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

In California any person (spouse, relatives) who stands to benefit financially from your death cannot be the person making life/death decisions.
I have no relatives so who should I appoint and give the papers to?
This is incorrect. One of the WITNESSES to the document cannot be someone who is related by blood or is expected to inherit upon your death.
http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/ag...m-fillable.pdf

Last edited by lenora; 08-10-2016 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: add link

Old 08-10-2016, 04:51 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
My Dr, sister & brother have copies of mine.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
This is incorrect. One of the WITNESSES to the document cannot be someone who is related by blood or is expected to inherit upon your death.
http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/ag...m-fillable.pdf
Ooops, you misunderstood me. I said (or meant to say) that a person who benefits from your death cannot be the person named as your agent in the document to make life/death decisions for you in case you cannot. Makes sense, right because if your wife stands to inherit 2 million dollars in the event of your death and you two don't get along too well and the doctors are asking her if heroic treatment should be withdrawn how likely is she to say, "ummm....sounds pretty good to me."

Old 08-10-2016, 07:48 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Ooops, you misunderstood me. I said (or meant to say) that a person who benefits from your death cannot be the person named as your agent in the document to make life/death decisions for you in case you cannot. Makes sense, right because if your wife stands to inherit 2 million dollars in the event of your death and you two don't get along too well and the doctors are asking her if heroic treatment should be withdrawn how likely is she to say, "ummm....sounds pretty good to me."
I can't believe that could possibly be the law in any of the 50 states. That would mean you can't name your spouse and that is complete and absolute nonsense. Citation please.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:56 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I can't believe that could possibly be the law in any of the 50 states. That would mean you can't name your spouse and that is complete and absolute nonsense. Citation please.
I agree, I was named on my Dad's advanced directive and was a beneficiary under his will.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:25 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Quote:
Think about this - you have a stroke and the ambulance hauls you off to some hospital. It is an emergency so it will be ER docs working on you. Likely as not they have no knowledge of any healthcare directive unless someone brings one in and gives it to them. Who would that be? That is who should have one.

Even if someone brings one in, they may not respect it since it was not on file with the hospital. Healthcare directives are routinely ignored in emergency situations.

We had a close friend who was a doctor and professor at the U of W Medical Center. She had a healthcare directive filed with the hospital. After a long fight with a fatal illness she was admitted in a coma. Her husband follows her to the hospital and sees them giving his wife aggressive CPR, despite the fact that she had a directive on file with that hospital to not give any CPR! The emergency docs simply did not check before attempting CPR. Her husband had to forcefully intervene. It was a sad situation; not only was she dying (or already dead) but there was a heated argument around her about what medical care to give, or not give.

The lesson here is that you should file directives with everybody - any hospital you could possibly end up in, all doctors, all family members. And then be prepared to actually defend it when the time comes because likely as not EMT and ER docs will not check, they will simply go on auto-pilot. Docs and medical workers are not comfortable with simply letting someone die and their first instinct is all sorts of drastic stuff.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:48 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,596 times
Halfway down the page -- the people who CANNOT hold your power of attorney (which is basically what a healthcare directive is)

http://www.plea.org/legal_resources/...t=&cat=28&pcat=
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement