Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 10:03 AM

1,260 posts, read 2,043,723 times

Advertisements

I hope I'm placing this in the right forum - I don't think there is "Senior Living" forum, but if there is, could the moderator please move it there?

My parents are 75 and 76, and I'm considering purchasing a condo/town home for them in the next year. Unfortunately, real estate market is very tight where I live - it's not even the high prices, but the lack of inventory that will be my major issue. I started looking at first floor one level condos first, or the ones in the buildings with elevators (not too many around me). The ones with outside stair cases are absolute "no go", because it snows here a lot, and those outside steps will be treacherous - I wouldn't consider it safe for myself (I'm 37).
There are quite a few complexes around here with townhome style condos - living area on the first floor, bedrooms on the second. My parents say these would be OK, but I'm not sure. There are also several complexes with 3-story buildings and indoor staircases, where apartments on 2nd or 3rd floor go on the market once in a while.

Basically, my question is - should I consider indoor steps as acceptable for seniors? My parents are in good health, my father still climbs ladders once in a while, but I'm afraid he is in denial about his own physical abilities. About 7 years ago he did fall from the ladder and broke his shoulder blade. I hate to tell him to slow down, but I'm afraid he will have to, eventually.

My other problem is his driving. I'd like to take his keys away one day when they live close to me and I can help with shopping and going out, but I have no idea how to even approach this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 10:32 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
Simple answer. Stay away from stairs for them.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:43 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,679,129 times
Below is a post I did about stairs and bad knees.
Stairs can be modified to make them more user friendly.
And up to a certain point, daily use of stairs can be healthy.

I do not feel that the real estate market has kept up with the changing demands of a changing demographic.
Seems to be limited supply of one story multi-unit units other than high end, high rises.

Quote:
40 years of skiing has done some damage to my knees.
Some days stairs are no problem and other days they can be painful.
I solved the problem by having slightly narrower stairway with VERY sturdy handrails on both sides.
I can get up and down with just one leg if necessary. The two rails are only 30" apart and also lower than standard with allows me to put all my weight on my arms.
The only time the narrow stairway with 2 rails is a problem is on moving day and for that I made the railings easily removable. I also put blocking in the wall framing so it is ready for a stair lift.

Speaking of skiing, today was a powder day and I missed it due to meetings

Old 02-04-2014, 11:09 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,965,744 times
Eventual walkers and/or wheelchairs, or even older bones, do not function with stairs. That said, my mother who died at 91 always did stairs (two sets) and that gave her great exercise, but she was unusual. Plan for the future, not for what's real today.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:11 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,900,579 times
Since your parents are already 75 and 76, it would make sense to be conservative in your planning and go with a single level dwelling for them. Although this may never become necessary, it also could very well become necessary, and then what do you do in that case? You wouldn't want to have to turn around and find another place for them - too much hassle to do that and have them move again. None of us can know the future, either for ourselves or for others.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:12 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Actually where there is land available senior housing is mostly one story. In fact where I live even government senior housing is not multi story for fire safety reasons alone. Alot of seniors just are not going to make it out of even second story in a fire. At least here two story on small lots in less costly homes always have at least master on first floor in design now days.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:21 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,860 times
I will also suggest a one story or accessible unit is best. When I was younger, I fell and damaged my leg. I could not get to our bedroom or bathroom upstairs so had to make do on the first floor. There was a shower without handrails. At that time we had no rails on our front or rear entry stairs.

What I learned was plan for the worst and hope for the best. At least we had a bathroom on the first floor. If I had broken my leg, we could have moved a bed into the living room. But it would not have been optimal and would only have been ok for a short time.

We are planning on moving to a one story in 10 years or so (when your parents age).

Old 02-04-2014, 11:28 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Stairs may or may not be a problem for you parents for many years although I can't think of too many older people that would mind being without them.
However, do not dismiss someplace that is 'perfect' otherwise if a stairway is wide enough for a stairlift.
I can't believe how many reluctantly and sadly give up a home they love for every other reason but don't even consider installing one.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:14 PM

334 posts, read 585,116 times
I am not sure the property owners/rules would allow a stairlift on the communal stairways?

I would avoid stairs completely. Good luck.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:28 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,073,130 times
Stay away from stairs.

But I can tell you that I just bought my 'retirement' home, and it was impossible to find a recently built home on one level.

For the past decade most new homes have been built by developers in 'community settings'. I assume this is because it is prohibitive for an individual to purchase a lot and put in the water, gas, sewer, driveway, roads, sidewalks, and other necessary services just for one home. As a result, the builders have built mutli- story homes to get more square feet on the same foundation/footprint. I could find very few single level homes, other than dogs form the 60's which required more rehabilitation than they were worth.

So, think in terms of building a small arts and crafts bungalow In a 55+ community. One level. Wide doors, level showers, no steps in or out, flat entry into garage, lower cabinets and counters, etc. There is a whole standard which I believe is defined under the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) which will give you criteria for elderly compatibility.

It is hard to envision now, but getting up and down stairs is a real nightmare for the elderly--let alone thinking about trying to get around if, god forbid, your parents become wheel chair bound. They would want to stay in their own home as long as is reasonable. Planning for that now while they still have their faculties is very important.

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement