Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 01:04 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,567,170 times

Advertisements

If you are retired, do you keep an emergency fund?
Do you have cash outside your retirement nest egg to use an emergency fund, or is your nest egg the emergency fund in itself?
Long story short is I wound up retiring early having invested in rental houses and making enough to retire early. I plan on fully spending every month the net rents that I get. Before I even collect the rent I put aside 10% of the gross rents for repairs. Basically I guess my situation is a little bit different than others in that mine is all in real estate and many others have their money in stocks etc. so in the traditional sense I am never really pulling out any of my principal since I am not selling any of the houses and they are all paid off.
I don't know if there's anyone else in this situation here on this forum but since there are other retirees here I'd like to see what they think. I recently posted this in the personal finance forum and someone's suggested that it might be better to post this question here.
Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 01:10 AM

6 posts, read 5,967 times
every single person i think they are different about how to cash out the rertirement nest egg,,,must look how the situation and condition.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:05 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Do you have cash outside your retirement nest egg to use an emergency fund, or is your nest egg the emergency fund in itself?
Long story short is I wound up retiring early having invested in rental houses and making enough to retire early. I plan on fully spending every month the net rents that I get. Before I even collect the rent I put aside 10% of the gross rents for repairs. Basically I guess my situation is a little bit different than others in that mine is all in real estate and many others have their money in stocks etc. so in the traditional sense I am never really pulling out any of my principal since I am not selling any of the houses and they are all paid off.
I don't know if there's anyone else in this situation here on this forum but since there are other retirees here I'd like to see what they think. I recently posted this in the personal finance forum and someone's suggested that it might be better to post this question here.
Thank you in advance
If you spend all your monthly net income what happens if a large unexpected expense happens like needing a root canal which costs 3 months of your net income. With no emergency liquid funds on hand to cover that expense what are you going to do put it on a high interest credit card and pay it off monthly ?? This is just one example why most people have an emergency cash fund because it is cheaper to pay the emergency cash fund back than to pay the credit card company.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:17 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
we got whacked first year in retirement with over 20k in dental for my wife and i .

Old 08-28-2016, 06:31 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
You've covered emergencies and maintenance issues for your rentals, but not for your own personal health and home issues.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:39 AM

30,525 posts, read 16,217,604 times
with the rentals paid off, he could probably take out a loan on one of them.

Not the best scenario but any port in a storm as they say.

yes, I have an emergency fund. Will it be enough when/if there's an emergency? don't know. can't seem to find my crystal ball.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:41 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
the problem with loans is you need the income to pay for them . generally you are short the income in the first place and that is why you need a loan.

counting on borrowed money at a time you are short cash to make ends meet is never a good idea .

Old 08-28-2016, 07:47 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,685,983 times
I am not retired but I do have emergency funds. I've opened savings accounts for major events like health, roof/home systems/appliances, and new car. Every month I treat each of these savings accounts like a bill and I deposit money into them. When I have an emergency I go to the specific savings account and I use the money. Otherwise, I just let it sit earning very little, but at least it is there when I need it. I've decided not to include these accounts in my net worth as I figure they are future expenses.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:58 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Thank you in advance
Yes, we have a savings account for emergency purposes, and we also use that account for making big ticket item purchases ( like cars) for cash when we are ready to do so. It's separate from our investment funds.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:00 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
I am not retired but I do have emergency funds. I've opened savings accounts for major events like health, roof/home systems/appliances, and new car. Every month I treat each of these savings accounts like a bill and I deposit money into them. When I have an emergency I go to the specific savings account and I use the money. Otherwise, I just let it sit earning very little, but at least it is there when I need it. I've decided not to include these accounts in my net worth as I figure they are future expenses.
We have always done that too. The interest rates on those savings account are ludicrous at this point, but having that money handy can sure keep you from having to go into major hock in the event you really need that money for an emergency or unexpected expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement