Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 10:12 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,810,460 times

Advertisements

I've watched friends struggle with bad tenants in their multi family property. It's awkward living in the same building when you're throwing your evicted tenants belongings out of the window onto the street. Personally I think I would rather invest in a vacation property with weekly rentals and use it in the off season then live with tenants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 10:29 AM

37,489 posts, read 61,466,561 times
We are looking at going back into apartment buildings. This time we will only do college students. I would expect they will generally trash the units, however the leases will be written in a manner that they all leave at the end of each school year. The buildings will be empty 2 months every year. We should not have to deal with many evictions this way. Any bad tenants will only rent from us once.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:19 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,678,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
And a distressing source of outgo.
The agents will call their relatives to fix the leaky faucet and then charge you double than if you had just called the plumber yourself. Agents can't be trusted to work for your interest.

Judge Judy would be out of business if it weren't for rental disputes....LOL

Old 08-31-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
... Judge Judy would be out of business if it weren't for rental disputes....LOL
I did not know she was still going.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:49 PM

249 posts, read 267,312 times
I know many people have had bad experiences, to each his own, I just want to add, I've found it profitable. Right now I don't have rentals as I've decided to seel some and develop some of my properties.

My apartments were in lower income areas, but they paid a deposit and paid their rent or were promptly evicted. I didn't manage these, just received emails of the finances and money directly deposited to my bank account.

My smaller units that I managed were in beach towns renting to young professionals, they kept the places nice and paid their rent. Unfortunately for them, with a little math I found I could develop and sell the properties for much more money.

I'm undecided as to whether I will buy more after selling my new builds.

This is just one type of income some retirees who are seeking more income should consider, I know many people do not live in an area that is good for rentals, I also understand it is an uncomfortable proposition for others. To each his own.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:01 PM

17,351 posts, read 11,312,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Multi-unit homes give SOME retirees income and freedom; they give other retirees expense and economic bondage.
They can also be a tax nightmare.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Really?

What did you encounter that made it into a 'nightmare' ?

Old 09-01-2016, 12:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,758 posts, read 58,150,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post

My income props are a tax DREAM for me;

I can schedule capital and expensed items at end of yr during high earnings and reduce overall rates. Last yr when I took several months off for remodeling, I was able to roll a bunch of fix-up expenses in and get tax rate to zero, so I could then do some ROTH rolls till I got income tax rate back up to 5%. (LT property valuations increased significantly due to remodels, and I will reap those gains later)

I have been able to favorably tweak my tax rates using my income props. Sometimes using 1031's, and other times realizing gains during 'tax holidays'

significant travel expenses (including 50% of food) are attributed to actively managing income props in different locations that I enjoy visiting several times / yr.

Tools, tractors, dozers are expensed or depreciated against investment activities / property development

work related internet / phones / computers...

Building supplies galore (plenty of extras to build my next place, or donate to Habitat. )

Even my very few 'nightmare' tenants have been of value to me (learning more about law, and learning how to be kind and accepting of people who push your buttons + learning how to bolster my rental agreements. )

It is not for everyone, and not forever for me.

Doing taxes is part of the fun and a very important part of fiscal planning. (I hate Monopoly, but IRS 'games' are more fun and have good payback.) Play within the rules, but know the rules. (well)

Old 09-02-2016, 02:11 PM

6,589 posts, read 7,099,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We are looking at going back into apartment buildings. This time we will only do college students. I would expect they will generally trash the units, however the leases will be written in a manner that they all leave at the end of each school year. The buildings will be empty 2 months every year. We should not have to deal with many evictions this way. Any bad tenants will only rent from us once.
Great choice. You have two months to fix any broken doors and holes in walls. A good handy man on call can be a big help in that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Really?

What did you encounter that made it into a 'nightmare' ?
My guess is that they couldn't figure out the tax forms to file and do it right. Income rental properties are very easy to deal with as far as taxes go. In fact if you own income property a lot of stuff is able to be written off including some stuff that you can use at both your house and the rental (like a really good vacuum cleaner).

Old 09-02-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Great choice. You have two months to fix any broken doors and holes in walls. A good handy man on call can be a big help in that.

My guess is that they couldn't figure out the tax forms to file and do it right. Income rental properties are very easy to deal with as far as taxes go. In fact if you own income property a lot of stuff is able to be written off including some stuff that you can use at both your house and the rental (like a really good vacuum cleaner).
We have had extensive experience with Multi-Family-Residences before I retired. The tax forms were a breeze, the tax sheltering was great, and the growth in Net Worth was fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement