Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 11:04 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,921 times

Advertisements

Turning the retirement quandary on its head, instead of wondering, "What place do I want?" ask, "What place wants me?" There are surely many towns that want people to move there but I can't figure out how to do an effective search to find these places. I'm open to your suggestions and ideas for both 1) how to do an effective search, and 2) places that want newcomers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 11:16 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
I'm open to your suggestions and ideas for both 1) how to do an effective search, and 2) places that want newcomers.
Just newcomers, or specifically retired newcomers?
Plenty of places would love people to relocate there, but they want them for jobs and/or to increase the tax base.
Any senior based community welcomes senior newcomers.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:38 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Fiscally secure retirees are a plus to any locality because:

They don't add kids to the schools, but still pay real estate taxes.
They often volunteer.
They usually obey the laws.
They don't drive as much (no commuting) so don't wear out the roads.
Most have disposable income that young families don't have.
They vote.
They usually have pride in their home, keep it up.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:05 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
Probably any over 55 community that is still building.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:46 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
A place does not have thoughts, intentions, or desires. If you are planning to relocate, you might want to clarify your thinking before beginning the process.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:21 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Small towns all across the USA.
Rural populations have been declining for decades.
The problems are lack of: medical, grocery, internet, etc.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:31 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Just newcomers, or specifically retired newcomers?
Plenty of places would love people to relocate there, but they want them for jobs and/or to increase the tax base. Any senior based community welcomes senior newcomers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Probably any over 55 community that is still building.
Thank you both for your reply.
• Contributory newcomers, retired or not. We're in the enviable position of not having to "get a job" but willing to do so if it would make life better.
• We've considered senior-based communities and would prefer to avoid them for now. The problem is, they're senior based! Presently, age-segregated communities do not appeal to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Fiscally secure retirees are a plus to any locality because:
They don't add kids to the schools, but still pay real estate taxes.
They often volunteer.
They usually obey the laws.
They don't drive as much (no commuting) so don't wear out the roads.
Most have disposable income that young families don't have.
They vote.
They usually have pride in their home, keep it up.
Thanks for your reply. Your observations are very true. (But there are places where the old-timers don't understand this. These are the places I want to avoid.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Small towns all across the USA.
Rural populations have been declining for decades.
The problems are lack of: medical, grocery, internet, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
A place does not have thoughts, intentions, or desires. If you are planning to relocate, you might want to clarify your thinking before beginning the process.
Thank you both for your reply.
• It would be interesting to see if there's a minimum number of people required to keep a small town alive. Is it 100? 1000? 10,000? Maybe it depends on proximity to the next small town? But your observation is true — rural populations have been consistently declining. Rural is probably not for me, but neither is the big city. So I guess my range is large town to small city.
• Places have the thoughts, intentions, and desires of their principle occupants. Accordingly, there are places that are welcoming to newcomers as well as those that aren't — and that's often unclear until you're there!

There are places that are actively seeking newcomers. Resources or databases that list them are sure to be available online but I can't think up the right terms, words, and phrases to search on. Any ideas for terms to search on?

Old 10-06-2016, 09:08 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
• It would be interesting to see if there's a minimum number of people required to keep a small town alive. Is it 100? 1000? 10,000? Maybe it depends on proximity to the next small town? But your observation is true — rural populations have been consistently declining. Rural is probably not for me, but neither is the big city. So I guess my range is large town to small city.
• Places have the thoughts, intentions, and desires of their principle occupants. Accordingly, there are places that are welcoming to newcomers as well as those that aren't — and that's often unclear until you're there!

There are places that are actively seeking newcomers. Resources or databases that list them are sure to be available online but I can't think up the right terms, words, and phrases to search on. Any ideas for terms to search on?
My grandmother spent 30+ years living in a town of ~800 people. They had one grocery store, one town doctor, a post office, a couple policemen, 3 churches, one gas station, two banks and half a dozen restaurants. Oh, and one stop light. It was enough for her needs.

About 30 minutes away was a larger town of about 9,000 people that had a hospital, much more shopping and restaurants, thanks to a small private university located there.

It was also only 45 minutes away from an even larger city, of approximately 50,000 people - although she almost never went there.

I personally felt her town of 800 was a depressing place to be (a third of the population lived in poverty conditions), but it was her home and she loved it there.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:50 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
4 Places That Will Actually Pay You to Live There

Places That Will Actually Pay You to Live There

Seneca Wants Retirees to Feel at Home

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-647c542a1aea/

Old 10-07-2016, 07:53 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
When my parents moved to the Sequim, WA area 14 years ago, it was starting to get other retirees in large numbers, most from California. With the natural beauty, slow pace, and oddly sunny weather it had a lot of appeal. Home prices were, and still are well below the Seattle area (Sequim median even now just over $200k). While Seattle gets 46" of rain, Sequim gets only 16". The median age there now is 59, and the flood of retirees has continued so the services have grown too better serve them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement