Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 05:28 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
I do not qualify for disability nor do I seek it.
You don't know that you do not qualify, unless you've applied and been disapproved.

The smart person would apply for disability. You've got nothing to lose, except the time it takes to fill out the forms.

Quote:
I will take SS in 8 months and counting because I am going to need it.
That's probably a very short-sighted and poor choice.

Why not get a second part-time job?

Why not get a full-time job in another field?

Quote:
I am looking for straight forward, realistic information as to how to get medical care once Obamacare has been gutted.
No one can give you an answer, since nothing has happened, and we don't really know what will happen.

Speculation is often unhealthy.

Why don't you qualify for Medicaid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 05:37 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
I am 62 next month, no insurance since 2012 with a job at that time . Only contract work since then. I am in a state with no expanded Medicaid and did not qualify for ACA due to low income. I just got let go from my health care contract job today because they have no clients for me. I filed for early SS and get it in March/April pay out. I have a 3 year wait for Medicare, if it still exists by then.
I do not have a chronic health condition nor do I take meds, but I use a nurse practitioner at Kroger, CVS, or Walgreens if I need antibiotics, etc. and I have used the ER and paid via a pament plan afterward. If I had a catastrophic condition I could get temporary Medicaid to help cover expenses. There is also the option for a public health clinic or a concierge private physician as well.
I probably haven't helped you much here but I am certainly empathetic to your situation.

Last edited by HappyDogToday; 01-24-2017 at 05:53 PM..

Old 01-24-2017, 05:57 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
If you are concerned about the ACA going away without an equivalent replacement, call or email your representative and senators to express your concern. They respond to their constituents. They especially respond when the email and phone systems crash due to overload.

Find Your Representative - Zip Code Lookup

https://www.senate.gov/senators/contact/

(202) 224-3121 (they will connect you directly)

Old 01-24-2017, 06:10 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I can understand the worry but it is possible your costs won't change too drastically.

Most of GOP replacement proposals have tax credits to offset costs of premiums that are based on age or a combination of age/income (as opposed to just income with ACA), and at age 61 you'll surely be in the tier with the most advantageous tax credits. For example under Senator Hatch's plan back in 2014 an individual your age would receive tax credits of $4,690 annually. Another upside (financially) is mandate will likely change where insurance plans won't be required to have things like prenatal care that you don't need so there might be plans with lower premiums that suit your needs.

The biggest downside for you is that the proposals widen the band on how much more insurers can charge for age, it is currently 3x but GOP proposals are 5x or 6x. Whether that is offset by age based tax credits and cheaper plans remains to be seen since final numbers are still unknown.
Not change drastically? Think that one through a tad.

Let's see, the cheapest Bronze plan offered us this year was $1275. If that is 3x base, then base is $425. 6x that base would be $2520. A month. Per year that is $30240. Subtract a $4690 tax credit and that is $25,550 a year. Even a $10,000 tax credit would be $20,000 a year in insurance.

Not that it matters, because we would likely be forced back on to the state high risk pool as it is not possible to guarantee both inexpensive insurance AND preexisting coverage without coverage limits.

The subset of people on the ACA that I belong to - private individuals over 55 with preexisting conditions - is going to get completely steamrollered over this.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:56 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Your calculations are based on a plan that meets all the requirements of coverage for ACA, including maternity and pediatric. New plans that don't offer services people don't need might be cheaper. Also = base multiple changes, someone 55 years old is 2.23.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:07 PM

6 posts, read 5,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I can understand the worry but it is possible your costs won't change too drastically.

Most of GOP replacement proposals have tax credits to offset costs of premiums that are based on age or a combination of age/income (as opposed to just income with ACA), and at age 61 you'll surely be in the tier with the most advantageous tax credits. For example under Senator Hatch's plan back in 2014 an individual your age would receive tax credits of $4,690 annually. Another upside (financially) is mandate will likely change where insurance plans won't be required to have things like prenatal care that you don't need so there might be plans with lower premiums that suit your needs.

The biggest downside for you is that the proposals widen the band on how much more insurers can charge for age, it is currently 3x but GOP proposals are 5x or 6x. Whether that is offset by age based tax credits and cheaper plans remains to be seen since final numbers are still unknown.
$4,690 won't mean much with a premium of $15,000 or $20,000. My guess is a lot of people will be uninsured or doing what my friend did- she got a part time job at Starbuck's at 62 so she could get cheap health insurance, she said they pay 70% of the premium.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:10 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Apply for disability and medicaid. At least you will be protected and you won't have to take SS at 62. It is not your fault they changed the rules. Do what's best for you!

Old 01-24-2017, 07:21 PM

588 posts, read 463,187 times
I get you

My ex pays $400 a month when he didn't have a good job because no one would give him a good job that being said, he still makes a HUGE (couldn't help it!) when he works. I pay from $120 back down to $57 a month. I make $17000 And that is a living wage for me. OK with me. I am still living with a roof, food, car, insurance and that's it. When Obamacare is gutted...well I will lose my leverage with the money I have saved.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:23 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
I'm heading over to Starbuck's tomorrow to see about a part-time job!

Old 01-24-2017, 07:46 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
Other than Oregon, what states have high risk pools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement