Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 03:03 PM

15,967 posts, read 7,032,343 times

Advertisements

I read a book once which talked about things one should do to be happy. It was written mostly for people who had some wealth (and white), both of which of course can make you happy by themselves, privilege and wealth.. But we also know money alone is not happiness, you can be wealthy and have a lot of unhappiness and regrets, and no love, although I have read somewhere love is not necessary for a happy life.

Several years ago I was laid off, I was worried abut my then teenaged son who I suspected was doing drugs or smoking pot, or worse selling the stuff. I felt very sad that I have failed him, and our marriage was stressful and miserable.

I decided what I needed was some beauty in my life. I decided to lay down a border of bricks around an island of trees and shrubs in our yard. I worked like mad every day, lugging bricks from Home depot, making a trench, laying the bricks end to end, maing them level. When I completed I had lost some weight, a bonus. A few years later I decided to work on a slope in the yard and dug and shoveled and scraped and got some shrubs and perennials in there. I don't remember if it made me happy but I was too exhausted to care.

My son graduate college, is in a career he enjoys, and is possibly getting married this year. We are retired. There is some money in the bank. The thing that makes me happy every single day is looking out of my porch every morning, my coffee and paper in hand, and seeing the blooming garden that I carved out of our yard in my days of misery.

I keep worry and unhappiness, even sadness, at bay when it gets too much that I cannot sleep, by isolating each thought and dropping it in an imaginary box, close the imaginary lids, and tape it. I tell myself I will open it tomorrow. I can then sleep. I wake up and half the things I worried about are no longer relevant. I work on the others.

How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 03:24 PM

6,594 posts, read 7,091,733 times
I listen to books. Play words with friends, and World of Warcraft. I play golf. I work on the yard or the house or the rental property. I cook and clean. Who has time for happiness? LOL

Old 05-28-2017, 03:44 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
I don't aim for happiness. I lean more towards these philosophies.

https://medium.com/art-of-practicali...s-65064d0cdd59

http://bigthink.com/praxis/against-t...t-of-happiness

Old 05-28-2017, 03:44 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Create happiness for others.

Old 05-28-2017, 03:47 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
I play music, walk on the trail by our house and Thank God on a daily basis. Having gratitude realy gets the happy juices flowing.

Expanding my friendships is another thing that gives me happiness as does helping others, which I do at a place where I volunteer.

Last edited by Mr5150; 05-28-2017 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: Should proof read before posting

Old 05-28-2017, 03:52 PM

15,967 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I play music, walk on the trail by our house and Thank God on a daily basis. Having gratitude real gets the happy juices flowing.

Expanding my friendships is another thing that gives me happiness as does helping others, which I do at a place where I volunteer.
I have heard retired people say making friends gets harder as you get older. What are they not doing right?

Old 05-28-2017, 04:14 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
I have more than one source of happiness, but one will suffice to tell about right now. I am happy if something I have done proves to be of value to someone else. I read aloud to fifth graders once a week for 30 minutes. It goes a little beyond just reading, as it includes explanations and answering questions and encouraging comments. At the end of each school year I distribute a questionnaire asking them to rate the books and stories which we have read together; they can also write comments.

A year ago a student wrote: "All year I looked forward to the day you came to read". Last week I got this one: "Every Wednesday I was excited to come to school because I couldn't wait to have you read to us". Another student wrote: "I liked this book so much (Where the Red Fern Grows) that I bought my own copy of it." These, and other similar comments, I consider to be real keepers. No amount of money could buy this deep gratification.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:15 PM

331 posts, read 315,754 times
I really don't think one can "create" happiness. Trying to "be happy" is sure to fail. Most of us have had the experience of trying to re-create some day that went perfectly and left us glowing. We take the same day trip on the same route, go to the same restaurant, do all the same things. But it never works. The perfect day "just happened" for a host of intangible reasons unique to that day that can't be re-created.

In general, happiness is found in being content with what you have and being grateful for it - in my case, grateful to God. This starts with being grateful for my very existence, for the opportunity to live at all. For the love of my wife. For amazingly good health for 67 years. For my goofy pets that have taught me more than most people. For all the crazy curveballs that life throws at me, even the ones that seem like disasters at the time but in retrospect were wonderful learning experiences.

I have intentionally opted for a small-town, quiet, middle-class lifestyle because that, for me, promotes the greatest contentment. I have always opted for free time over greater career success or more income. Now that I am more or less retired, happiness is found in long walks, reading, staying fit, taking care of my yard, and all the other small pleasures of life.

I strongly believe that great wealth, fame and even beauty are huge - HUGE - impediments to happiness. They bring fears, temptations and other challenges that make true happiness (meaning contentment) almost impossible. We all think we would trade places in a heartbeat with some mega-celebrity, but I think after a year of it we'd see it had been a foolish trade.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:25 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte74 View Post

I strongly believe that great wealth, fame and even beauty are huge - HUGE - impediments to happiness. They bring fears, temptations and other challenges that make true happiness (meaning contentment) almost impossible. We all think we would trade places in a heartbeat with some mega-celebrity, but I think after a year of it we'd see it had been a foolish trade.
I'd definitely take beauty and wealth! Fame, I do not need. I do not believe beauty and wealth are impediments to happiness!

Old 05-28-2017, 04:38 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte74 View Post
.................................................. ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I'd definitely take beauty and wealth! Fame, I do not need. I do not believe beauty and wealth are impediments to happiness!

If I had fame and/or great wealth, I would always be wondering if people seeking to be my friend, or my wife, or complimenting me were doing so sincerely or because of the fame and/or wealth. As it is, I have no power over anybody and no fame or wealth, so any kind words which come my way I take as being sincere and without ulterior motive. I like it that way.

Notice that Troglodyte wrote "great" wealth. I am pleased to have the means to live comfortably if not lavishly and to have enough for some extras from time to time. I believe avoidance of poverty increases the chances of happiness but does not guarantee it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement