Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 05:51 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,791,210 times

Advertisements

Kiss my husband more often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 08:29 PM

2,062 posts, read 1,961,337 times
I don't think that I've ever actively done anything to try to create happiness in my life. I know that I have a plethora of things that presently make me happy- too many to name. I believe happiness and contentment is a choice.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:43 PM

12,059 posts, read 8,461,166 times
Plan plans, not outcomes.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:52 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,297,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I made a New Year's resolution to say, out loud every night, 3 things for which I was thankful that day. Right after I go to bed each night I say, out loud, "I'm very thankful that..."

It can be something as small as being thankful for the fact that the grass seed has started to germinate or that my new washing machine works so well -- or something bigger like my dog's malignant tumor being gone.

I didnt realize how much happier, and more content with my life, doing that would make me. And I found that it's important to say it out loud because that helps me concentrate on the good things for which I'm being thankful.
Yes, I like to concentrate on the good things in my life.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:32 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,072,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Create happiness for others.
Ding ding, winner.

Secret of happiness is you can't keep it, you have to give it all away.
Burying yourself in projects is leaving it up to chance.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:40 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,072,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
Happiness isn't a goal. There's no creating it. Be content and grateful with what you have. Happiness happens when you're relaxed and content. It sneaks up on you.
Yeh, seeking happiness is like looking for the dark with a floodlight, the very pursuit dispels the peacefulness required to enjoy it. Its there all along under all the baloney we generate in our own life.
Gratitude breeds attitude.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:45 AM

698 posts, read 1,052,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I have heard retired people say making friends gets harder as you get older. What are they not doing right?

Perhaps expecting/wanting more of a new relationship than is possible to find in these times. Personally, I see depth in interactions of many kinds, receding. We live in an increasingly hurried, disposable world ; the relationships we may have known in the past where leisurely conversation allowed people to really get to know one another, is harder to find.

If having meaningful friendships of some depth is a means of creating happiness, I feel it often can be a tough road.

Catsy

Old 05-29-2017, 08:31 AM

50,403 posts, read 64,129,909 times
I count my blessings. I have also trained myself to "cut the self indulgent crap". Right now, dh and I are in a good place...fairly healthy and enough money to get by. The kids and grandkids are doing well.

I have a tendency to worry about "what ifs". I especially tend to stew in the middle of the night. I also stew about past mistakes, which is ridiculous. I allow myself to stew for a few minutes on one side, then turn over on my other side, where I am not allowed to think about the worrisome things.

I also know, from experience, that the things I worry about at night do not worry me at all during the day. I also know that my worrying will not change anything, only action will. So unless I can do something to change a thing that's worrying me, I let it go.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:15 AM

4,242 posts, read 949,939 times
Petting my dog ALWAYS makes me happy!

Old 05-29-2017, 10:52 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,687,271 times
Contentment, I think that is the thing most are attempting to describe as "happiness." I set aside a few minutes every morning to take note of all the blessings I've received. My health, wealth, good marriage, no family drama, good friends, the help I've received--as well as given, and--the reward of contentment derived from all the positives in my life..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement