Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Day you have a cpvalid passport?
Yes 161 80.90%
No 38 19.10%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 07:35 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I understand your question, OP, but the poll says 'Day you have a cpvalid passport?' ... what the heck does that mean? Should it not read .. 'Do you have a valid passport?'. In the latter case, the answer from me is yes. Two of them in fact. I could have 3 if I wanted to, but life is complicated enough with 2.
I apologized in my post for the typo, but in your rush to say how many passports you have or could have, you apparently missed that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 08:04 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times
Work for local government. 6 years ago we were certified to be a Passport Acceptance Center.

Got my first passport - and took a cruise. Probably my last as I hated it.

But I will keep renewing. Husband and I will probably travel to Austria to see where his dad grew up when we retire. I'd like to see Italy - and eat my way through it as well.....

Children are now required to have passports if they travel outside the country so business has been brisk.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:30 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
In the thread, Where can a US citizen retire outside the US?, it was posted that "The vast majority of Americans do not even have a passport, have not traveled much overseas (unless living in foxhole is counted)".

I wanted to see if that was true and from a quick Google search, learned that 1/3 of the population has a passport.

It's always brought up that posters on C-D retirement forum are not the average person. It will be interesting to see if a high number of people here have a valid passport.

Apologies for the poll typo.

Forbes Welcome. Written in 2012:

Times have changed. "More Americans have passports now than ever before," says Ken Chavez, spokesperson for the Bureau of Consular Affairs at the US State Department. Over one-third of the population to be exact, or nearly 110 million out of 313 million Americans. That's more than double the number of US passports in circulation in 2000 (48 million) and around 15 times 1989’s 7 million. At that last number (under 3 percent of Americans), you can sort of understand why my European traveling buddies were scandalized.
I'm not retired (heading there in a few years) but I use this forum for learning. I have had a passport since I was 27, needed it for my job. Developed a love of travel, and I've used it many times since then. My son has had a valid passport since he was 11.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:57 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I'm not retired (heading there in a few years) but I use this forum for learning. I have had a passport since I was 27, needed it for my job. Developed a love of travel, and I've used it many times since then. My son has had a valid passport since he was 11.
Traveling overseas wasn't even a thought when I was a kid. Our DIL's parents, sister and brother are all in different countries and my grandkids have had their passports since they were infants. It's a far different world for them visiting relatives than for me as a child.

I keep mine current to avoid last minute scrambles and to be ready for any opportunity.

Last edited by jean_ji; 02-05-2017 at 09:24 AM..

Old 02-05-2017, 10:02 AM

813 posts, read 1,133,545 times
I had to vote no. Even though I live overseas my current passport expired last month. I have a valid carnet here in Peru so I can travel to any MERCOSUR countries with it. I may travel to the US again in September(was there this past Oct), so have plenty of time to get a new one.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:05 AM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I haven't traveled outside the US since July, 2001 but I still have mine because it sits in my underwear drawer to be used as a perfect secondary id should I ever lose my wallet.

Will I ever leave the country again? I would like to take another cruise but that would be it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
"Underware drawer"??? Me too! I always know where it is, so it will never get lost.

I thought I was the only one who did that!

Old 02-05-2017, 10:39 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,489,659 times
Sounds high to me, but could be due to changes in the law.
At one time US Citizens could visit Canada, Mexico, and some places in Carribean without a passport.
Think about the 5000 people on your next cruise.
I can't remember the exact restrictions, but at some point they changed.
Maybe not to leave, but to return.
Therefore the bump.
I'm not hearing so many people vacationing or selling Europe and Asia, but I hear a lot going on cruises.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:41 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
We live near the Canadian border. Without our passports, where would we go to relax?

Old 02-05-2017, 10:49 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,018,330 times
When you are married to a Euro like I am , you MUST have one , we all do in this house, my mom had my first one done when I was VERY little, we traveled alot . My 15 year old is on like her 4th one .

But it takes alot more than that to retire anywhere outside the US .

Old 02-05-2017, 10:50 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Ours expired in December, so we need to get them renewed. We don't travel much, but want to be ready if we get the opportunity. There have been many times when we've needed it for ID over the years.
The last time was just last Ostober. Hubby had inadvertently let his license lapse at just the time we were signing some mtg papers. If he hadn't brought his passport as back up, everything would have been screwed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement