Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 10:35 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,299,572 times

Advertisements

My first real job (other than babysitting since I was 10 years old) was working in the women's department at JC Penney's at the local mall when I was a junior in high school. I did it for about a year. My sister also got a job there at the same time, but working in the boy's department. After that I quit to go work at a bookstore in the same mall. I did that until I finished high school.

During college I worked at a radio station during the school year, and then as a government intern every summer.

I've been working for 29 years (if you count high school) and have about 20 more to go.

But once I retire I'll still keep a job of SOME kind, even if it's working only 15-20 hours a week. And I plan on doing a lot more volunteering once I retire as well (about 10-12 hours a week). Between those two things and my hobbies, I should be plenty busy during my retirement years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 11:04 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,770,912 times
First job: paperboy for the Los Angeles Times, kept that job for four years, probably started at 10, maybe 11

Last job: satellite instrument operations technician, +34 years - at least for one more week when I officially retire a week from today. Been on my pseudo retirement for a month or so, (burning accrued vacation). (Can't believe how dang busy I've been.)

In between a variety of jobs, mostly as a lithographic estimator. Longest period without employment was two months while I was waiting for the current job to start after earning my undergraduate degree.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-28-2017, 11:55 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,871 times
First job 14 or 15 at an amusement park
Last job a steel mill, retired at 57.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:12 PM

554 posts, read 745,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
First job: paperboy for the Los Angeles Times, kept that job for four years, probably started at 10, maybe 11

Last job: satellite instrument operations technician, +34 years - at least for one more week when I officially retire a week from today. Been on my pseudo retirement for a month or so, (burning accrued vacation). (Can't believe how dang busy I've been.)

In between a variety of jobs, mostly as a lithographic estimator. Longest period without employment was two months while I was waiting for the current job to start after earning my undergraduate degree.

... C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S to YOU, VOLOSONG! ...
Some of us are jealous!!

Old 02-28-2017, 01:23 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Started working on my own at 12, meaning mowing lawns, washing cars, throwing papers.

First real job: Drain cleaning service I worked part time for at age 16 I was paid 25% of the labor

Second job: Passing out flyers all over Malibu for a Septic Cleaning Service.

First full time job: Muffler shop cleaning and then cutting out the old mufflers and pipes. $3.50 an hour Age 17

Hired full time at the drain cleaning service at 17 and paid a whopping $4.65 an hour plus 50% of the labor after 5pm and on weekends. Made more after hours then I did working during the week.

By 19 I was working in the Oil Fields in Taft California for $13 an hour and I thought I was rich.

had a slew of other jobs by the time I was 24 and then became a manager of a Window Washing company.

After heavy rains killed my money making ability I was hired by a locksmith company and taught that trade at age 26. By 32 I left the Locksmith shop for a position in the Facilities Department at a Hospital as a Locksmith. I am still there after 19 years. I worked my way up and now I am a Project Manager for the department. I plan on being here for at least another 20 years. I will be 71 then. LOL

Old 02-28-2017, 01:44 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,555,611 times
Technically, my first job was babysitting. My first "real" job was at the lunch counter of a drug store after school and on weekends. I took the orders, cooked the orders, served the orders, and collected money for the orders. Once I graduated high school, my first full-time job at 17 was processing claims for Fireman's Insurance Co. Once I turned 18, I got a government job. I've been in an office (different employers) ever since and will probably retire from the company I work for now (very large construction company). At this point, I have worked 36 years full-time.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:58 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
First job - Christmas help at JC Penney's at 16 or 17. Last job is the one I have now which is a data entry type position. I only work 12 hours a week.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:37 PM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times
ONE MORE WEEK for Volosong!! You're gonna love retirement. Keep us posted?

Old 02-28-2017, 06:07 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,825,782 times
My first job was on an assembly line in a factory when I was 19. Started at minimum wage, $2.05 an hour, I believe. I was socially awkward, it was not fun. But I made decent money, for that time and with no education other than high school.

Next job, again a factory, again an assembly line. Became line leader, made a bit more money. Cute guy came on the line, eventually I asked him out---still married to him to this day. It'll be our 40 year anniversary this coming July.

Yeah, and I just turned 62, been unemployed for over a year. Don't know how this "retirement" thing is going to work.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:08 PM

696 posts, read 703,841 times
I started at McD's when I was 17 and worked there for three years. I wanted to work tobacco like my younger brother and a couple of my friends when I was around 15, but my father said it was too dirty a job for girls. I found out years later that he was just trying to keep me away from the boys working there.

After McD's, I worked for just over a year as an inspector of jet engine parts before getting laid off with 600 other inspectors. By then, I was married and pregnant with my first child, so back to McD's I went and worked as a manager. Because my schedule was flexible, I stayed for 16 years while raising my children and ultimately returning to college.

My last place of employment was an engineering consulting firm, where I conducted environmental investigations and clean-ups first in the field, then as a project manager. I worked there more than 21 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement