Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 03:19 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,481,327 times

Advertisements

I don't care, I just can't stand seein' all a them illegals benefiting from Obamacare ....

/sarc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 03:46 PM

5,344 posts, read 6,062,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
This is what bothers me most about the free market argument. Why does our healthcare insurance have to include money that goes to insurance company profits and exorbitant CEO salaries. It's expensive enough without adding on those costs. Does anyone else besides me remember when Blue Cross/Blue Shield was a non-profit organization?
BCBS is still nonprofit in Maryland.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaLee2 View Post
During the creation of ACA people were worried about the effect it would have on their workplace insurance. Will the Republican bill change workplace insurance into policies that charge people in their 50s and above 5x as much as younger workers in the same workplace? I saw a discussion this morning about on FedSoup forum speculating that the federal health insurance would (or might be?) be changed to the age based model.
Interesting. This morning I was wondering if the next hit will be the Federal retiree health care plans.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:22 PM

11,578 posts, read 6,784,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
The ACA was good for some and less good for others. The answer is single payer like the rest of the industrialized world.
AGREED!!!!

And to answer another posters question....YES there is another thread on this topic already!

Old 03-20-2017, 06:26 PM

8,922 posts, read 5,661,150 times
Too bad, most of these people Love Trump. Maybe they've got what they voted for?

Old 03-20-2017, 09:43 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,257,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The Paul Ryan/Trump plan does nothing to address overall cost, either.

What it does is change the maximum premium for older people to 5x that of younger people. It also allows younger/healthier people to opt out with only a minor penalty. It kills subsidies. Only expensive sick people will use the exchanges.

The net result? If you're in the 55 to 64 age bracket, your premiums will at least double and you'll get a $4,000 tax credit. That $1,700/mo will turn into $3K+/mo and you'll get a small tax credit that will look nothing like the the $15K premium increase you'll see.

If you're really high income and paying Medicare taxes on investment income, this is all a great deal. Only the 0.1% benefit from it.
That $3K+ number sounds like it was fabricated by the Fake News (CNN) industry. Think about the absurdity of your claim that .1% benefit and 99.9% are worse off, that wouldn't be possible if that was the goal.

Anyway, as I said already, Obamacare is a failure because it didn't address exorbitant cost. If whatever plan the GOP comes up with doesn't address exorbitant cost, it will also be a failure.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:52 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,930,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
BCBS is still nonprofit in Maryland.
Why is that important? Non-profit status does not limit administrative pay or mean an organization is efficient

Quote:
William L. Jews, chief executive of CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield, collected $2.7 million in salary and incentive pay last year, a 34 percent raise over the previous year's compensation, according to documents filed with the Maryland Insurance Administration.

Six executive vice presidents received $372,780 to $862,038, an average raise of 20 percent for the five who were with CareFirst throughout 2000 and 2001. Daniel J. Altobello, the chairman of the CareFirst board, was paid $84,667, an increase of 18 percent.
LINK

Old 03-21-2017, 09:04 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,540,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
That $3K+ number sounds like it was fabricated by the Fake News (CNN) industry. Think about the absurdity of your claim that .1% benefit and 99.9% are worse off, that wouldn't be possible if that was the goal.

Anyway, as I said already, Obamacare is a failure because it didn't address exorbitant cost. If whatever plan the GOP comes up with doesn't address exorbitant cost, it will also be a failure.
The republican version is ignoring costs too, just arguing over who's going to pay. Same sh*t, different day.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:03 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,928,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
The final plan will look nothing like the one now. Not even worth discussing.
If they have been working on a better plan all the while Obama was in office, why did they not come out with a great plan to begin with.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Why is that important? Non-profit status does not limit administrative pay or mean an organization is efficient

LINK
Did I say it was important? Obviously I was replying to a poster.

Nevertheless, our nonprofits are required to reveal expenses including salaries, etc., unlike the for-profits. In addition, BCBS and other nonprofit insurance companies are required to donate a significant amount of their revenue to other nonprofit organizations in the state. I like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement