Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 10:11 PM

329 posts, read 470,724 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of buying our retirement home and moving out of state this summer..
I have always lived in smaller homes.. I for once would love to have a home that is 1800 + sq ft and large yard.. My husband said we don't need all that, but this is basicly our last home and would love to have more space ..
Have you ever Upsized your retirement home? Glad you did or regret it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 02:23 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
we moved from a tiny 1600 sq ft house in DC to a much bigger one in rural NH and love it. Yard went from 3000 sq ft to two acres. Love that, too.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:31 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,322,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therese marie View Post
We are in the process of buying our retirement home and moving out of state this summer..
I have always lived in smaller homes.. I for once would love to have a home that is 1800 + sq ft and large yard.. My husband said we don't need all that, but this is basicly our last home and would love to have more space ..
Although I've been retired since Nov 2015, we have not yet downsized. We had initially planned to fix up and sell the house.

Our house is a too big 4600 sq ft but after getting new windows, appliances, roof, doors, deck, and paint we realized that we really like the place. Yes, it's too big and I have rooms that I rarely visit, but it sure is nice to be able to stretch out and use the space for projects.

When you're retired and living in the same space, you can get on each others nerves. You need to adapt to your new living situation.

Another factor is that houses here are getting more and more expensive every month. Way too many people are moving to Colorado.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:10 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
We went from a 1000 sq ft bungalow with < a quarter acre, to a 1750 sq ft single level on > 1/2 acre. The living areas separate our bedroom from the other two, so we can't hear what the other one is saying from the bedroom on one side of the house to the bedroom/ office on the other side. This can be a good thing or a bad thing sometimes.

It's not a huge step up, but gives us some breathing room from ourselves and neighbors.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:14 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
we have a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment in queens nyc . we had bought a potential retirement home in the pocono's in pa .

here in nyc none of the kids stay over , they are all local .

we had to get a 3000 sq ft home in pa because everyone stays over . so we had a 2 bedroom apartment with small expenses in to owning ,heating ,cooling and maintaining a full house

Old 03-21-2017, 05:18 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
We have some older people here who sold their single story ranch style houses and bought 4 level "luxury" townhouses. They're complaining a lot about the stairs. Their HOA tells them there's nothing it can do about it and I tell them the same thing in regards to the Town. They go home unhappy.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:18 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
I am trying to downsize to a smaller property from a farm. Problem is, smaller, suburban-type properties seem to all have larger houses! So I will no doubt be forced to sell an acreage with a small, but perfect little house, and move to a small lot (around 0.5 ac) with a house much bigger than I need. Yes there are older, small, often brick, houses on larger suburban lots, but unfortunately they tend to have neighbors who don't keep their properties tidy.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:59 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,028,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therese marie View Post
We did. We moved from a 1200 sq ft home to a 2400 sq ft. We love it!

Like you, both of us had always lived in small homes. My DH and I now can spread out so we aren't on top of each other all the time, I don't have to hear his TV or radio and he doesn't have to hear mine, and we have enough space so that it isn't cluttered all the time.

I am so happy that we did this. We did need to hire a housecleaning service because I wanted it to stay looking nice and I knew I couldn't keep up with it, but it was well worth it to have the space.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:11 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I would assume the people doing this are people who lived in condos or small SFHs in major, expensive metro areas, then retired to a low cost area where larger homes are the norm.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:03 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
We did. Bought a 1900 sq foot (give or take) Jan 16 and are almost done with the renovations.

I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement