Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 04:46 PM

163 posts, read 95,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Not a grits, or biscuits person...just wish we could find a decent pizza. You would think, it`s just a pizza, no big deal......until you can`t get one. LOL
Understand you might not want to share your exact location, but are you in the Lowcountry, the Upstate, the Midlands, etc? If outside of Charlotte, I know the pizza place for you! Please understand I know your pain after many years in the south--dying for a cheesesteak--a real one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2023, 06:27 PM

12,041 posts, read 6,574,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
Agreed, but lest we forget... the summers too. ;-)
And the bugs…big bugs ….lots of them
Giant Pythons — big enough to eat deer or your dog
Giant alligators — big enough to eat your dog … or you……

Old 01-27-2023, 07:33 PM

2,864 posts, read 1,810,075 times
1st, haven't read all the Posts do know a couple posted, they moved in a neighborhood west of Hendersonville, NC. Very welcomed by the neighbors. Eastern Tennessee seems a popular location.

Must comment on culture. Road Scholar trip to Charleston. On a day to choose your own activity, I enjoy talking, hearing people's stories. Felt at times, why are you talking to those people, especially those serving at the breakfast buffet. Others were surprised I talked to them. Returning home, miss the slow cooked grits, B-B-Q !

Old 01-27-2023, 08:10 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,381,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebebe View Post
This site might be helpful to you.

State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees
I question some of the tax ratings in this guide - how can CA be rated as tax friendly, the same as FL (friendly) and better than AK (mixed) and significantly better than TX (least tax friendly) for taxes when CA taxes most income at high rates, has high sales, gas and property taxes yet these other states do not tax any income.

Old 01-28-2023, 07:43 AM

9,867 posts, read 7,740,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Never said we were going to relocate again. You need to do your own research, you can not depend on others to do it for you.....decide on what you want, and visit different locations.....one persons paradise....is another persons hell.
Agree. We moved to SC 15 years ago and we're very happy here. We did travel to different parts of the state as well as NC and TN before deciding.

Our area has tons of great restaurants. I can take back roads to avoid traffic. And when the chilly weather is too much, we can jump in the car and do a few days in Florida.

Old 01-28-2023, 09:21 AM

357 posts, read 225,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
I question some of the tax ratings in this guide - how can CA be rated as tax friendly, the same as FL (friendly) and better than AK (mixed) and significantly better than TX (least tax friendly) for taxes when CA taxes most income at high rates, has high sales, gas and property taxes yet these other states do not tax any income.
California doesn’t tax Social Security. Maybe that’s a factor.

Old 01-28-2023, 10:53 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
If you click on the state you can go a more detail explanation as to why the state was given their ranking.

California

The Golden State's reputation as a high-tax state is built in part on how aggressively it goes after big earners, with a 13.3% income tax rate that kicks in at $1 million (for single filers) of taxable income. But the state's income tax brackets are actually very progressive, so for more modest incomes, the impact is far milder.

https://www.kiplinger.com/state-by-s...xes/california

Old 01-28-2023, 04:24 PM

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceswithBeagles View Post
California doesn’t tax Social Security. Maybe that’s a factor.
Another factor is Prop 13 which helps keep property taxes under control once you purchase a house, but it benefits people that have owned their home for a long time the most.

With that said, there are other taxes that may not be labeled as taxes such as car registration which I believe can be significantly higher than most other states. Then there is the tax on gasoline, about 70 cents per gallon which helps to make the cost of car fuel very high in CA. Let's not forget the sales tax which varies by county but I think it's now averaging over 8% and can be as high as almost 11%.

Store food isn't taxed but all restaurant food is and I believe most services are too. Also, although not a tax, CA has among the highest utility rates for gas and electric in the country and you pay taxes on those utility bills. It all adds up quickly and nicely for the state.
I lived there for 50 years and was never a high income person. Even so, I had to pay state income tax every year. If you are single, don't have write offs such as owning a house to lower your tax burden, you really get nailed. I owned a house so that helped but I still payed state income tax. The state of CA is notorious for going after you even worse than the IRS.

Last edited by marino760; 01-28-2023 at 05:00 PM..

Old 01-28-2023, 06:23 PM

43,127 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Another factor is Prop 13 which helps keep property taxes under control once you purchase a house, but it benefits people that have owned their home for a long time the most.

With that said, there are other taxes that may not be labeled as taxes such as car registration which I believe can be significantly higher than most other states. Then there is the tax on gasoline, about 70 cents per gallon which helps to make the cost of car fuel very high in CA. Let's not forget the sales tax which varies by county but I think it's now averaging over 8% and can be as high as almost 11%.

Store food isn't taxed but all restaurant food is and I believe most services are too. Also, although not a tax, CA has among the highest utility rates for gas and electric in the country and you pay taxes on those utility bills. It all adds up quickly and nicely for the state.
I lived there for 50 years and was never a high income person. Even so, I had to pay state income tax every year. If you are single, don't have write offs such as owning a house to lower your tax burden, you really get nailed. I owned a house so that helped but I still payed state income tax. The state of CA is notorious for going after you even worse than the IRS.
And all that needs to be considered when looking for a "retirement" state.

Old 01-28-2023, 06:25 PM

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
And all that needs to be considered when looking for a "retirement" state.
And that's exactly what I did. I didn't want a repeat of the place I just left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement