Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2023, 04:13 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Regrets yes, but not because of the crowds.
Do tell!

Last edited by otterhere; 01-21-2023 at 05:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2023, 04:55 PM

514 posts, read 442,194 times
Quote:
Regrets yes, but not because of the crowds.
Hmm… Would be interested to know why, if you wouldn’t mind sharing. Perhaps it would help others out when contemplating S.C.

Old 01-22-2023, 09:50 AM

8,752 posts, read 5,044,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
Hmm… Would be interested to know why, if you wouldn’t mind sharing. Perhaps it would help others out when contemplating S.C.
We are finding SC winters just to cold. Winters no doubt, so much better then up north, but not warm enough for us. We can`t sit outside, or by the pool. Also the food, and restaurants, are not very good.....others here have the same opinion. I would rather live up north in the summer, and snowbird to Florida.....JMHO.

Old 01-22-2023, 10:43 AM

43,055 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
We are finding SC winters just to cold. Winters no doubt, so much better then up north, but not warm enough for us. We can`t sit outside, or by the pool. Also the food, and restaurants, are not very good.....others here have the same opinion. I would rather live up north in the summer, and snowbird to Florida.....JMHO.
Maybe a bit further south like Georgia ? They are very tax friendly for retirees.

That utopia with 75 degrees year round is very elusive for me.

I'm enjoying the restaurants here. They know how to make good grits in SC as well as biscuits and gravy

But, coming from Texas, I'm not used to their BBQ. It's pork, not beef as default.

Old 01-22-2023, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Maybe a bit further south like Georgia ? They are very tax friendly for retirees.

That utopia with 75 degrees year round is very elusive for me.

I'm enjoying the restaurants here. They know how to make good grits in SC as well as biscuits and gravy

But, coming from Texas, I'm not used to their BBQ. It's pork, not beef as default.
Not a grits, or biscuits person...just wish we could find a decent pizza. You would think, it`s just a pizza, no big deal......until you can`t get one. LOL

Old 01-22-2023, 11:46 AM

43,055 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Not a grits, or biscuits person...just wish we could find a decent pizza. You would think, it`s just a pizza, no big deal......until you can`t get one. LOL
I grew up in NYC...pizza and Chinese food were good no matter which restaurant you went to.

Texas....I gave up and had to do with Papa John's. Any Chinese place had the rice tasting like Mexican rice.

But here...I found an Italian place that makes pizza that brings back memories of NYC pizza parlors.
I found my pizza alright and it's a full Italian restaurant with real Italian food...canoli's to die for.

It's in NMB..Benito's Brick Oven on Hwy 17. I don't know which part of SC you are located in.
They also have one in Conway.

Can't find a good bagel though...that one still evades me.

The Chinese food here is so-so but at least the rice doesn't have a Mexican flavor to it

Old 01-22-2023, 03:48 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,376,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I grew up in NYC...pizza and Chinese food were good no matter which restaurant you went to.

Texas....I gave up and had to do with Papa John's. Any Chinese place had the rice tasting like Mexican rice.

But here...I found an Italian place that makes pizza that brings back memories of NYC pizza parlors.
I found my pizza alright and it's a full Italian restaurant with real Italian food...canoli's to die for.

It's in NMB..Benito's Brick Oven on Hwy 17. I don't know which part of SC you are located in.
They also have one in Conway.

Can't find a good bagel though...that one still evades me.

The Chinese food here is so-so but at least the rice doesn't have a Mexican flavor to it
We visited my brother a while back (5 years), we went to a place called "Joey O's"....not sure if it was NC or SC being he lives in Calabash next to the SC border, the owner is from NY, true NY Pizza.....at least I liked it

Old 01-22-2023, 07:53 PM

Quote:
So you relocated to SC for retirement and now have to relocate again? That's upsetting! May I ask how much and what kind of research you did before deciding on this destination? Just to help the rest of us...

Old 01-23-2023, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
So you relocated to SC for retirement and now have to relocate again? That's upsetting! May I ask how much and what kind of research you did before deciding on this destination? Just to help the rest of us...
Never said we were going to relocate again. You need to do your own research, you can not depend on others to do it for you.....decide on what you want, and visit different locations.....one persons paradise....is another persons hell.

Old 01-23-2023, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Never said we were going to relocate again.
I thought you said you'd rather snowbird up north and in Florida? Sorry to misunderstand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement