Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 10:09 AM

547 posts, read 506,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Have you thought about north Georgia? Some counties do not charge seniors the school tax portion of the property tax. Lots of 55+ communities...levels of amenities vary. You might check out the Canton, GA area.
Nothing to see in North Georgia. Move along everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 12:59 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
RE: Florida, be sure to consider global warming. I wouldn't buy beachfront.

Old 03-25-2017, 01:41 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That's what you get for living in the middle of the state.

Here on Miami Beach, the high Wednesday was 82.9 reached at exactly 1:48pm. And with the exception of a small period in the afternoon between 1-3:30, it was in the 70s all day from 9:47am on, with a nice cool Atlantic Ocean breeze. And it was in the high 60s before that.

https://www.wunderground.com/persona...0170322/mdaily

BTW, it's currently 73.9 at 9:12am on this beautiful Saturday morning, as I sit here on my living room sofa, drinking my coffee & posting on C-D, while watching the waves crash onto the shore.

Saturday afternoon on the SW Gulf side and currently 79 degrees at 3 PM. I picked up some plants at a resident's plant sale this afternoon and picked some cotton bolls this morning. The windows have been open during the day since Halloween and the heat hasn't been used at all this year.

I like FL a lot. I like the flatness, I grew up in flat but without the beaches. I have five public beaches within 15 miles from our house. I usually go to one three miles away and use the electric ferry to get across the ICW to the community beach, which is 1.5 miles away. While the summer is stifling and lasts too long, I get out just like I did in the winter up north. In season the traffic increases, the stores and restaurants are busy, the beach parking lots can be crowded and it takes another 10 minutes to pick up my grandson at preschool. I chose to live where people want to be in the winter, so none of this came as a surprise.

I like sunshine, blue skies and generally the happier people here. My day to day interactions at stores, doctor/dentist offices, and pretty much everywhere is friendlier than in NY. I liked it there too and still do, it is what it is.

One neighbor snowbirds from MA and a new neighbor just bought a... what do you call a second home in FL when you live in Hawaii? There are lots of people, many different kinds of neighborhoods and FL isn't always someone's idea of someplace to live and that isn't a surprise either.

Last edited by jean_ji; 03-25-2017 at 01:58 PM..

Old 03-25-2017, 01:46 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
RE: Florida, be sure to consider global warming. I wouldn't buy beachfront.

I wouldn't be buying near the Cascadia fault line either, but hey, each to their own.

Old 03-25-2017, 02:12 PM

11 posts, read 14,445 times
Default Flooding

I looked into Conway, have you seen the horrible flooding they get, something to consider

Old 03-25-2017, 08:10 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,701,333 times
I got transferred from Florida to South carolina for work back in 2007... one thing I instantly noticed was the addition of the state income tax, how ungodly much it cost to register the vehicles, and the incredible heat and humidity there compared to Florida. I spent exactly 5 years there before I was allowed to escape.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:52 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Interesting; I always thought South Carolina would be cooler and drier than Florida? I can see I'll have to read this whole thread (carefully)...

Old 03-26-2017, 06:07 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I am a native Floridian, and there is nowhere else I would rather live. I hope you all don't move here, though,because it is getting WAY too crowded!

I personally do not like SC for many reasons; and my opinion it is WAY hotter and more humid in the summer. I live in a beautiful coastal town; and yes, it is hot in the summer, but not unbearable and I almost always have a little breeze.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:10 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I am a native Floridian, and there is nowhere else I would rather live. I hope you all don't move here, though,because it is getting WAY too crowded!

I personally do not like SC for many reasons; and my opinion it is WAY hotter and more humid in the summer. I live in a beautiful coastal town; and yes, it is hot in the summer, but not unbearable and I almost always have a little breeze.
Yes, that is the key. Living on the coast is much better than living inland. I grew up in Miami and even I didn't realize how much milder living right on the water was as compared to just a few miles inland.

And until we bought a condo on the beach, I had no idea that it rained much less there as compared to the city. My parents live 15 miles inland from Miami Beach and many times the sky will be overcast or even raining there while we are having a perfectly marvelous sunny day. In fact, the City of Miami Beach averages 10 fewer inches of rainfall a year than does Miami itself.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:34 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I couldn't live in Florida. It's too flat, flat, flat. Not even a small hill. I would go insane.
Well there's "beach" flat and then there's "Iowa cornfield" flat -- give me the beach any day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement