Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 02:59 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times

Advertisements

oh lord, it's rarely good to bring up relationship issues because of the onslaught which occurs.....

just my opinion - but reading the Relationships Forum one can see the onslaughts - now it accidentally moved to the Retirement Forum!

Last edited by matisse12; 03-25-2017 at 03:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 03:44 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
It's time to split, divorceville.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:18 PM

320 posts, read 234,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I'm not retirement age, but I know exactly what I would do if I had the resources and freedom to travel and have fun, and a spouse who didn't want to join me.

I would grab a couple of my best friends and go, anyway!

It may be that he derives true pleasure from his work. If that's the case, let him enjoy it, but that is no reason to deny yourself. Maybe, if he sees you having the time of your life, he will reconsider and accompany you now and then.
When you put it that way "derives true pleasure from his work" I'm not so sure that's what it is. He seems addicted to his work--he's a workaholic, and I'm not even sure he knows why. He has always been that way. Never able to relax when he's not working, always needing to be "connected" on the rare occasions when we are away. And, that makes him happy. I doubt he will ever retire, if he has the choice.

I'm used to traveling for business & to visit my kids who were at school out of state and country. I just bought a ticket and went. Never gave it a second thought. So, I just need to keep doing it and enjoying myself. I'll book a trip to someplace nearby for the two of us this summer & plan trips for myself solo and with my daughter.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:25 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crillon View Post
When you put it that way "derives true pleasure from his work" I'm not so sure that's what it is. He seems addicted to his work--he's a workaholic, and I'm not even sure he knows why. He has always been that way. Never able to relax when he's not working, always needing to be "connected" on the rare occasions when we are away. And, that makes him happy. I doubt he will ever retire, if he has the choice.

I'm used to traveling for business & to visit my kids who were at school out of state and country. I just bought a ticket and went. Never gave it a second thought. So, I just need to keep doing it and enjoying myself. I'll book a trip to someplace nearby for the two of us this summer & plan trips for myself solo and with my daughter.
Maybe he'll be that one person, who on his death bed, will say "I wish I had spent more time working and less time relaxing."

Old 03-25-2017, 09:44 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I'd do the travel however I could. You travel with your daughter, so continue that.

You could also travel with Elderhostel, if you want to go solo, but not all by yourself.

Profile of Road Scholar, Formerly Elderhostel

You might try to talk to your husband about why he wants to work 10 more years. If he is complaining about your spending money, he might feel a strong need to keep earning. If you have the resources, though, retirement is great. If you can retire, so do, if you want to. Whether you do that or not, I'd travel with or without him. Its too bad that he feels the way he does. But if he has always been resistant to change, he might always feel this way.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:50 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
For many men, their self worth is derived from their work. Maybe he feels by retiring he's not a productive member of society. Maybe he hates traveling now and wants to be in his own place with familiar surroundings like a lot of people.

It sounds like you have a good marriage, so maybe you two should sit down and have a serious conversation about why he wants to work another 10 years.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:48 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
For many men, their self worth is derived from their work. Maybe he feels by retiring he's not a productive member of society. Maybe he hates traveling now and wants to be in his own place with familiar surroundings like a lot of people.

It sounds like you have a good marriage, so maybe you two should sit down and have a serious conversation about why he wants to work another 10 years.
Everyone knows if you're still working, you're still young. If you're still young, you can't die.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:54 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,841 times
Let him keep working and retire if you want to retire! There's plenty of things to do on your own to enjoy.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:12 AM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,367 times
I know a handful of people who worked their whole life away. The closer they got to FRA, the health problems cropped up. Shortly after retirement, sadly they died. Life's short. Live life now. If I were in your shoes, I'd retire and live my dreams. You'll probably end up inspiring your husband in the process.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:40 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Do any of you who fly to Europe or Asia have qualms and fears about flying due to terrorism on planes?
No, of course not. In December we flew Lufthansa to Berlin and in January we flew home from Vienna on Austrian Airlines. In May, we are flying to Paris on Air France, and I am currently working on a trip for this fall that will involve either flying to London for a transatlantic cruise from Southampton back to the U.S., or flying to Copenhagen for a similar cruise back to Miami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
do it now. you start hitting major insurance and travel barriers at 60,65, and especially 70.
I know of no major insurance barriers to traveling at age 60, 65, 70, 80, or even 90. There is an entire industry built around providing health insurance for individuals while they are traveling internationally to places where their own personal or government-provided healthcare plans don't provide coverage. If it wasn't for such coverage, most Americans covered by Medicare wouldn't be able to travel. I've been purchasing travel insurance since I was in my 20s even though my Blue Cross policy covers me while I travel internationally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement