Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 02:45 PM

496 posts, read 553,710 times

Advertisements

Exercise, diet, and good attitude won't keep one from getting Old. This hardly means one shouldn't practice them, if there seems to be a payoff.

Our culture (and probably most other cultures, if they're honest) fear and disdain old age as the gateway to disability, dementia, and death. Regardless, most of us will seek to stay alive as long as possible. We may as well maintain a good attitude about ourselves. Perhaps we can even be allowed to indulge in a few illusions, as long as they do not lead, say, someone with fragile bones to go up on a 2-story roof to check a loose shingle. Best to keep a medical eye on the bones and other items that may be getting weaker.

I have never seen what is so awful about people (perhaps deceivingly) thinking they look younger than they really are. Who are they harming? Let 'em have their illusions. My looks are not diminished, if the next person thinks he or she is better-looking than they really are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 02:54 PM

808 posts, read 712,681 times
I consider middle age being ages 45 to 64 and elderly beginning at 80, at that point having outlived the average person and having (hopefully) gained lots of life experience.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:22 PM

12,063 posts, read 10,289,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
Exercise, diet, and good attitude won't keep one from getting Old. This hardly means one shouldn't practice them, if there seems to be a payoff.

Our culture (and probably most other cultures, if they're honest) fear and disdain old age as the gateway to disability, dementia, and death. Regardless, most of us will seek to stay alive as long as possible. We may as well maintain a good attitude about ourselves. Perhaps we can even be allowed to indulge in a few illusions, as long as they do not lead, say, someone with fragile bones to go up on a 2-story roof to check a loose shingle. Best to keep a medical eye on the bones and other items that may be getting weaker.

I have never seen what is so awful about people (perhaps deceivingly) thinking they look younger than they really are. Who are they harming? Let 'em have their illusions. My looks are not diminished, if the next person thinks he or she is better-looking than they really are.
I've been exercising with a senior lady that has a great figure and wants us to think she is a lot younger. I never asked and she finally told us. I of course told her "no way". But her face and neck looks like a topographic map for some very steep slopes. So yes, I let her indulge in her illusions.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:37 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,694,459 times
My cousin who is a GP - as well as a friend who is same - tell me that 90% plus of the disease and suffering they see is life-style based (caused). I believe them.

As far as single people seeming younger - that makes perfect sense. Couples have likely dealt more with children and with extremely stressful situations in life related to having more people to be responsible for and to. My brother probably looks 10 years younger than I do - but he didn't have to roll his children into surgery a dozen times and work as hard as I did - either mentally or physically.

I am somewhat of the opinion that most of our systems are designed for a certain number of hours of function. Sure, we've somewhat fixed that with the human heart but most of the other systems retain their original design.

Stress is the biggest killer....and also makes one older quickly. Is that bad? Not if the "mileage" was put on because you were helping others live, prosper and grow.

As far as dancing, clubbing or drinking...we never did that when we were 25 (raising babies)...and we don't do it now. I'm 63 and still sail, play tennis, ride my bike, walk for miles, bound up the steps, etc.

At the same time the aches and pains are there. That's what drugs, exercise and stretching are for.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:52 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,920,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
YOU think she looks 45 & that's nice but she can't be "younger at 70 than your grandmother was..." she'll still be 70. Not "younger".

We can move til the day we die...doesn't stop the clock. Why can't people accept this?

I think you know very well what that poster meant by "younger", therefore you are playing word games.

But in case you really didn't know, she meant younger in appearance, functioning, spirit, attitude, energy, outlook, and zest for living.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:55 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,254,473 times
compared to a rock,,,,i am younger than an infant!!

I'm a classic with high miles..

Old 04-04-2017, 09:54 PM

13,447 posts, read 9,974,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Hate to break it to you, you'll be old. Healthy or not. You're already old to some of the younger parents...Nothing you can do.

No one says: "oh look! An experienced man!" They think old. Sorry.
Sure, when I'm 90 I'll be old.

I'm not old yet. Obviously the poster who said we aren't attractive after 40 and that nobody would want to marry us at that decrepit age is 12, so they definitely think I'm old.

And yeah, no one's going to look at me and say "look! An experienced man!"

That would be even funnier. When I said I had a child at 42, I meant I had the child.

Ah who cares - my husband is younger than I, so I'll always have a bit of youthful booty on hand.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:54 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,415,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
No because they referred to her as a " woman". She thinks she is a teeny bopper. To her " woman" is OLD.
Yes, it's like the time someone yelled "Hey LADY, the line starts over here!" (gas line, that's how long ago it was)....I was like, is she talking to ME? I was in my 30's.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:06 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,415,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
??? Why does it sound awful? Most 90 year olds are proud to reveal their age. All 70 means is that the person was born 70 years ago. Are they probably closer to their death than a 20 year old? No question, except for the rare illness or accident for the younger person. I can't figure out whether people who are horrified of aging/a specific age love life or are scared of it. If they are scared of death and/or want to live forever, then until it is figured out how to live forever frozen at whatever preferred age, the only alternative is to age.

So was your neighbor responsible for the death of the motorcyclist? Seems to me that would have been a bigger concern than people now knowing her age! (Although I really don't understand why newspapers give age.)
Absolutely not...the motorcyclist went through a red light at a high rate of speed and hit her. Of course she was upset and horrified, but I just thought in the midst of all that, it was funny that she was concerned about people knowing her age when the article appeared a few days later. A lot of it was due to the fact she was still working and didn't want her age known to co-workers for legitimate reasons.

As far as 70 sounding awful, I don't know any of my peers who are happy about turning 70 and certainly none of them proudly announce their age. Maybe at 90...but not 70. That is a clear turning-point from middle-aged to elderly.

Old 04-05-2017, 05:58 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,120,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

Stress is the biggest killer....and also makes one older quickly.
Where do people come up with these ideas?

The main causes of death are:
Heart disease
Cancer
Chronic lower respiratory disease
Stroke
Diabetes
Alzheimers

For most the causes are fairly well understood. Genetics plays a part. Lifestyle choices including diet and lack of exercise and smoking can contribute. Bad luck is a big factor for diseases such as cancer. It is pretty hard to see where "stress" can be a factor for any of these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement