Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 05:32 PM

554 posts, read 745,177 times

Advertisements

I won't go into too much detail here ... Mainly, what my DW and I would like to understand is: "Is it easier to deal with car dealers while we're still working? Or, should we wait until we're retired to replace our oldest vehicle"?

It seems pretty sensible to me that dealers (and lending institutions) are "in it for the money", and so would be more inclined to 'deal' with you when you have regular, earned-income to show them; like your latest pay stub, or something. Once we retire, we'll still have regular income ... just nowhere-near the level we have coming in, right now.

It sounds reasonable but, has anyone experienced anything different from this line of thought? Please don't hesitate to "weigh-in" about this, 'cause I told DW that I would ask-around about it.

Thanks! ... TC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 05:48 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
You answered your own question. When will u be the better credit risk? That will drive the interest rate you pay. We have purchased two cars and a second home in retirement, however we had fixed income streams and had maintained a high credit scores in retirement. You indicate you will have lower income how will the car impact your debt to income level after you retire?

Old 04-08-2017, 06:02 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
We bought our "retirement" car when our truck and sedan started acting up. Both were 10+ years old. So we were about 14 months early but we have no regrets. Honda CRV. Just adore it.

I had my full income and husband had retirement income. I did not want to finance a car after retirement as income is only 1/3 of wages until I get my SS anyway.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:03 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
We have purchased two cars and a second home in retirement,
however we had fixed income streams and had maintained a high credit scores...
Which raises the question of whether someone needs to finance these sorts of purchases...
or whether they able to choose to finance them -- as a cash management technique.

I take the position that if financing is needed then too much car (or house) is in the picture
and that these folks need to trim the sails a bit.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:10 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
My attitude is a bit different from others...

First, I never want to finance anything else for the rest of my life.

But second, I don't want to HAVE to but another car for the rest of my life. I just spent the last month getting my 29 year old convertible street ready again. After I get it to everyday dependable, I will start working on my truck that sprung a leak a month ago. After that, I MAY purchase a kit car and try to make it electric.

I know most people are not into working on cars, so I would just leave it at - purchase straight out.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Which raises the question of whether someone needs to finance these sorts of purchases...
or whether they able to choose to finance them -- as a cash management technique.

I take the position that if financing is needed then too much car (or house) is in the picture
and that these folks need to trim the sails a bit.
Why? Credit union interest rates were under 2 percent. Why on the mortgage? I got below market rates and could have paid cash multiple times? It is no different than my working years and didn't need to tie money up that could have and is invested. It is all in the numbers even if they need to finance. Some high income retirees need to finance because of their liquid asset level.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:19 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Why?
Why do I bring it up?
Because many people aren't in the position to choose that you are.
And the OP asked us to: Please don't hesitate to "weigh-in" about this

Even at low interest rates it's a continuing monthly debt obligation...
and one that too often will end up being for more car or more home
than is really appropriate relative to their overall net worth and financial condition.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Why do I bring it up?
Because many people aren't in the position to choose that you are.

Even at low interest rates it's a continuing monthly debt obligation...
and one that too often will end up being for more car or more home
than is really appropriate relative to their overall net worth and financial condition.
Agreed, now you are differentiating based on circumstances instead of never. Also there are couples that are pension/SS wealthy with little debt and without sizable liquid assets this can create the need to finance

Old 04-08-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
You answered your own question. When will u be the better credit risk? That will drive the interest rate you pay. We have purchased two cars and a second home in retirement, however we had fixed income streams and had maintained a high credit scores in retirement. You indicate you will have lower income how will the car impact your debt to income level after you retire?
... Thanks for your reply, TuborgP ... It's as I suspected ... Right now, our debt to income ratio is definitely lower; we own everything outright, except for the house. From what we know about what we'll be able to afford in retirement, buying a decent used car will impact our credit worthiness. That's something we need to consider.

I didn't believe I was very far-off the mark about "financing", and that's what I told my DW while we were looking at vehicles, today ...
Thanks for that bit of confirmation. As I kind-of said, neither of us has had car payments for quite a long time. For us, it's a big decision!

Thank You!

Old 04-08-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
We bought our "retirement" car when our truck and sedan started acting up. Both were 10+ years old. So we were about 14 months early but we have no regrets. Honda CRV. Just adore it.

I had my full income and husband had retirement income. I did not want to finance a car after retirement as income is only 1/3 of wages until I get my SS anyway.
... Your planning, and our planning appear to be similar. We want a "retirement" vehicle to travel in, since our older ones are well-past 100K miles, each, and kind-of uncomfortable on the road.
We don't want to finance a vehicle, but our credit union has some pretty-good rates, and we can get financing for 60-months on a used car. I don't think I got "60-months" when I bought my new Exploder, back in '98!

The more I look at advice from y'all on City-Data, the more comfortable I'm becoming with getting another vehicle financed before I retire ... which will be in a few, short months!

Thank You!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement