Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 10:44 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times

Advertisements

How do I figure out what I will need for retirement? Let us say my expenses are $2000 per month. How do I figure out what it will be 23.5 years from now? I would appreciate the details of how you arrived at your number. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 11:16 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
We are not numbers people so we sat down with the financial advisor at our bank who helped us determine what we'd need, and if we could retire now.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:56 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
List all the expense you currently have at their annual cost.
List items you do yourself but may not be able or want to do when you are retired. List current expense for these items.

Multiply the total by 25.

2,000 x 12 =24,000 x 25 = 600,000.

This is the 4% rule. Google SWR - safe with drawl rate to start learning about future retirement.

Note that I did this in todays dollars so I did not answer how to deal with inflation. I would go to the online brokerage sites - Schwab, Fidelity etc and use their retirement calculators to figure out what you need to save each year.

If you assume 3% inflation the 600,000 will be over 1,100,000.

Be sure to include state and local income taxes and the total cost of health insurance, not just your employee share.

Old 05-06-2017, 03:00 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
How do I figure out what I will need for retirement? Let us say my expenses are $2000 per month. How do I figure out what it will be 23.5 years from now? I would appreciate the details of how you arrived at your number. Thank you.
How you plan allocating is a big factor. You may need to save 2x what you need investing in just fixed income vs at least 35-40% equities .

A 4% safe withdrawal rate is based on at least that much in equities

Old 05-06-2017, 04:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
What are your spending habits now? How do you expect them to change?

Are you conservative, plan everything out?

Do you have a spontaneous tendency?

Use some inflation projections and plan it out. There are many 'retirement' calculators online.

At age 25, I thought $500k and a paid off house would be adequate to retire frugally. Didn't work out so well. By 50 I projected $1m and a paid off house. Each were possible, neither ideal.

Retire early, retire often..... you might get it right eventually.

Old 05-06-2017, 06:13 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
I am confused. The calculators do not make sense to me.

I wonder if Vanguard offers retirement planning assistance.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:18 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
Quote:
I am confused. The calculators do not make sense to me.

I wonder if Vanguard offers retirement planning assistance.
Vanguard does.

You might want to look for a financial planner and hire on an hourly basis to get you set up.

You might start another thread with questions on one of the planners and that might get you started.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:01 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
I've been on this forum for seven years and a couple things I've learned is we are all unique, our living standards are all different and what someone needs in New York City or San Francisco places Mobile, Alabama on a different planet.

In another year I will be retiring at age 70 and to answer your question I am not drawing social security yet. I will do whatever it takes to put off drawing benefits for another year. It is part of my plan.

I recently took out a mortgage, at age 68, for our final home; a two bath/three bed condo in a nicely kept gated community that appears to be limited to seniors but it is not. Just who lives there. Very nicely kept and that is one of the things that drew us to it.

Had to take out the mortgage because we purchased in south Georgia before the collapse and it never recovered.... we took a bath but that is the way life is sometimes. Now we moved 800 miles north to a more affluent area but that is the way it goes sometimes. Totally opposite what most retirees look for.

Oh, and the association takes care of all snow and ice removal. We also have an attached and heated two car garage but being retired without a job if I don't feel like going anywhere I won't.

The major draw is it's 6 miles from the grandchildren and we have a pool which I call a grandchildren magnet. Yep, you know where the 8 and 9 year old's will be in the summer.

Reasonably close to everything and the best hospital in the state is located just 8 miles away. Everything is close it will be a rare day for us to have to travel more than 20 miles for anything.

We have a total of about $45k in retirement savings. Yep, that's it. $45k.

The biggest reason I didn't save as much as I should have is I flew airplanes most of my life. For 20 years I betcha I spent $20k a year on an airplane.... and if I had to do it all over again I would do it exactly as I did because I did it my way. I have no regrets.

How much should I have in savings when I do retire next year? Personally I don't care... If for some reason I couldn't work tomorrow and if I had to I would spend every last cent of our savings to put off collecting social security benefits to age 70. If I had to I think I would have about $20k left but pfffftttt... I really don't care. Actually I would like to keep hold of the money but it doesn't matter to me that much.

But instead of savings I got lucky another way.... at age 70 I calculate my wife and will receive $5,014 in combined social security benefits plus two pensions and nearly all this is exempt from state and federal taxes. The big question here is how much would I have to have saved to take $5,014/month for the rest of our lives?

That is about what I take home in my full time job now.... when I retire I won't take no stinking pay cut.

What if we had a combined social security benefit of $2,600 how much would I have had to have saved to make my goal of $5,014 per month?

After taking all our fixed medical and insurance costs, which includes life insurance for me in the event of my death my wife will be able to pay off the mortgage, the mortgage, HOA fees, insurance, utilities, cell phones, internet, $150/month for pharmacy (it isn't that high now but who knows?) along with $150 monthly for gifts we will have $1,726 monthly left over for food, entertainment, hobbies, clothes, vacations and emergencies.

Unless something special happens I don't see is spending more than $1,000/month on food, entertainment, clothes and hobbies because we're not that type and I don't fly anymore. I figure this leaves us $726/month left over for savings and emergencies.

The condo association takes care of all maintenance on the outside... new roofs, etc is all of them. The only things I have to worry about is HVAC, water heater, washer, dryer and dish washer.

An airplane would cost me at least $1,500/month and my wife forbids it anymore. Not in the budget. Sob!

So asking the question how much you need is impossible to answer. If asked you how much I needed to retire what would your answer be?

Old 05-07-2017, 12:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Fidelity and Vanguard both have decent calculators, as well as personal retirement advisors, BUT.... YOU need to decide on your future / projected budget and they will tell you how THEIR products MIGHT get you there.

FMX.... If you want to expedite this... you need to have wealth building investments OUTSIDE the usual mutual funds. (traditional equity investments) There are many options, find what suits you, interests you, and you are good at.!

My J-O-B / wage income contributed about 1/2 my wealth accumulation.

A lot depends on YOU and spending / saving habits.

I supported a family, farm, and a disabled parent on a single earner hourly (night shift factory) income (and was able to retire for the 3rd time at age 49.) We are not, nor ever will be wealthy. 30 - 40 % OT earnings during 34 yrs of night shift helped a LOT! As did an income tax free state domicile and HIGHLY appreciating Real Estate values (+/-)

Healthcare is the USA wildcard. It truly is not sustainable or affordable, (nor ever will be at this rate)

Within 5 yrs of my age 49 retirement my HC premiums unexpectedly went from $300 / month to $1600 / month due to USA Gov intervention. That is tough to plan for. My Property taxes did similar, so I had to reallocate my retirement income resources (buy 2 more income properties) using my IRA's. Extra work, capital, and risk required... but I have potentially 50 yrs of retirement to fund, as well as a very HC needy sickly spouse to support.

Be prepared for CHANGE.

Stuff happens,

Be Flexible.

hint: Replace your current income with an inflation adjusted cashflow stream... and retire TOMORROW! I wish I would have done that at age 18 (entirely possible, then and even more so NOW)

Old 05-07-2017, 02:48 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
you can't predict what your expenses will be inflation wise nor do you care much when it comes to future planning unless you are close to retiring and know what current expenses look like .

even then , you will most likely back in to what you have and make it work rather than trying to guess what you think you will have to work with but don't.

heck , when i looked at my portfolio balance in 2000 , after 17 years of almost 14% cagr and guessed at what i would have when i retired the number was mind blowing .

but then the lost decade came and growth slowed to a crawl and if i woke up after 15 years and looked at the balance i would be like what the heck , that is it for 15 years growth ?

what you are really planning around is the hope it won't be any worse for you than it was for the worst retiree groups in history based on markets ,rates, inflation and the order of those gains and losses .

think of it as building a house in a storm area . here in nyc if i was building a home i would build that home to construction standards that could withstand a bit more than hurricane sandy .

that is one of the worst ever .

if it was more expensive to build that home i would have to just build a smaller home .

retirement planning is based on the worst case scenario's to date . those scenario's contain the worst conditions , including the worst inflation .

the group in 1965/1966 that retired saw inflation that was 2.50% -3.50% . who would have guessed in 3 years time it would have doubled and by 1974 it would be 11%. it was crushing to a retiree. but with inflation so low who ever expected a 4x increase coming . on top of that it took markets 27 years to hit new inflation adjusted highs and bonds got crushed . so they got both barrels between the eyes .

so modern retirement theory says if you can use about 35-60% equities , you stand at least a 90% chance of getting through these worst cases we already had drawing 4% inflation adjusted . .

no retiree group has seen anything worse than the 1965/1966 group in 50 years .

so the important factor is your allocation .

once you calculate the income you can draw safely , add in social security and any pension, rental income etc .

then develop a lifestyle around what you do have and can draw . like water our retirement lifestyle will seek its own level around what you have .

just work on growing as much as you can up to retirement .

once you are ready to retire , you can then test your expenses to see if they fit in budget . that is the reverse of what you are trying to do .

so here is how we would utilize this method .

hypothetically you would add up all your non discretionary spending . things like rent ,insurance , utilities ,etc , all the things that you must pay .

lets say it is 30k . what i would do is double that to include all your discretionary spending . things like food ,clothes ,vacations ,gifts ,travel ,etc .

so hypothetically you need about 60k for a safe budget where you actually have room to cut back if markets or unexpected large expenses or emergency's get you as eventually they will .

now we know we want about 60k income so we subtract out social security , pension ,rental income and any other source of income other than your savings .

lets say the income comes to 40k , so we need 20k from your portfolio .

taking 20k and multiplying it by 25x says you need 500k in savings to generate 20k safely providing that 500k is in at least 35-50% equities . if you are avoiding equities you can only draw about 2% inflation adjusted not 4% so now you need 1,000,000 saved to generate the same income .

how you allocate is key .

if you can't get the savings now and allocation to meet your spending needs you need to cut back , you may even need to relocate somewhere cheaper ,whether you want to or not .

so asking how much you need is like asking how long should a rope be ? it has no answer by itself .

you have to put all the pieces of the puzzle together in a good calculator like fidelity or firecalc and see how your portfolio stress tests against the worst case scenario's so far

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-07-2017 at 04:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement