Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 02:47 PM

588 posts, read 463,187 times

Advertisements

He's a retired doctor.

So end of life stuff is not unknown to him.

He took a job as a clerk where I shop and we got into a conversation...telephone number given.

Very intelligent, high command in the army due to his ability to use stealth in fire arms, wife died, couldn't have children so they artificially had three, 25 year marriage.

Wears a very small diamond stud in one ear. It actually works fashionista

like I said, he is a pistol

and yes I am interested

Can talk about anything. May not agree but he is not a two dimensional human.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 02:57 PM

6,594 posts, read 7,091,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Be a mature adult. Discuss this with him and see if he already has a plan for his healthcare and possible caretaking needs. If his answers aren't satisfactory to you, move on. Don't walk into a bad situation.
Bingo this is the right answer. Talk to him. Tell him of your concerns and discuss what is to be done. If he is attractive to you and he treats you right then you should not have that as a worry. Enjoy the company of a loving relationship.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:04 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
For now, just have fun and wait and see how things go.

If the day comes when all this needs to be discussed, do it! One of the great things about being old is being able to discuss a tough topic without falling apart!

Old 05-30-2017, 03:14 PM

588 posts, read 463,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
For now, just have fun and wait and see how things go.

If the day comes when all this needs to be discussed, do it! One of the great things about being old is being able to discuss a tough topic without falling apart!
How amazingly right.

Yes, we do not fall apart anymore...where would we fall apart to? We are the ones that the young cling too so they don't fall apart.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:15 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times
Does he have grown children? Do you? This is one good reason for not getting involved in a marriage. It is also a good out for you if either of you needs end of life care. The proper person to do this is the family. I had a cousin whose husband died; years later she met a widower and they embarked on a great relationship, each kept their own house but meals were always shared, also TV watching at night - but then each went home to his own house (I think!) They took trips together and met each other's kids. When he got ill and needed care, she called his daughter and told her that her dad needed her, and that she needed to come and make some arrangements. There never was any feeling that one of them was obligated to take care of the other one - it was the kids' responsibility.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:33 PM

622 posts, read 396,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Be a mature adult. Discuss this with him and see if he already has a plan for his healthcare and possible caretaking needs. If his answers aren't satisfactory to you, move on. Don't walk into a bad situation.
This! I'm only 37 but have been a caretaker to several individuals already. The last one was particularly demanding and exhausting so I understand why a person would not want to do it. No one knows when a person will need care but the older you are the more likely it is to happen. It makes perfect sense then for the two of you to discuss caretaker responsibilities so you both know where your responsibility to each other begins and ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Do not get married or move in together and do not be any part of his will, executor, etc. let him designate his family to do all of that.
That gives you both freedom from the other's financial obligations/issues, legal obligations/issues, etc.
Enjoy the time you have together.
This too! It's no one's business where you sleep or with whom. In all other respects, maintain your own lives. You don't need or want to deal with children worrying about a new love interest taking their inheritance, particularly if they are going to be the caretaker one day.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:39 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Everyday is a gift. You don't need to get married or move in together. I have friends who became seriously ill at 60 and others who are in their 80's. Enjoy the companionship and yet keep your independence.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:49 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I think it depends on what you two want from a relationship. You are clear that you have no desire to marry. So, I don't know why you would feel you might become a caregiver. If you guys really like each other, I think you should let the relationship happen or not happen, as it would if you were not your actual ages.

If the relationship starts to become serious, then you two need to communicate your feelings then.

There is not a relationship on this earth that cannot be suddenly separated by death. If you have feelings for someone, you always stand the chance of being separated, even if the chance is slight. The alternative, not to allow yourself to develop feelings for someone, is to remain alone. Is that what you want? You will have to make the choice.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:24 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
My Answer...by Dan Flanders

He is most likely looking for a "caretaker." That is what most 70-ish year old, unattached men look for. Most men that age are past the "romance" stuff (about 80% at age 70). Your age is promising because 8 - 9 years younger, he assumes you'd probably outlive him - and be able to handle his end of life issues. At his age, there's a greater than 50:50 chance he's doesn't want to be pestered for sex.

The real issue here is what you have planned for him. If you're looking for a sex life, I'd shoot for younger stuff....< 60. If you just want companionship (Platonic, mostly) then check him out. That will take some time. You indicate you don't need his money. That should make things simpler. Just hangout with him for a while longer and see what happens. You obviously haven't made your mind up yet. Hope my comment helps.
Good grief!!

Why do you think those little blue pills were invented? Because men didn't want to be pestered for sex?? You are kidding, right??

Old 05-30-2017, 04:44 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
I said 80%, it's proven, and that's it.
Source?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement