Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 07:31 AM

708 posts, read 721,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpike View Post
I'm 64 and even though the math says I can make it financially well past 100, I'm working until my 66th birthday. How do you get past the work ethic guilt? I can retire, but just not capable of pulling the switch before the magic SS date.
I am doing the same thing. Just seems to be the right thing to do as my wife and I will be both on Medicare and we can maximize our SS checks vs. retiring now. We try to take many trips as possible so id doesn't seem so long until retirement. I do catch myself counting the months (17).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 07:53 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
I retired at 51 and have NO guilt. I worked hard, fulltime since age 16, and made sure to stay with a secure employer that paid a pension. We found a way we could afford it, so we retired. My co-worker who frequently dogged me about retiring early kept telling me (a fact I knew very well) how much better my pension would be if I waited a few more years like she was doing. She planned to retire at 62. Her hubby had a heart attack when she was 58, and she immediately retired. Roll with your own life. Don't worry about what others want you to do. Was it worth it? For me, it saved my mental health. If you're happy at work, stay if you want.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:29 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,350,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
Fify!

Is that like "covfefe"?

Old 06-03-2017, 08:34 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,098,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I retired at 51 and have NO guilt. I worked hard, fulltime since age 16, and made sure to stay with a secure employer that paid a pension. We found a way we could afford it, so we retired. My co-worker who frequently dogged me about retiring early kept telling me (a fact I knew very well) how much better my pension would be if I waited a few more years like she was doing. She planned to retire at 62. Her hubby had a heart attack when she was 58, and she immediately retired. Roll with your own life. Don't worry about what others want you to do. Was it worth it? For me, it saved my mental health. If you're happy at work, stay if you want.
Correct, too many times we look only at the financial part of the equation and certainly the longer you work the more money and better financials you will be, but we should also think of how we are physically and emotionally. That larger bag of money won't do you any good if you can't enjoy it because of health or a short life span in retirement.

So you need to find your own sweet spot, that would be different for everyone that balances the financials pros/ cons vs your health, life span etc.

For me I know staying until 65+ will leave me financially better than retiring at 62. But for health and peace of mind 62 is the goal and I would be financially fine so 62 is the date. But that could change if I get to that age and I think I can make one more year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement