Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2017, 08:05 AM

107,307 posts, read 109,675,104 times

Advertisements

i always liked my bmw's but to many tickets . without speed there was not much to enjoy . so the jeep at least provided lots of utility for us in the snow and hunting and fishing . but it is time to move on .

just waiting to hear the 2018's are out .

this year the budget goes for a new car and 5 digits in dental work for my wife . next year we may buy a co-op apartment if our teeth hold up . last year was another 13k for here in dental .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 10:04 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,928,061 times
The biggest problem with vehicles I have is deciding which one to drive. The Tesla, Mercedes or the Rolls Royce.

I am also considering buying a small island this year.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:30 AM

888 posts, read 893,135 times
I'm a vehicle value seeker and an auto frugalist rolled into one. I've discovered the value of buying an elderly deceased person's vehicle. Current one, Honda Accord, was acquired from a deceased client's estate. Had another opportunity to buy a high end Lincoln Town Car from a deceased colleague but passed. My goal is to keep by cars for 300,000 but only one made it, a 1988 Volvo 240 DL, wish I still had that car today. Last one made it to 250,000 until son wrecked it in an accident.

Seems like this topic has gone astray so let me tie in my post to the topic by saying that the income I'll be living on when retired will be less due to my vehicle value seeking/auto frugalist mindset.

Old 06-03-2017, 12:49 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,086,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
I'm a vehicle value seeker and an auto frugalist rolled into one. I've discovered the value of buying an elderly deceased person's vehicle.
LOL, that brought back some funny memories of the car my late husband was driving when we met. In 1984 when we met he was driving a 1970 Chevy Nova that was formerly owned by a deceased nun who was a friend of his mother. That car had no power steering, no AC, a steering wheel almost the size of a hula hoop, ran like a tank, and in the glove compartment was a vial of holy water put there by Sister Motor Head for good luck. It was a good thing that I was not the kind of woman that judged a man by his car because we would have never made it down the aisle.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:23 PM

812 posts, read 800,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte74 View Post
With a paid-off house and car and no other debts of any kind (I do pay roughly $1000/mo. for health insurance), what I actually "live on" in my extremely cheap little town is around $40K including income taxes. I think when I prepared my anal retentive budget before I retired five years ago, it figured out to $42K.
That is pretty good! Is the $1000/mo. for health insurance in addition to the 40,000?

We (DH and I) are not retired yet, but I am hoping to try and manage on about 28000, not including health ins. That stupid health ins. is the big problem now. Who knows what coverage will look like next year or the year after that?!

Old 06-03-2017, 02:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,847 posts, read 58,440,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
most high end cars are bought by those in their 70's .
I do know many age 70+ who have very nice rides. One of my age 70+ friends just took delivery of his 3rd GT40 Ford GT 2017: Ford's Faster Production Car Ever Hits 216 MPH | Fortune.com But price is climbing... ~$400,000 for this one.

and while I get chided severely for breaking all of the many C-D 'retirement rules' for my 41 yo daily driver....(C-D retirement rule #76118)

Our hosts today in No CA NEWEST car is a 1965 Beauty Beetle. (They have 6 cars and 8 MC (some with side cars). They have never paid more than $500 for a car (I have broken that rule a couple times)

Prop 13, + Tricare, so this retirement couple is able to live on 5 acres / 6 bdrm home for $2,000 / month in Napa Valley
Very nice fresh 'edible landscape' for breakfast, omelet from free range chickens ...

Old 06-03-2017, 04:46 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,510,658 times
We are retired in late 60s. Our SSA income is around $3000 a month as I was a SAHM. Our other income is a parking lot/Campground we have on our acreage which brings in around $8,000 a year more or less. No pensions, some IRAs.

House is paid for, one truck is, other is not and is $400 a month. We just bought a tractor so owe the same on that. House/vehicle insurance is $300 a month. Medical is Medicare plus another $160 for supplemental. Property taxes are $2600 a year because we have an ag exemption due to nursery. They will probably escalate due to insane housing costs here. We heat with wood we cut on our property, no AC in PNW. We have a well and septic and have once a month garbage pick up.

We grow our fruits and veggies, buy clothing at Value Village, don't smoke, drink, dine out, gamble, do drugs. Our food budget is about $300 to $500 a month but we buy organic and the good stuff. I grew up poor and remember the endless tuna noodle casseroles.

I think we live a good life. I would like to have a larger income but we do well with what we have. I can see medical costs increasing as we age. That is the scary part. Our house is worth way more money that what we paid so that will be our cushion when we can no longer work our farm.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:23 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,670,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
That's not a little example.

It's the perfect example of why universal government healthcare will never succeed.

While Governor Moonbeam is on TV grandstanding about the Paris Agreement, and how Americans are "going to die" now.....he's got a whole county of people with rotten/missing teeth with no access.

Please explain why the STATE GOVERNMENT cannot shift resources AWAY from the more economically advantaged county to the poorer one. If these Liberals care SO MUCH about "the children". LOL yeah, right.

Also an example of the fallacy that if you offer free government healthcare, people will use it. Take a guess how many people on this thread floss. LOL
I don't know if it could ever be fixed, because even if the state put great clinics in every county in the state - you'd still have to staff those clinics. And some areas will just never be as desirable as others.

Del Norte County, for instance, just can't keep good doctors or nurses, etc., because what happens is recent grads go there simply because a job is available, or because they get some of their student loans forgiven for working in a poor county. Once they have their resume in good order, and/or they've done their time so their loans are forgiven, they are outta there.

You'd also have to completely do away with any local taxes for schools, roads, emergency services. Basically, you're talking about completely abolishing any city or county governments, and replace them with one single state government. At any rate, I don't see it as being feasible in the real world.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:26 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,670,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
We are retired in late 60s. Our SSA income is around $3000 a month as I was a SAHM. Our other income is a parking lot/Campground we have on our acreage which brings in around $8,000 a year more or less. No pensions, some IRAs.

House is paid for, one truck is, other is not and is $400 a month. We just bought a tractor so owe the same on that. House/vehicle insurance is $300 a month. Medical is Medicare plus another $160 for supplemental. Property taxes are $2600 a year because we have an ag exemption due to nursery. They will probably escalate due to insane housing costs here. We heat with wood we cut on our property, no AC in PNW. We have a well and septic and have once a month garbage pick up.

We grow our fruits and veggies, buy clothing at Value Village, don't smoke, drink, dine out, gamble, do drugs. Our food budget is about $300 to $500 a month but we buy organic and the good stuff. I grew up poor and remember the endless tuna noodle casseroles.

I think we live a good life. I would like to have a larger income but we do well with what we have. I can see medical costs increasing as we age. That is the scary part. Our house is worth way more money that what we paid so that will be our cushion when we can no longer work our farm.
Sounds nice, but dang isn't your insurance high for house and auto?

Old 06-04-2017, 04:45 PM

18 posts, read 43,942 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
OK, you made me spit out my vodka, uh I meant tea, laughing over that one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement