Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 07:35 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times

Advertisements

You're getting a divorce. Why on earth aren't you asking your divorce attorney these questions? Free internet advice is worth what you paid for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 02:50 AM

106,680 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
It's very clear now why my generation will never see a dime from the Social Security we'll have paid into our entire working lives.
we want to thank you for your money too ! keep working we depend on you lol .

Old 06-11-2017, 02:52 AM

106,680 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
Thanks for the correction. I think I confused collecting at 62 as a reduced benefit (my plan) with all SS collections - fuzzy thinking on my part.

Not to hijack the thread (but I am going to do it anyway), I plan to collect at 62 and use the proceeds to pay off my mortgage before I hit 66.5 (my FRA). The strategy is oriented toward cost avoidance/ reduced expenses vs. increased SS draw and other income streams. I have an inflation adjusted pension that we live quite comfortably on. The wife collects 55% of the pension if I predecease her - so far so good. So if I collect SS at 62, then suspend SS payments after the house is paid off, and then restart payments at 70, if I read some of the previous posts correctly, my SS payment would increase by 8% each year from 66.5 to 70. Am I reading and understanding that correctly? If so, that may be by far my best strategy to ensure my wife is never out of money if I pass first.
yes , you can stop and freeze your ss any time after your fra

Old 06-11-2017, 07:57 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,519,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
All these multiple ex-spouses getting a SSB may have something to do with all the doom and gloom of the program.
Well it sure doesn't help!

I believe everyone should be covered for health care. I have liberal ideas while not being one.

Ok I'll change my mind and say yes the current one should be covered. However I will stick by that it should be one, not several. Again the spouse paid in for ONE.

Chances are if its been long enough the first wife is remarried or got a job of her own. She can't not work not remarried. Or if ill she's probably on medicaid/medicare.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:16 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
All these multiple ex-spouses getting a SSB may have something to do with all the doom and gloom of the program.
So the answer is to penalize 2nd wives (actually spouses, second husbands can also collect on their wive's if the dollars work out for them)? Or when someone remarries they get extra taken out of their check if they want the second spouse to get anything? Or the first spouse's calculated amount stops at that year's earning level? What's the plan?

Old 06-11-2017, 10:46 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So the answer is to penalize 2nd wives (actually spouses, second husbands can also collect on their wive's if the dollars work out for them)? Or when someone remarries they get extra taken out of their check if they want the second spouse to get anything? Or the first spouse's calculated amount stops at that year's earning level? What's the plan?
Interesting question to think about. Presumably the second wife had some sort of income before she became a second wife. Whether she had a first husband or a job of her own there must have been some means of support before she married and became Mrs Two. Unless some old geezers are picking up their second wives fresh out of school?!

Old 06-11-2017, 10:07 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
yes , you can stop and freeze your ss any time after your fra
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement