Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 08:29 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZHAKI View Post
I grew up in New Orleans, LA and in Missoula, MT. Went to college at UCSB, California and stayed in Ojai/Ventura CA for 31 years. Left for Coeur d'Alene right after divorce. Tried Utah as well. Nothing fit quite right. I decided to try something completely different (and warm again!) and bought a condo at Lake Lure, NC near Asheville. Its beautiful with the Blue Ridge mountains. Nice weather, not as humid as central or coastal NC regions although it takes a lot of rain to stay this green. No hurricanes yet that I've experienced so close to mountains. However, the south has been a bit of a culture shock for me. I prefer the west coast because its what I am used to so I will be heading back and exploring Washington State. After 8 years gone, I realize I miss California. While you get more for your money in NC, in many ways California is worth it for its weather, food, entertainment, beaches, and variety of opportunities. And once you leave it is very difficult financially to return. Maybe you should consider a different region in California. I know how it is--you can't wait to brush the dust of California off your boots, but you may regret it. I don't know what area is best for your criteria, but I do know the grass is definitely not always greener. Hope you enjoy the research and exploring.
For myself, CA is beautiful and always will be. It has a lot to offer if you can afford it and put up with the politics. I can't do either any more. When I retire I'm done with CA. A lot of people don't realize how much it's changed but those of us that grew up here many years ago know. For some it's good, for many it's not. Sure I'll miss CA but I already miss it because CA isn't what it once was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 08:30 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsc3zny View Post
I know its very hot but we are considering Lake Havasu ... Must be very tax friendly also
We spent a few days in Lake Havasu City during the Christmas vacation. I think we were trying to see if we'd like living there.

LHC is geared towards retirees, spring breakers and tourists. All you have to do is drive up and down a few major streets and you will see signs for every medical specialty you've ever imagined. I don't doubt that the care there is very good. And there are plenty of pubs.

We drove through a few neighborhoods. I was troubled by two things: little-to-no landscaping...many front yards were bare dirt and they weren't new houses. Plus, the vast majority of houses were all the same dull shade of dark tan/brown. I think many of them must be vacation homes and the owners are out boating instead of working in their yards.

Everyone we met was obliging and friendly. The owner of Rebel BBQ gave us some free samples of some meat he'd just smoked. I'm still not sure what it was but DH said it was good.

RV garages attached to homes are not uncommon in LHC. Here's one currently for sale:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal.../67810047_zpid

Old 07-14-2017, 08:44 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZHAKI View Post
I prefer the west coast because its what I am used to so I will be heading back and exploring Washington State. After 8 years gone, I realize I miss California. While you get more for your money in NC, in many ways California is worth it for its weather, food, entertainment, beaches, and variety of opportunities. And once you leave it is very difficult financially to return. Maybe you should consider a different region in California. I know how it is--you can't wait to brush the dust of California off your boots, but you may regret it. I don't know what area is best for your criteria, but I do know the grass is definitely not always greener.
I won't regret it. I won't miss the pervasive culture of political correctness nor will I miss the high prices of everything.

DH and I went to a Palo Alto Chinese restaurant -- not one that is considered expensive -- and spent $70 on not very much food at all, including tax and tip. Later that evening I sat down with a menu from a Scottsdale Chinese restaurant and priced the exact same meal out at $47, including tax and tip.

In one day we paid a $23 "tax" for eating out in California. It is just not worth it to me. It's not like we had an ocean view.

The way I look at it it's not very difficult at all to return. I can visit whichever part of the state I please, such as San Diego. It's only five to six hours from Phoenix. Then when I depart, I leave the insanity behind.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:26 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
For us, we knew that we definitely did not want to stay in Florida. Wanted:

1) Four seasons, with none too long and harsh.
2) Friendly people
3) No flat land; at least some roll to it
4) Reasonable cost of living
5) Good medical care available
6) Small town feel but with plenty of the day to day living requirements nearby
7) Prefer a university/college in the area

Once we narrowed it down to a few states, I pulled up a list of the colleges/universities in each state and one by one looked at where it was located. Got it narrowed down to under ten and started visiting them. That knocked some more off of the list and then we got serious. Visited Cookeville several times and every time came away liking it even more.

Been here almost four months and for us it was a great choice. It basically checked all the boxes for us. By the way, we still have not seen any sign of that horrible crime rate that some people seem to worry about whenever Tennessee is mentioned.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:12 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
For us, we knew that we definitely did not want to stay in Florida. Wanted:

1) Four seasons, with none too long and harsh.
2) Friendly people
3) No flat land; at least some roll to it
4) Reasonable cost of living
5) Good medical care available
6) Small town feel but with plenty of the day to day living requirements nearby
7) Prefer a university/college in the area

Once we narrowed it down to a few states, I pulled up a list of the colleges/universities in each state and one by one looked at where it was located. Got it narrowed down to under ten and started visiting them. That knocked some more off of the list and then we got serious. Visited Cookeville several times and every time came away liking it even more.

Been here almost four months and for us it was a great choice. It basically checked all the boxes for us. By the way, we still have not seen any sign of that horrible crime rate that some people seem to worry about whenever Tennessee is mentioned.
Great choice !

Cookeville TN was very high on my final list.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:39 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
It's subjective...what do you like? I fell in love with NM at age ten. So basically that was my measuring stick...how did things compare. Most didn't measure up. We looked at a few spots in Colorado and even Wyoming. The mild 4 season climate in NM was a big plus. Living close to an ocean means nothing to me. Low COL was important. I like the diversity and mixed culture. The scenery is matchless and outdoor opportunities are plentiful.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:28 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Anyone else have this problem? Retiring 1/2019, have to leave CA. Looking for mild seasons all around, but not freezing and not boiling. Near water for boating. 3/2 house with pool, less 250k house. Just a fun question, nothing more. How did you decide where to retire?
Haven't decided to retire yet.....though at least 2 major people in my life have asked that question to my aghast........but have decided that the ranch will be my last move.

Long story short, I want to be someplace where I can do the studies I have thought of during the years. In town, that wouldn't work, so it has come down to being out in the country with lots of land. When I see it as, instead, a house in the city, I see my dreams dying and me becoming an endless couch potato. Either I go to work, day after day, dreaming of what I want to do or I live there, day to day, dreaming of what I want to do.

I grew up in places like Texas, Clark AFB, and Dhahran.....so I am use to warm places. Sweat is sexy, doncha know? If Texas does get cold, then it helps being a dancer, there is a secondary use for legwarmers.

Other than that, there is having my Fortress of Solitude that I can retreat to, live life as my own, be a Kara. I may live something of a fantasy life, but I live it in an area in which I can.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:03 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
A couple people touched on this but I can't stress it enough -- the cultural aspect of an area. As in the person who said moving to the South was a real culture shock. Moving from the East coast to the West coast can be a total culture shock, and vice versa. Moving anywhere far from what you're "used to" can be traumatic. You may not feel you fit in, especially if you've brought your old attitudes and expect the new place to be the same. So in your research, be sure to check that out.

My retirement place was chosen by my Mom when she bought this condo in 1997. When she died in 2012, I inherited it and it was paid-for. No-brainer.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:12 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
I looked in Asheville, prices are climbing. Nice mild climate year round. I've almost bought one last year. Problems with the well. I'm making sure I have city water now. Haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.

Old 07-15-2017, 04:07 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Anyone else have this problem? Retiring 1/2019, have to leave CA. Looking for mild seasons all around, but not freezing and not boiling. Near water for boating. 3/2 house with pool, less 250k house. Just a fun question, nothing more. How did you decide where to retire?
I'm retiring in 7 weeks. We have kids in Tri cities and Seattle, Wa so that's critical in our decision process. We looked at Chelan Wa, Tacoma, and Tri Cities and decided on Tri Cities. We also have a winter house in Arizona so we are planning to winter in Arizona.

For your query and desire, I think it's going to be touch to meet everything on your list, maybe higher elevation Arizona but then hard to meet that price point with a pool.

I know you want to leave Cali but what about Redding....4 seasons, gorgeous area, inexpensive, rivers and lakes, mountains. We aren't crazy about Cali politics but Redding we find intriguing and still within a long day's drive to our kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement