Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 07:49 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyDee View Post
I won't need long term insurance for decades but I like to plan ahead. Thank you to the people who gave useful responses.
If you don't purchase it before age 50 it is too expensive for most folks. I purchased a John Hancock plan that covers 3 Years but now wish I had purchased a plan that covers 5 years. Both my dad and several aunts and uncles have been completely dependent on round the clock skilled care for 4 years or longer and their savings are running out. No matter how well you save, after 30 years in retirement, skilled nursing care will eat up your savings fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 07:58 AM

106,583 posts, read 108,739,314 times
i waited 2 years extra and now i pay 1k more because of the way recent blood tests came back showing diabetic even though i no longer am with diet and exercise.

they have access to years worth of your blood tests . i was quite surprised to learn all my data is right on file in medical data banks , like credit reporting is .

Old 10-15-2017, 08:17 AM

216 posts, read 163,115 times
Quote:
not exactly what you are saying .

as an example , you are losing the return on that money that could be used to buy a regular full feature ltc policy instead of a hybrid with limited benefits
No one buys these policies for the potential return, nobody .

Quote:
we could have plunked down a large lump sum of money in a hybrid and got little return and a 1/2 baked ltc plan .
Quote:
instead we took the same amount , invested it as we do all our money and with just a piece of the higher gains we pay our premium for a partnership plan loaded with perks and far better coverage and still have quite a bit left over .
Most folks are using money that is not being invested aggressively, partnership plans are irrelevant with most clients using this plan, your plan's premiums are not guaranteed and you don't have lifetime coverage, how is that far better coverage?

You could get a lifetime LTC benefit, the LTC benefit is 1/2 baked, it is guaranteed.

Quote:
so great the hybrids don't raise your premium . they don't have to . they keep the gains on your money you are not getting instead . it is a lot of money to plunk down and quite expensive in opportunity costs , and likely a lot of gains to give up on that money for what you get in such limited benefits.
The non guarnteed gains on the policy are totally irrelevant. What are the limited benefits? I see the ones on your policy.

Quote:
it is like spending 100 bucks to win a 10 buck prize and saying it does not matter because you wanted the prize .
You really don't understand these plans.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:21 AM

236 posts, read 159,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
If you don't purchase it before age 50 it is too expensive for most folks. I purchased a John Hancock plan that covers 3 Years but now wish I had purchased a plan that covers 5 years. Both my dad and several aunts and uncles have been completely dependent on round the clock skilled care for 4 years or longer and their savings are running out. No matter how well you save, after 30 years in retirement, skilled nursing care will eat up your savings fast.

The way LTCi policies are priced now, it usually does NOT make sense for someone under the age of 50 to buy long-term care insurance. The only reason for buying it under age 50 is if you're concerned about insurability.

Numbers-wise, the best ages to buy LTCi is between 55 and 69.

You won't read that anywhere.

This is based on my experience. All I do, ALL DAY LONG, is run LTCi quotes for consumers in all 50 states.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
Like I learned while studying insurance broker test which I passed insurance is only good for the consumer when it does one thing, insure. Getting a product that covers more than one thing never works in the favor of the consumer. Even bundling at a single insurance company your products might not be the best deal either. It might in the beginning but once you become like a warm comfortable pair of shoes to the company then they think they own you and before long your costs for the same product goes up dramatically in spite of your long association with them.
well said.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintail07 View Post
How can they become more expensive when rates and benefits are GUARANTEED? Impossible.
Opportunity cost.

Anyone who can earn 3% on their money should NEVER buy a single-premium hybrid policy.
You'll get MUCH better LTCi benefits for less than the 3% you'd earn on the single-premium.

Here's a link to someone who thinks you should NEVER* combined long-term care insurance with life insurance.

https://www.ltcshop.com/2017/10/14/n...urance-part-1/

Old 10-15-2017, 08:26 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,084,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCShop View Post
The way LTCi policies are priced now, it usually does NOT make sense for someone under the age of 50 to buy long-term care insurance. The only reason for buying it under age 50 is if you're concerned about insurability.

Numbers-wise, the best ages to buy LTCi is between 55 and 69.

You won't read that anywhere.

This is based on my experience. All I do, ALL DAY LONG, is run LTCi quotes for consumers in all 50 states.
This I completely agree with. If you are going to buy LTCi do it between those ages. As I have said all along LTCi has its uses and people need to weigh it in their financial circumstances. But it doesn't make sense prior to age 50 unless you know or suspect something that will prevent you from qualifying for LTCi in the future.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:31 AM

no one ever really knows what may happen . i never thought in 2 years time i would jump from normal to diabetic .

there really is nothing to be saved waiting . there is a target range where odds start to get pretty high of needing care . by the time you reach that sweet spot the policies price so off in the future you will pay in about 1 years worth of premiums in a snf at that time . younger just means less in each premium .

they will adjust it along the way .

Old 10-15-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintail07 View Post
No one buys these policies for the potential return, nobody .

Most folks are using money that is not being invested aggressively, partnership plans are irrelevant with most clients using this plan, your plan's premiums are not guaranteed and you don't have lifetime coverage, how is that far better coverage?

You could get a lifetime LTC benefit, the LTC benefit is 1/2 baked, it is guaranteed. in fact i will do my best to make sure they understand just how poor a value they are .

The non guarnteed gains on the policy are totally irrelevant. What are the limited benefits? I see the ones on your policy.

You really don't understand these plans.
i understand them all to well . they should be plans of last resort and for the most part are very poor value for what you have to plunk down . you like them , buy it . but you will never see me recommend them to anyone who can get some real ltc coverage . in fact i will make sure i convey as best as i can how poor a value and how half baked these hybrids as ltc plans can be .

Old 10-15-2017, 09:29 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
This I completely agree with. If you are going to buy LTCi do it between those ages. As I have said all along LTCi has its uses and people need to weigh it in their financial circumstances. But it doesn't make sense prior to age 50 unless you know or suspect something that will prevent you from qualifying for LTCi in the future.
What is available and the terms available at age 49 might not be available in five years as plans evolve. Our plan is a perfect example. Yes purchased in our mid 50's ish a 49 year old in our employment would have been better served to have purchased then and locked in what is now not available and certainly not at our price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement