Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2017, 06:12 PM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Ironically, you actually have this completely backwards. Study after study has shown that people in high-tax states are subsidizing the people in low-tax states. It is the residents of low-tax states that receive a disproportionately larger share of federal benefits than their counterparts in high-tax states. For every dollar that residents in most low-tax states pay in federal income tax, the state receives in excess of one dollar in benefits. It is the opposite for residents of most high-tax states.
Well, those are only facts, and you cannot go real far by simply stating facts. For that you have to watch Fox News to Know the Real Truth, which is made up just for the Red States, who are so special.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:36 PM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Well, those are only facts, and you cannot go real far by simply stating facts. For that you have to watch Fox News to Know the Real Truth, which is made up just for the Red States, who are so special.
Actually they are alternative facts that in fact or not factual. As it pertains to federal taxes, yes the low taxed states are subsidizing the high tax states as I correctly stated....the facts are what they are no matter how you try to spin them.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:40 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Actually they are alternative facts that in fact or not factual. As it pertains to federal taxes, yes the low taxed states are subsidizing the high tax states as I correctly stated....the facts are what they are no matter how you try to spin them.
Baloney. The poverty-stricken red states have always been supported by the much higher income blue states.

If you dispute this, please provide statistical data supporting your position - something that you believe is not alternative factual data.

Old 10-01-2017, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Baloney. The poverty-stricken red states have always been supported by the much higher income blue states.

If you dispute this, please provide statistical data supporting your position - something that you believe is not alternative factual data.
Residents in high tax states deduct their high state taxes from their federal taxes forcing us in lower taxed states to pay a higher effective rate....this is indisputable and if you can't understand and acknowledge this, then you are either an idiot or liar or both.

In my blue state, we pay no state income tax and lower property tax than your now red state, therefore, you are getting a huge deduction on FIT that I do not get so I will pay a higher federal tax at the same income as someone in Wisconsin with the same income...ie, I am subsidizing your huge state tax....you are making generalized red and blue state arguments that are not consistent or relevant to this tax question.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:24 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
keeping more of ones income they worked for via deductions of any type is not taking money away from others .

how about you have more kids than others ? you own and deduct real estate taxes , someone else rents . once you get in to who is keeping more income via deductions it never ends .

in your example the real winner is those who can't itemize . they may get money back they never spend on deductible items . a couple may have 5 or 6k in deductions in a low tax state .they may see thousands come back without actually spending much money on those deductible items they got credit for . that person in a high tax state actually may have spent those deductible dollars , while the person in the low tax state didn't ,so they may fly the empty seats . .

sorry ,got to disagree with your concept .

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-01-2017 at 06:45 AM..

Old 10-01-2017, 06:15 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Here are the facts unspun.
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/

https://taxfoundation.org/states-rely-most-federal-aid/

Old 10-01-2017, 06:24 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

So very true. I have posted several links. Reality is that high income states logically pay more in federal taxes per capita and states with a greater transfer payment need per capita receive more. Does someone really believe the Deep South is subsidizing the North East and Mid Atlantic states? Kansas, Missouri and Oklaholma carrying Massachusetts on their back?

Old 10-01-2017, 07:02 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I would love to see the math that accounts for anyone on welfare getting 30-40,000 a year.
If you count Medicaid, CHIP kid Medicaid, food stamps, Section 8 housing, and all the rest, it's pretty easy to get to $30K to $40K. That's not cash to spend but it's money the rest of us have to spend for health insurance, food, housing, transportation, etc. In ACA opt-in states, the income level where you lose Medicaid/CHIP coverage is a heck of a lot higher so it's less of a disincentive to take a job. Our lack of universal health care really distorts the labor market for the bottom 40%.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:07 AM

It's hotter in Phoenix than it is in Minneapolis....yours post has as much to do with how to calculate federal tax as my post about temperature.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
So very true. I have posted several links. Reality is that high income states logically pay more in federal taxes per capita and states with a greater transfer payment need per capita receive more. Does someone really believe the Deep South is subsidizing the North East and Mid Atlantic states? Kansas, Missouri and Oklaholma carrying Massachusetts on their back?
Not relevant to the effect on Trump Tax Plan on retirees....you are talking a different subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement