Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 12:07 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times

Advertisements

That I ate like a fieldhand and never gained weight. Friends actually said that--I hate you! Of course, I know they were kidding. Maybe not.

In which case, they'd probably still hate me because, even today, I hear that from others.

Lol the struggle is real!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 12:09 PM

10,905 posts, read 7,393,957 times
I don't think I was hated, but I wasn't included because I didn't know I was supposed to conform to what everybody else was doing.

I still do my own thing. works for me.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:49 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
What did people hate about you when you were younger? Something you heard about from nearly everyone, friends and family, strangers, that they just couldn't stand you did or acted like? And has it changed now in your older years?
People don't normally tell other people what they hate about them, do they? And "hate" is a strong word.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:14 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I don't think I was hated, but I wasn't included because I didn't know I was supposed to conform to what everybody else was doing.

I still do my own thing. works for me.
I'd rather live life on my own terms. Trying to fit in with cliques has made a lot of people miserable.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:57 PM

19,808 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Unfortunately no one has ever liked a Pollyanna purebred.
Well, I certainly would have liked knowing a few MORE like me when I was a girl, and I probably would have liked all of them --as long as they did not constantly push their "too-good-to-be-trueness" into my face! (Btw, I mostly tried to hide my "niceness" around other kids. My parents instilled respect and good manners into us, and most of my schoolmates in our working-class community seemed to view kids who were polite as being "stuck up".)

However, I was not the only "Pollyanna" goody-two-shoes in my middle school (the worst time for bullying, I think), but the other "Pollyanna" came from an ultra-religious family, and so we did not associate. However, I did have one friend who was another "outcast". Although she was very nice and intelligent, she was "shunned" for being very overweight. We were quite a pair because although I was thin, I also had Coke bottle glasses and crooked teeth before I got contacts and braces.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:40 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
I was just too darn good looking.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:31 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Well, on one hand I was very involved in volunteering and helping others as I grew up. I also had several circles of friends and worked hard to juggle them all. I was never the best looking, most athletic, wealthiest, etc. So I made the best with what I had, including my humor and sarcastic opinion of things.

By my own admission, I did like to have things go "my way" and I did turn 'quick tempered' at times if they didn't. Immaturity, I guess. My friends never called me out on it and I never realized it was an unbecoming trait that I had in other peoples eyes. (I would say I was OK about 99% of the time. I just had some "moments". None were ever grandstanding; I would become more of a sulker.)

Anyway, it was brought to my attention one night on a camping trip to a Nascar race in the 70's. Two of my best friends and mentors were talking and I happened to overhear that I was a good guy, but I "could be an A--hole at times".

Well, that kind of created an opportunity for introspection and I found there was room improve myself. It took time, but I think I did ok over the years since.
You were a good mix of volunteering / helping others and being a frequent member of the 2:45 club. It's admirable to be able to pull off both.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:00 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
I didn't care much then and never gave it any thought. I didn't try to conform to the usual expectations and still don't so I wasn't aware of anybody's resentment...it didn't register.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement