Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 08:17 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times

Advertisements

I used to get a lot of flak for not smiling enough and not being enough of a 'people person". I still get flak for that. Obviously it didn't bother me enough for me to attempt to change, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 08:20 PM

1,257 posts, read 889,174 times
Girls were always hating me for liking boys they liked ... or boys they liked, liking me.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:29 PM

638 posts, read 529,741 times
They didn’t hate me or this about me but they said I was too young to be stressed out. I was worried about my future. They were all wrong and I was right: the stakes for getting a good education and great career path early have never been higher. I am glad I didn’t listen to older people who told me to have more fun. I had my fun in my 20s when I had money! And because I didn’t have any fun in my teens, no boyfriends etc., I also had no kids. 9
Years of good wages and no kids. That was awesome.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:43 PM

993 posts, read 767,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I used to be kind of full of myself but now I'm pretty much perfect.
Good one!

Old 10-22-2017, 09:36 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,697,086 times
People always hated the fact that I was always right. In today's society I mighta had a problem as these days people cannot handle, nor do they wanna hear the truth. This here is a softer generation

Old 10-22-2017, 11:32 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I thought I was mistaken once, but I was wrong.

My biggest flaw was I was short with people especially the ones who didn't catch on to things as fast as I thought they should.
Folks said I never thought I was wrong - ever. As I've aged, I have grown to realise I am not as perfect as I once thought. I can now admit I was wrong once in 1972.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:45 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
LOL. I love this part of C-D, for when I am actually retired will be twice as amusing to plumb in-depth. I turn 50 in mere days. I'm well on the way to becoming a curmudgeon. I was born a curmudgeon! If anyone asks ...and they usually don't...if I have, or had, a nickname it's always the same: Ogre. I am a size XL (48R) ogre of a man, then as now, with about the same disposition and willingness to get into it with a passion of pushed just so far...the few times I've asked, people tell me that my BS-o-meter is exceptionally low, thus requiring I keep clear of most people who produce a mountain of it on a daily basis.

Hey, blame the Asperger-y tendencies, I'm somewhere on that Autism Spectrum, pretty sure.

...it's that which people didn't like then, sure don't now, and surely won't when I retire in 10 to 17 years (not sure when I'll be able to, quite yet). I just...don't...give...a....((())) ...what most people think about me, or anything else, that isn't relevant. At all. HOWEVER: I'll spare feelings 99% of the time by simply looking straight ahead and keeping my mouth shut; that has propelled me quite far in business by not being marked down as a troublemaker or loose cannon. I'll supply detailed instructions on "here's what we'll do next" if in-charge. If presenting in a high-performance team, where all input is valuable to overall success, I'll change that to "what if we did (this)..." and be willing to hear, process, improve-upon, or compromise and accept better solutions than what I've proposed.

Little by little, I'm becoming the true me as I age. I'm a loner, it's that simple. I don't fit into boxes, cannot be taken on "couples events" because I usually don't have girlfriends or other dates, being a fly-solo type. "Why don't you have a girlfriend" is met by a bored stare or "I'd sooner drink turpentine and **** on a brushfire." My friend's GFs don't like me, because I'm off doing fun things vs. honey-do's and they're very, very upset that I live quite well indeed with a stylish home that is clean.

People who don't fit into convenent boxes make others very nervous. Very nervous indeed. Don't you think? I revel in upsetting that applecart, watching people squirm when I don't act they way they want.

I'll never live in some damn box again. Carve "He did it His Way" on the tombstone. That 8-ball, ogre-ish, solitary rebel lifestyle really turns many people off, regardless of what they show on the TV or big screen. So, there's an answer....and jeez I'm having a great time creeping up on 50.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:46 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
I think when I was younger, I could be a bit too brutally honest. I have learned to try and not upset people if I can avoid it. Just don't ask me what I think about something or other....... because I'll tell you what I think of it.........

Although, I am finding nowadays that folks tend to smile when I give an honest comment. Sort of like, "aren't old people so funny...." My wife does tend to get a fixed grin, and say, "come along David...... time we went home."........

Old 10-23-2017, 08:32 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I was a very bratty child. I am delightful now.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:05 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I used to be kind of full of myself but now I'm pretty much perfect.
And modest too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement