Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 08:55 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto camper View Post
Face to face customer service seldom is problematic. Traditional grooming and wearing clothing which does not advertise one as a slob is a good habit while on the shopping trail. Many younger people realize retirees have funds and show no negativity in assisting.
For myself it would be a newsworthy event to report anything positive when dealing with any communication regarding the phone. Enduring English as a fourth language spewing from a fast talker dulls a big portion of the day. Seldom is anything accomplished other than unsolved issues and a miserable headache.
Also often times some who had just yelled and swore at me over the phone would come to our office in person to resolve their problem and wind up behaving as nice as can be. Just like in today’s world posters on Social Media and message boards often will say nasty things they would never say to a person’s face. I would encounter callers who began the conversation with cursing and threats before I even got a chance to hear their problems. It’s the anonymity. This type hides behind their electronic devices which gives them a boldness they normally wouldn’t show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 09:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
I am pretty satisfied with most of what I've experienced in the last decade. It seems to me that retail workers are friendlier and more customer oriented than they used to be. We've had to call service people from time to time since we've been retired, and we've had mostly good experiences.

Where I live, health care is good as well.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:47 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,572,361 times
There's nasty and nice across the age spectrum both as customer and as one delivering the service. I don't see any difference.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:30 AM

558 posts, read 338,602 times
The customer service at Lowes/Home Depot/Walmart/Kroger is wonderful. The rest are unpredictable, regardless of your age.

In the last year I got satellite TV and bought my new last(?) brand new car. Both times the customer service guys were begging me to give them perfect scores or it would look bad for them. One guy was great, the other one not so much, but I did not bother. Those restaurant comment cards, same thing. The food/service would need to be horrifyingly bad or outer space perfect for me to bother.

Edit: Enterprise Rent-A-Car and my local AT&T cell phone store are great also. No matter how busy they are, they treat you good.

Last edited by CatPeople; 11-08-2017 at 02:48 AM..

Old 11-08-2017, 03:41 AM

7,025 posts, read 4,901,566 times
I go through fast food drive up windows a lot more than I should (and my waistline is showing it). I have to say, I have yet to really meet a rude employee at the window. I say please and thank you and look the person in the eye when I pay, and it seems to me they always smile at me. And I mean really smile - not just fake smile. If we have time, which isn't often, they even chat a moment.

I just made a stupid mistake in ordering the other day and not only did I get stellar service, I got the item I ordered wrong for free and a "don't worry about it - things happen" from the cashier. And yes, I was embarrassed by how nice she was (and how stupid I was).

These are usually kids about 17 or 18 years old and all I can say is if this is bad service, let there be more of it.

Then there's the tire company I go to. The first time they ever saw me was when I had to order a new tire because the old one was so bald it made Captain Picard look like Fabio. They refused to let me leave on the tire I had, so they put one of their own on and let me go just like that. They had no idea if I was coming back in again with their tire. But I did when my tire arrived, I paid for it, they took off the old one and put on the new one and if it was a hassle for them to do that, they sure didn't show it. And now they have a customer for life.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:45 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,742 times
In regards to begging for a 5 star rating, I seem to recall some surveys that actually asked, "Did the employee mention or request a specific rating on this survey?"

Makes me wonder what would happen if you (honestly) answered Yes, when they did. Would it negate their overall score because it was solicited? Or perhaps leave the rating, but with a footnote?

Anyway, this 5=A and <5=F evaluation system companies have developed has not done customer service perceptions any favors.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:58 AM

558 posts, read 338,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
In regards to begging for a 5 star rating, I seem to recall some surveys that actually asked, "Did the employee mention or request a specific rating on this survey?"

Makes me wonder what would happen if you (honestly) answered Yes, when they did. Would it negate their overall score because it was solicited? Or perhaps leave the rating, but with a footnote?

Anyway, this 5=A and <5=F evaluation system companies have developed has not done customer service perceptions any favors.
@Corvette, never thought of that. I never read the questions. If I like the place, all 5s.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:53 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,863,540 times
I am a YELP er and I am not hesitant to rate places. After coming back from a long car trip, I rated hotels and restaurants that we went to or stayed at. I also rated them on Hotwire as that is where I got the best deals on hotels. I was generous in most cases. One hotel in Ft. Worth, I stated that I would probably not stay there again as they seem to be having a pest control problem. We had to move from the original room we were assigned to another because of the awful odor ( which I think was the pest control spray). Then, I saw a dead cockroach in the lobby area. I got an apology from the manager and while I try to be fair, I really felt like we could have done better at a different hotel. I will say the staff were friendly enough.

I do feel like I am treated with more respect than when I was in my 20s and people thought I didn't have any "money". My daughter who just turned 30 complains about not being treated with respect from plumbers and trades people and other service employees.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:09 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,116,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I go through fast food drive up windows a lot more than I should (and my waistline is showing it). I have to say, I have yet to really meet a rude employee at the window. I say please and thank you and look the person in the eye when I pay, and it seems to me they always smile at me. And I mean really smile - not just fake smile. If we have time, which isn't often, they even chat a moment.

I just made a stupid mistake in ordering the other day and not only did I get stellar service, I got the item I ordered wrong for free and a "don't worry about it - things happen" from the cashier. And yes, I was embarrassed by how nice she was (and how stupid I was).

These are usually kids about 17 or 18 years old and all I can say is if this is bad service, let there be more of it.

Then there's the tire company I go to. The first time they ever saw me was when I had to order a new tire because the old one was so bald it made Captain Picard look like Fabio. They refused to let me leave on the tire I had, so they put one of their own on and let me go just like that. They had no idea if I was coming back in again with their tire. But I did when my tire arrived, I paid for it, they took off the old one and put on the new one and if it was a hassle for them to do that, they sure didn't show it. And now they have a customer for life.

Wonderful post. I feel the same way as you when I go through a fast food window. No matter what I order, I am greeted with a nice smile, patience while I dig out the coins for purchase, and it does put a nice feeling into my day. I feel that way in the grocery store, clothing store, etc. when I receive the same good service.

I resignated with your last line, which I high-lighted above. When the service is so good, I will go back to that person even if I can get what I want and/or need at a lower price. To me it is so worth it.

There is plenty of rudeness in the world. I appreciate the kindness when I find it.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:39 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,583,267 times
I get excellent service from workers young and on up in age. This includes retail workers, library, police, garbage, home repair, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement