Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2017, 11:59 PM

310 posts, read 446,754 times

Advertisements

Our credit union bank asked if we would be interested in speaking to one of their financial advisors. The person they have us talking to is part of LPL financial advisors. The advisor is a member of FINRA/SIPC. I also noted in the email that says not NCUA/NCUSIF insured. Not credit union guaranteed. May lose value. Not obligations of BECU (Boeing Credit Union). We are looking into retiring within five years and are looking for a reputable financial advisor to take over our IRAs and 401(k) which will be rolled over into an IRA. Any recommendations or advice or questions I should ask this financial advisor? Is this a reputable place? I have never heard of LPL financial advisors but I would think that BEC you would have good advisers. Any advice recommendations etc. would be most beneficial and helpful to us. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 12:07 AM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
You should read As LPL Financial Expands, Scrutiny of Its Practices Intensifies - The New York Times

You should run away.

You should become better educated before engaging the services of any advisor.

Spend time at https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
Lots of time

Old 11-15-2017, 06:59 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You should read As LPL Financial Expands, Scrutiny of Its Practices Intensifies - The New York Times

You should run away.

You should become better educated before engaging the services of any advisor.

Spend time at https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
Lots of time
the only problem I have with bogleheads and I do love the site but it is really geared for the person who is super smart on investing. I signed up a few years ago and I knew nothing. well they are not really "patient" with newbies (just my opinions) now I admit my questions were probably kindergarten level questions but whew they were brutal, most typical response was "if you won't bother to learn about investing, you obviously don't care about your money" or some variation.

I read but I definitely don't post there anymore.

Anyhoo, op, here's my story.

My late husband was pretty much the financial "partner" in our marriage. Now I participated and knew pretty much what we had but as far as what to invest in and things like that, he loved it (MBA). So when he died I knew I wanted a financial planner.

I agree with Dave you have to do your homework but I disagree vehemently that they are all con artist out to take your money (I know dave you didn't say that but that is a very prevalent attitude).

Now I'm a research chemist so the thing I do know how to do is investigate. Long story short, after my wonderful old guy died 4 years ago, I know had to take a more hands on approach.

I have a FP who is part of the LPL financial services. They are independent FP that work with LPL as their broker-dealer.

So some of the things you need to find out
1) are you a fiduciary? meaning your interest come first.
2) how do you get paid? if they get commissions from products, pass
3) How will we work together?
4) do you have any complaints or lawsuits against you? check that out?
5) education background? are you a CFP? things like that
6) who is your custodian? some one else must be handling the money. never give any person the keys to the kingdom?

Go on line and google "how to chose a FA" or some thing similar, it will give you a ton of tips.

Now as I learn more and more I'm moving my money to more self invested things but I work well with my financial planner.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:53 AM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default You should be in charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
the only problem I have with Bogleheads and I do love the site but it is really geared for the person who is super smart on investing.
I disagree.
It is for the person who is willing to invest of lot of time/effort in becoming better educated about finances.
For example, if you see a reference to glide path, then you are expected to research and read the original paper.

For me personally, I don't believe in using/paying a financial planner.
Probably because of the 2 engineering degrees and the MBA. After all, engineers know everything.
It is not quantum physics, it is arithmetic.

And, this "I would think that BEC you would have good advisers." is a naïve belief.

Another good site, in my opinion, is Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

And, I think everyone should put their own numbers into Crowdsourced Financial Independence and Early Retirement Simulator/Calculator

Old 11-15-2017, 09:27 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
My experience with my father's LPL advisor has been very positive and I would have no problem recommending him to friends.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:23 AM

5,882 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaimer View Post
Any advice recommendations etc. would be most beneficial and helpful to us. TIA
Find a fee-only (not fee based) advisor near you
https://www.napfa.org/find-an-advisor#tab=filters
https://www.garrettplanningnetwork.com/

The first group tends to focus on on-going money management while the latter tends to do hourly analysis/plan development, etc,

Old 11-15-2017, 11:30 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I disagree.
It is for the person who is willing to invest of lot of time/effort in becoming better educated about finances.
For example, if you see a reference to glide path, then you are expected to research and read the original paper.

For me personally, I don't believe in using/paying a financial planner.
Probably because of the 2 engineering degrees and the MBA. After all, engineers know everything.
It is not quantum physics, it is arithmetic.

And, this "I would think that BEC you would have good advisers." is a naïve belief.

Another good site, in my opinion, is Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

And, I think everyone should put their own numbers into Crowdsourced Financial Independence and Early Retirement Simulator/Calculator
cool just giving my experience with bogle heads.

I am an active participant on early retirement. org though. their retirement calculator can be found at

firecalc.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement