Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 05:29 PM

6 posts, read 11,015 times

Advertisements

I will turn 60 next year and I plan on moving to TN from Westchester NY. I have been working in NYC all my life and I absolutely hate the commute. I only recently moved to Westchester from Long Island and love it here. I have an acre with a stream and many hiking trails near me. I lost my job last June and the salaries in the fashion Industry and dropped significantly. I can no longer afford to live here and have become an obsessive gardener during the Summer. I am looking to move to TN so I can retire on the money that I have saved. I love being outside and chopping wood for my wood burning stove and want a big vegetable garden. I go hiking with my 2 dogs just about every day and I am so happy in the woods. I have so many interests that keep me busy that I would rather do my hobbies than socialize. I had to work with so many back stabbing people in my industry I am so over them! My entire downstairs of my house is a wood shop and I build anything that I need and love doing it. The more projects I finish the more I add to my list to be done. I think you just have to be happy with yourself and you will be happy anywhere you settle. I'm always testing myself on things that I can accomplish and keep on surprising myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 09:32 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
That's hilarious. I'm often in my PJs at all hours because I keep very strange hours. I'm an INTJ, dont go to church, belong to clubs, etc. I tried the search and rescue group for a few yrs, but that turned out to be a fiasco. Part of my problem is that having been a stripper for 10 yrs, and having retired when I was 47 from the university, people become very curious about what I did with my time since retirement. It's not like I can tell the truth because then they all have coronaries and withdraw. When I try to avoid and evade the subject, I've been accused of "holding out". Gads !

I can't lie, but it is tempting to tell them I did secret government contract work I can't talk about. But that won't work eithe,r because how do I then explain who cared for 6 dogs, 30 chickens, a huge house/pool, while I was away playing I-spy?

But seriously, those who have enjoyed a rural setting, as I once did, realize one can get new neighbors who indeed, turn their properties into a junkyard, blast fireworks and rev up ATV's all day long - turning your rural paradise into a nightmare. (my current situation)

Sure, I'd like a small town somewhere around my own, conservative kind. Yet I like the convenience of stores that have what I need when I need it (sewing supplies, vegetarian food, hardware, etc).

This is a good thread with some excellent points. Thanx.
You CAN do Top Secret Intel work remotely, as long as you have encrypted connections to a .mil or .gov network. You have got to have a GSA-approved file cabinet, however - they weigh a ton, and are a b*tch to open. Some have time-controlled locks (e.g., even if you knew the combo, you could not open the thing except during the "window").

Therefore, you COULD pull off the story.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:37 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabinLady View Post
I will turn 60 next year and I plan on moving to TN from Westchester NY. I have been working in NYC all my life and I absolutely hate the commute. I only recently moved to Westchester from Long Island and love it here. I have an acre with a stream and many hiking trails near me. I lost my job last June and the salaries in the fashion Industry and dropped significantly. I can no longer afford to live here and have become an obsessive gardener during the Summer. I am looking to move to TN so I can retire on the money that I have saved. I love being outside and chopping wood for my wood burning stove and want a big vegetable garden. I go hiking with my 2 dogs just about every day and I am so happy in the woods. I have so many interests that keep me busy that I would rather do my hobbies than socialize. I had to work with so many back stabbing people in my industry I am so over them! My entire downstairs of my house is a wood shop and I build anything that I need and love doing it. The more projects I finish the more I add to my list to be done. I think you just have to be happy with yourself and you will be happy anywhere you settle. I'm always testing myself on things that I can accomplish and keep on surprising myself.
I sure hope you let us know the general whereabouts of where you end up. I'd love to come visit!

Old 11-19-2017, 09:54 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Quote:

That's hilarious. I'm often in my PJs at all hours because I keep very strange hours.

This is a good thread with some excellent points. Thanx.
So you were a stripper for 10 years after leaving the university job at age 47? .....or you did stripping before the university job?

I agree this is an interesting thread.

I keep odd hours too - and the maintenance man who likes to knock on the door at all different times (and enter apartments) for weird stuff, finally only got accustomed to me after about 6 years!

Old 11-20-2017, 09:45 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
So you were a stripper for 10 years after leaving the university job at age 47? .....or you did stripping before the university job?

I agree this is an interesting thread.

I keep odd hours too - and the maintenance man who likes to knock on the door at all different times (and enter apartments) for weird stuff, finally only got accustomed to me after about 6 years!

I swear, it's true. I retired when I was 47, got a face lift and boob job, and due to 40+ yrs of ballet lessons and the fact I am a professional middle eastern dance, I had the most amazing body. I worked in El Paso for 10 yrs before my back went out. I made more money working 2 - 3 days a week stripping, than I ever did as a parking director with a MA degree, at the university. I wrote a book and it's on amazon but I can't advertise here. Anyway, Amazon rated it obscene and a person has to check the 'adult lit' box to find it on a search.

I think some folks are wired for a night life, thrill seeking, etc. And people who wonder how an introvert can be a successful entertainer - well, it's like this - when I am on stage, it isn't me, so there is no issue with stage fright, etc.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
I think some folks are wired for a night life, thrill seeking, etc. And people who wonder how an introvert can be a successful entertainer - well, it's like this - when I am on stage, it isn't me, so there is no issue with stage fright, etc.
Actually this is quite true,

True / seasoned / well adjusted introverts can be the 'LIFE of the party' and very successful in community / group leadership. It is 'acting', but it pays well, and they can often do it far better than most who take it too seriously!

These types just MIGHT head for the woods when they are free to escape the 'comedy' of life!

I'll meet you all there, and we can have a good laugh!

Old 11-21-2017, 05:08 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
I don't understand the number of (self-defined) introverts plan to retire in Florida. I acknowledge that putting the words "Florida" and "introvert" in the same sentence seems weird to me.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:01 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,003,187 times
I'm an introvert too (ISTJ), single, female, retired. I've found that living in a condominium in a city is the best lifestyle for me. For many years I lived in a small town and then suburbs and was unhappy in both.

I'd be happier still if this city had good public transportation so I could sell my car and not ever have to drive again, but nothing's perfect I guess.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:20 AM

4,609 posts, read 3,003,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I don't understand the number of (self-defined) introverts plan to retire in Florida. I acknowledge that putting the words "Florida" and "introvert" in the same sentence seems weird to me.
But Florida isn't only Miami Beach....

Old 11-25-2017, 12:12 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,261,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
I'm an introvert and here's a tip. Don't move to a 55+. They'll tell you that you can be as busy or not busy as you want to be. Your choice. But when you never show up to activities or events, you'll be branded a loner. I heard a neighbor talk about another neighbor... "I rang her doorbell at 11 am and she was still in her pajamas. She must be depressed." Good grief.. I wonder what they say about me?
I wouldn't worry about it. We have a condo with neighbors some nice, some cranky. I can stay inside for days and if they talk about me, they talk. In actuality, if the neighbor said the other might have been depressed, it could be that she cares. But we have to live in this world, and sometimes it isn't easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement