Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 10:27 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
"Peace and quiet" is not necessarily found in small towns IME, mainly due to motorcycles, off road vehicles, and ignorant selfish neighbors working on their old cars all day and night. I suggest looking VERY closely at what type of people reside in the town and don't assume it will be Mayberry. As introverts you may not want to be best buddies with your neighbors but they should be basically compatible.
Also, be aware that it is often difficult to sell houses in small towns, especially if they are away from employment opportunities.
Finally, healthcare may be limited or even none existent. This becomes increasingly important as we age obviously.
I moved to a small town knowing that it wasn't going to be a prime social location, but as a pronounced introvert, that was more than fine. The thing is, there is a huge cultural gap between me and them, but they don't push. Neither do I if they don't. It works. I would like a cheap car, but don't feel I'm a safe driver with bad distance perception. But my house is set up unusually, but its just right for me. I don't really expect to be real friends with the neighbors and we speak, but about incidental things.

People mostly respect your space if you respect theirs.

As far as houses, yes, its difficult, but if your buying you can get a very very good deal. Mine was 13k. Its small, only 720 sf but the house is solid and the things money was spent on were unfinished fixes like finishing the gas setup. I've lived here for nearly ten years without any major revisions needed. If your looking at selling down the road, you should remember you might not quickly and might not make a lot, but then you can also BUY for a very good price so there is much less dollars to make up for.

We have three hospitals in our small town, and for a hour's ride tops there are a lot more in Stillwater, where one of the universities is located. I was very happy about the one I picked for medicare.

You can do it, moving in happily, if you remember that while its not going to grow a big cash pile, it won't cost a mint either so you might not need to. And the cost of living in this area is notably low.

Figure in ALL the parts, not just the flow of dollars and potential dollars. If it works for you, don't be afraid of settling into a small town. If your attitude is that you are somehow *better* than them, then its not going to be fun, but if you just be yourself and deal with other human beings you might be surprised.

I wrote this about the time I was homeless. Click on 'blog'

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...47-304243.html

Last edited by nightbird47; 11-16-2017 at 11:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 11:12 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I moved to a small town knowing that it wasn't going to be a prime social location, but as a pronounced introvert, that was more than fine. The thing is, there is a huge cultural gap between me and them, but they don't push. Neither do I if they don't. It works. I would like a cheap car, but don't feel I'm a safe driver with bad distance perception. But my house is set up unusually, but its just right for me. I don't really expect to be real friends with the neighbors and we speak, but about incidental things.

People mostly respect your space if you respect theirs.

As far as houses, yes, its difficult, but if your buying you can get a very very good deal. Mine was 13k. Its small, only 720 sf but the house is solid and the things money was spent on were unfinished fixes like finishing the gas setup. I've lived here for nearly ten years without any major revisions needed. If your looking at selling down the road, you should remember you might not quickly and might not make a lot, but then you can also BUY for a very good price so there is much less dollars to make up for.

We have three hospitals in our small town, and for a hour's ride tops there are a lot more in Stillwater, where one of the universities is located. I was very happy about the one I picked for medicare.

You can do it, moving in happily, if you remember that while its not going to grow a big cash pile, it won't cost a mint either so you might not need to. And the cost of living in this area is notably low.

Figure in ALL the parts, not just the flow of dollars and potential dollars. If it works for you, don't be afraid of settling into a small town. If your attitude is that you are somehow *better* than them, then its not going to be fun, but if you just be yourself and deal with other human beings you might be surprised.
This is the best post I've seen on this issue in a very long time. Thank you!

Old 11-16-2017, 11:31 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
I'm an introvert and here's a tip. Don't move to a 55+. They'll tell you that you can be as busy or not busy as you want to be. Your choice. But when you never show up to activities or events, you'll be branded a loner. I heard a neighbor talk about another neighbor... "I rang her doorbell at 11 am and she was still in her pajamas. She must be depressed." Good grief.. I wonder what they say about me?

Old 11-16-2017, 01:20 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
I'm an introvert and here's a tip. Don't move to a 55+. They'll tell you that you can be as busy or not busy as you want to be. Your choice. But when you never show up to activities or events, you'll be branded a loner. I heard a neighbor talk about another neighbor... "I rang her doorbell at 11 am and she was still in her pajamas. She must be depressed." Good grief.. I wonder what they say about me?
I'm a big fan of working on a project, be it writing or crocheting or stitching or ... , and if its getting late and all the world's asleep exept us night owls, I'm even more in its inspiration with nobody going to bother you. And when at 8am you're sound asleep and not going to get up, if the day trippers decide to 'save' you, I just would smile and tell them and say bye, and close the door. That is if I got up, since when I'm really done and need sleep, I'm not going to wake up and be nice.

Maybe do some special candles, and offer them, and talk about how the energies are so much better late in the night with the dark sky and stars and moon lending their energies....

Maybe nobody would after that, at least nobody who would bother a stranger.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:33 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
One thing to keep in that in small towns or rural areas, the residents have often themselves been there for years (perhaps generations), and some social circles are already pretty full and closed.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:27 PM

6,751 posts, read 5,054,508 times
I grew up in a rural area, and yes most residents either grew up in the area or had lived locally a long, long time. People are generally friendly. Expect them to be cautious with respect to newcomers, but also curious. If you don't want to be bothered much, most will "get the message".

One other thing to note is that it's impossible to be anonymous like you can be in a big city. Neighbors figure out your routine. They will know when you have visitors, when you buy a new car, when you are on vacation, etc. It's usually not a big deal, but don't be surprised if people know a lot more about you than you would expect.

Last edited by hikernut; 11-16-2017 at 03:16 PM..

Old 11-16-2017, 05:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,709 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
[b]Thank you EVERYONE for all your posts so far, ...
The only other concern would be things like "routine" home maintenance. I am one of those "idiots" who doesn't know much beyond how to change a lightbulb!

But then in thinking of the above concerns, ...

So, I guess my thinking is that I might at least live somewhere beautiful!

!
Thanks for return message,

1) You will be fine with the "Fix-it' stuff as rural neighbors and farmers know how to do about everything, and they won't gouge you as in Suburbia (Make a profit mentality)

2) Definitely worth it to live (retire) in a beautiful area. I have been blessed with 40+ mile uninterrupted views most my life and I am very appreciative. Spend an hour a day with sunrise, or sunset, (or BOTH), and the rest of the day is gorgeous as well. I like to weather watch, and our current home is at an elevation where the clouds below are heading west and the clouds above are headed east.. When the lower clouds get to moving too fast they have to roll up over some cliffs and the view gets interesting.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/423408802439915018/

Very peaceful to see what interesting view may come along each hour.

Old 11-16-2017, 05:57 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
How much of the Gorge is left after this recent massive fire?

Old 11-16-2017, 06:37 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
I think living in a small town it is more difficult to stay to yourselves because people actively try to get you involved and want to know everything about you. To me, an introvert would be better off in a larger city or suburb where they can blend in and no one really notices or cares about their comings and goings or lack thereof.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:16 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,959,283 times
It sounds like it is already just you two. I don't see any mention of family or close friends or pets or activities. If that's the case you can live anywhere you have a phone, the internet and cable TV.

When we retired 9 years ago we moved from NYC to a suburban area about 50 miles south. We live in a small middle/working class development that was built about 40 years ago. A flipper renovated and expanded our house from the ground up to the roof, inside and out just before we bought it, so it was essentially a new house. We added hardwood flooring, a kitchen island, a back yard deck, privacy fencing on both sides and a new driveway. It's a 1400 sq. foot ranch house on 1/3 of an acre, backing up to woods.

My wife and I haven't been to the city since we moved here and don't miss it. Neither of us misses working either. We are happy with the house, the area, the scenery and the quiet. People are friendly but not nosey. Mostly you just say hello or goodbye to neighbors while taking a walk or getting the mail. We can email or talk on the phone to friends and relatives. The strip malls in the area have all the shopping and services we had in the city. Except for food, pharmacy items and major appliances we mostly shop online instead of going to stores and malls.

After we moved we got all new doctors and dentists, etc. without a problem. For the most part we enjoy our daily tasks, shopping, cooking, gardening, walking, TV, the internet, reading etc. We presently have no desire to travel, go places or see things outside of our own area here.

Last edited by bobspez; 11-16-2017 at 07:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement