Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 10:10 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,561,212 times

Advertisements

When I used to work in Social Services we found a lot of seniors taking 15-20 different meds. Not a good thing. One day I went to a mini conference put on by a pharmaceutical guy. He spoke of the dangers of mixing certain medications and side effects of various drugs. Half way through the presentation he said flat out that substituting wine for certain anti-anxiety and sleeping medications is a good idea as wine is healthier and has fewer side effect than those certain medications. Of course he said if you're an alcoholic stick with the medications. I guess what I'm saying is look at your total medication picture, not just alcohol.

I enjoy wine with friends and have no plans to stop drinking, but it's about personal choice.

Last edited by Mr5150; 12-10-2017 at 10:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 10:32 AM

12,056 posts, read 8,452,533 times
I have a friend (from kindergarten) who has been retired for quite a while but still works like a crazy man. Once, when I asked him why he still works like his life depends on it he answered with all sincerity, "Lodestar, I'm afraid that if I weren't working I'd be sitting around drinking."

I never knew him to be a person who drank too much so his answer was surprising.

Alcoholism among seniors is on the rise and also contributes to or complicates a number of existing health problems which cause lowered mortality rates. I'm glad, gentlearts, that you've decided not to participate.

Here's a "just because" that I ponder: Our treatment centers are no longer quiet, well-regulated mini-hospitals where alcoholics can dry out and be guided into a new, sober lifestyle. Now they are chaotic, sometimes violent, full of criminals escaping prosecution, meth addicts and their unpredictable behavior, and the unstabilized mentally ill. They are no safe place for anyone including staff and the elderly.

I'd recommend that any retiree who wants to develop a drinking problem that may require treatment at some point wait until they start opening specialized treatment for seniors.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:36 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,670,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Good for you. I'll have a small 7oz beer at night. But then maybe more than one??

I can't drink hard liquor or wine because it exaggerates my rosacea. Can't be looking like that. One small beer doesn't do that.

The calories you will save will help you lose the extra pounds.

You too, huh. I started developing rosacea a couple years ago and after reading how alcohol exacerbates it---I decided to pretty much stop. That and the calories! I hardly eat anything so it has to be the booze. Then, DH "falls asleep" after a couple and misses whatever we're watching on Netflix. I just leave him on the couch for the whole night.

It gets old, especially in retirement. Time to clean up our act. It's not easy when it's been your "go-to" for many years. We get inspiration from this great song by Joe Walsh (who kicked it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKnk15p3YAU

Old 12-10-2017, 10:50 AM

4,641 posts, read 11,949,435 times
Not that we were heavy drinkers when we met, but husband and I made a conscious decision to not drink alcohol when raising our kids. We just didn't have time or money for it. That phase lasted close to 20 years. No kidding.

Now we are close to 50. We go out once or twice a week. We limit # drinks and time spent drinking. We do not drink at home.

We also don't do happy hours--we tried them once, but our happy hour turned into hours. We don't do day drinking, either. Personally, I don't like wine or beer so there's another limit. I also like expensive rums and tequilas--no substitutes. That limits me, too.

We were shocked by how much drinking is going on around us. We have friends who plan free time around happy hour. Vacations are spent drinking all day.

Alcohol seems to be everywhere lately. I went to a baby shower where alcohol was served. It didn't even occur to me to have alcohol at my baby showers. I have been to memorial services where the booze is flowing. Wine is everywhere. And when we do go out, I'm always surprised at the people I see doing shots + their alcoholic drink. This seems particularly dangerous to me.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:54 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,791,389 times
I did my share of social drinking, after work and often a glass of wine while cooking dinner. Shopping and seeking out special wines, organics and buying the best I wanted to afford at those times.

With advancing arthritis and my walking getting worse, the last thing I need is to be tipsy and fall ... so I just gradually stopped all alcohol. Threw some bottles out a few yrs ago and found a half bottle of Smirnoff Crystal in the freezer which is still there. Haven't touched it.

I agree about the meds and alcohol and my father drank enough for everyone in the family...I never worried about that issue for me, but I questioned it a time.

I'll have a beer at home on a Really hot day but that's it. Don't miss it and now spend my money on quality waters.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:59 AM

6,780 posts, read 5,501,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
A couple of things I’ve noticed in the past few years have caused me give it up.

Since the kids have been gone, dh and I have observed cocktail hour at 5:00 pm every night. It has been a pleasant ritual before dinner, a time to pause and share the events of the day. Nice. I have 2 Manhattans and hubby has more. He’s fine with it, but I’m done.

Firstly, I was having trouble sleeping at night. I fell right to sleep, but then I’d wake up at about 3 am and toss and turn for hours. Since I quit drinking, I sleep through the night.

Second, during the day, I eat like a bird. After a few bites, I’ve had enough. After cocktails, I feel as if I eat too much at dinner....my internal regulator turned off. As someone who could stand to lose 30#, I’m hoping that the loss of calories will pay off in the waistline.

Third, I noticed that some of our older senior friends drink way too much. The cocktails start earlier and end later. It’s a slippery slope I don’t want to fall into.

Lastly, and this was the last straw for me... We were expecting a robo call about a delivery for the next day. The next day came, and I mentioned to dh that we hadn’t gotten the call yet. He looked at me funny. He said I had answered the call, and I had told him the time they were coming. I still have absolutely no memory of the call, and it really scared me.

I’m not saying I won’t have a sip of spiked eggnog, or a glass of wine during the holidays, but I’m feeling really positive about my decision. I feel as though I’m giving my body a gift.

It probably has something to do with both my sister and sister in law dying this year. I’m probably not immortal.
Congratulations!

Alcohol disrupts sleep. It may put you to sleep but as you pointed out it ultimately interferes with restful sleep.

Next alcohol can disrupt the circadian rhythm of the digestive system.

Also, when you are sober, it IS interesting to note. How much others drink and what absolute fools they become under the influence. You don't notice it when you are drinking also.

Lastly. You had a blackout moment. Good of you to notice right away. That definitely means alcohol is a problem for you.

I used to party hardy in my 20s, but by age 30, I noticed the same things you did. At one time in my 20s I drank as much as a gallon and a half of vodka a day, and held down two jobs. I was what they call a " functional alcoholic".

When. I met my OH, my OH knew and didn't interfere with my " dropout weekends " where is just drink to oblivion, but I'd get straight by the end. I started to realize the same things you did, and one day just stopped with the vodka. Then I turned to just wine, but soon grew tired of it. So I stopped. I told my OH, who would only party with friends to stay sober once as I was and watch how their personalities changed as they got more wasted. My OH did just that and said those precious words "you were right. They change and not for the better". That stopped my OH s paryuibg with them all together.

I recently went on a bender, in a deep depression when all the flooding was going on in Texas. I watched the news and thought " if it happened here is probably drown as I'm not sober enough to evacuate ". Then My OH said pointedly " I need you to be sober in case something happens ". That's the last I drank like that.

Noe if I have 4 glasses of wine a year on special occasions, I thinks that's too much.

Life is much better when not viewed through an alcoholic veil.

Plus I take 19 prescriptions and alcohol and prescriptions don't mix well.

Again, congrats on getting sober! Keep up the good work!

Last edited by galaxyhi; 12-10-2017 at 12:20 PM..

Old 12-10-2017, 11:32 AM

50,393 posts, read 64,095,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
FWIW, that's not "just because." Many people give up drinking for a variety of reasons and you have yours. So are you looking for responses from people who have given up alcohol for specific reasons or rather from people who have simply stopped drinking for no particular reason?

With all due respect, have you considered that your husband may be on that slippery slope? You said he drinks more than two Manhattans every day. What's more than two? Three? Five? Seven? Several cocktails every single day (21+/week) is quite a lot.
Oh, yes indeed, I have.. I think he drinks too much, and he knows my feelings. It’s his decision, though.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I stopped drinking with the exception of the occasional beer when my daughter was born 29 years ago. I've seen that crap ruin more than a handful of lives. Stay away from it.
Of course it has ruined many lives. My point was that even if one is not addicted, it still is a good idea to quit, or severely limit, alcohol anyway.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:58 AM

2,518 posts, read 3,415,801 times
Never have been an alcohol drinker due to the fact that my father was a dedicated alcoholic for the first 20 years of my life, his father drank but successfully quit drinking, and his father's father died from extreme alcoholism, so it definitely doesn't appeal to me.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Never have been an alcohol drinker due to the fact that my father was a dedicated alcoholic for the first 20 years of my life, his father drank but successfully quit drinking, and his father's father died from extreme alcoholism, so it definitely doesn't appeal to me.
My own father drank excessively after he retired. This has factored in for me too probably. I know for sure, I don’t have the addiction gene, thank goodness, but still, better safe than sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement