Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 08:19 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times

Advertisements

A couple of things I’ve noticed in the past few years have caused me give it up.

Since the kids have been gone, dh and I have observed cocktail hour at 5:00 pm every night. It has been a pleasant ritual before dinner, a time to pause and share the events of the day. Nice. I have 2 Manhattans and hubby has more. He’s fine with it, but I’m done.

Firstly, I was having trouble sleeping at night. I fell right to sleep, but then I’d wake up at about 3 am and toss and turn for hours. Since I quit drinking, I sleep through the night.

Second, during the day, I eat like a bird. After a few bites, I’ve had enough. After cocktails, I feel as if I eat too much at dinner....my internal regulator turned off. As someone who could stand to lose 30#, I’m hoping that the loss of calories will pay off in the waistline.

Third, I noticed that some of our older senior friends drink way too much. The cocktails start earlier and end later. It’s a slippery slope I don’t want to fall into.

Lastly, and this was the last straw for me... We were expecting a robo call about a delivery for the next day. The next day came, and I mentioned to dh that we hadn’t gotten the call yet. He looked at me funny. He said I had answered the call, and I had told him the time they were coming. I still have absolutely no memory of the call, and it really scared me.

I’m not saying I won’t have a sip of spiked eggnog, or a glass of wine during the holidays, but I’m feeling really positive about my decision. I feel as though I’m giving my body a gift.

It probably has something to do with both my sister and sister in law dying this year. I’m probably not immortal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 08:36 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,584,588 times
I think your husband having beyond (more than) two Manhattans every night before dinner is an awful lot! I consider that heavy drinking.

That's quite a 5:00pm cocktail hour you have going every night. It does seem excessive to me.

I've found that drinking doesn't mix well with blood pressure medication.

As an aside, my brother drank and smoked himself to death, causing his death at age 62, but mostly drank himself to death.

I was startled to hear that there is a lot of excessive drinking at some or many 55+ housing developments.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:38 AM

498 posts, read 572,147 times
I no longer drink. Just don't enjoy wine or mixed drinks. Never was a big drinker. Plus some meds I take don't mix well with booze. I have seen that "slippery slope" of which you speak....especially with seniors. Not pretty.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:06 AM

253 posts, read 235,361 times
I never took it up because alcoholism was all over my family tree. I think my genes might be those of an easy addict.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:07 AM

372 posts, read 576,462 times
Like the OP, I have also stopped drinking, pretty recently, for many of the same reasons.

I also suffered from sleep disruption, memory loss, and basically eating
anything not nailed down in the evenings, even though I’d been carefully
watching calories all day.

For most of my life, I didn’t really drink much; my work schedule included teaching evening classes and grading papers, so there really wasn’t much time for drinking.

However, in my late 40s and early 50s, I had moved from academia to corporate work, with regular 8-5 work hours, so enjoying a glass or two of wine in the evening became a pleasant way to wind down from the workday and the SF Bay Area commute.

We also lived near many wonderful wineries in Northern California, which added to the experience of enjoying the wine.

In the past few years since retirement and relocation, we had continued to drink wine, but I was starting earlier in the day and was drinking more as a result.

That became a problem for my husband and for me, so about 6 months ago, my husband and I just decided not to keep wine in the house any longer, and that abstention has extended to meals out and social settings.

Our neighbors have gotten used to us coming to their gatherings with water or Tejava in hand (they do tease us about the cases of Tejava they see stacked in the garage), and we both feel much better.

Every so often, we will be standing outside looking over our yard and talk about how nice a good glass of wine would be. However, our last wine club shipment arrived, and none of it really was that great.

I think once we broke the habit, we just lost the taste for wine, even the good stuff.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:10 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,024,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
A couple of things I’ve noticed in the past few years have caused me give it up.

Since the kids have been gone, dh and I have observed cocktail hour at 5:00 pm every night. It has been a pleasant ritual before dinner, a time to pause and share the events of the day. Nice. I have 2 Manhattans and hubby has more. He’s fine with it, but I’m done.

Firstly, I was having trouble sleeping at night. I fell right to sleep, but then I’d wake up at about 3 am and toss and turn for hours. Since I quit drinking, I sleep through the night.

Second, during the day, I eat like a bird. After a few bites, I’ve had enough. After cocktails, I feel as if I eat too much at dinner....my internal regulator turned off. As someone who could stand to lose 30#, I’m hoping that the loss of calories will pay off in the waistline.

Third, I noticed that some of our older senior friends drink way too much. The cocktails start earlier and end later. It’s a slippery slope I don’t want to fall into.

Lastly, and this was the last straw for me... We were expecting a robo call about a delivery for the next day. The next day came, and I mentioned to dh that we hadn’t gotten the call yet. He looked at me funny. He said I had answered the call, and I had told him the time they were coming. I still have absolutely no memory of the call, and it really scared me.

I’m not saying I won’t have a sip of spiked eggnog, or a glass of wine during the holidays, but I’m feeling really positive about my decision. I feel as though I’m giving my body a gift.

It probably has something to do with both my sister and sister in law dying this year. I’m probably not immortal.
FWIW, that's not "just because." Many people give up drinking for a variety of reasons and you have yours. So are you looking for responses from people who have given up alcohol for specific reasons or rather from people who have simply stopped drinking for no particular reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
With all due respect, have you considered that your husband may be on that slippery slope? You said he drinks more than two Manhattans every day. What's more than two? Three? Five? Seven? Several cocktails every single day (21+/week) is quite a lot.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:15 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,448,119 times
I stopped drinking with the exception of the occasional beer when my daughter was born 29 years ago. I've seen that crap ruin more than a handful of lives. Stay away from it.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:25 AM

1,665 posts, read 975,968 times
I used to drink around the fire at home. Just got to where I was getting tired of the taste, the queasy feeling and the occasional hang over. And I wouldn't drink too much. 3-4 beers, tops.

Hard alcohol just would get me angry and mean. Not towards my wife. But had a few cases where my cousins fiance would begin treating her terribly and I would take up for her and fight him. I later found out that he DID learn his lesson. Haha..

So...I just decided to just quit drinking all together. And I've had no urge to drink still.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:35 AM

696 posts, read 704,064 times
I was never one to drink all that much. A couple of episodes when I was 19 or 20 (drinking age was 18) where I acted like a fool were embarrassing. I might have a drink at a wedding or celebration, but thinking about the empty calories, as well as the fear of acting like an idiot, is enough to keep me away.

What I don't like is when I go to a party and people try to push me to drink and give me a hard time for drinking diet soda or water. Drink what you want, and let me drink what I want.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:44 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
Good for you. I'll have a small 7oz beer at night. But then maybe more than one??

I can't drink hard liquor or wine because it exaggerates my rosacea. Can't be looking like that. One small beer doesn't do that.

The calories you will save will help you lose the extra pounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement