Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2017, 08:15 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,260,495 times

Advertisements

I asked this in Health & Wellness but no reply. Perhaps this group with more "seniors" who actually underwent cataract removal and replacement can help.

Was all exercising proscribed? Or were you advised that low impact lower body movements such as using a mini-stepper and mini-elliptical are OK? What about upper-body resistance work with elastic bands? I realize that heavy lifting is taboo, but cannot do that stuff anymore anyway.

Obviously I'll ask the ophthalmologist when I can get an appt., but am anxious to get a feel of what's ahead for me. Thanx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 09:12 AM

25,607 posts, read 17,334,751 times
The recovery from cataract surgery and replacement was so fast and so painless and even so uneventful that I was able to go back to work in about 4 days.

My job required some pretty heavy physical stuff; no one ever cautioned me about do it.

You will be amazed. In my case, I was astounded. I went from having 20/400 vision to having 20/20. I could not WAIT to have the other eye done.
Today, and age 72, I just wear reading glasses. 1.5 reading glasses.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:27 AM

2,911 posts, read 2,155,737 times
the main restriction i was given was lifting heavy objects and bending over at the waist. i went hiking two days after surgery. restrictions were minimal. low impact things as you describe are probably going to be fine.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:51 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,025,494 times
Your eyes are VERY vascular. So anything such as plain walking that raises your heart rate should be good for healing. I would not do anything though that gets you breathing too hard right away, as you don't actually want to jack up your blood pressure too much.

Old 12-24-2017, 05:07 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,278,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The recovery from cataract surgery and replacement was so fast and so painless and even so uneventful that I was able to go back to work in about 4 days.

My job required some pretty heavy physical stuff; no one ever cautioned me about do it.

You will be amazed. In my case, I was astounded. I went from having 20/400 vision to having 20/20. I could not WAIT to have the other eye done.
Today, and age 72, I just wear reading glasses. 1.5 reading glasses.
I had lasik, and a 'reshaping' of the cornea and neither lasted, but when I had cataract surgery and the lens was replaced it was a whole new world. The only disorientation was having to adjust to actually have depth perception.

If I'd have known how good the results are, I'd have not hesitated. I had lasik and it worked well, with really odd perception, and depth perception was iffy at best.

If you have catarac surgery with a plastic replacement lens, does this make your eyes bionic?

Old 12-24-2017, 05:45 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,375,345 times
I went bike riding that same night. Easy peasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement